Search results

1. G

Was Lewis Robbed?

After the farce at Spa, F1 fell off my radar. I see they had another safety car disaster yesterday.
  2. G

Gang tackling

I was interested by the Irish tackling technique last Saturday. First man in was holding up the ball carrier. Second in was wrapping an arm around his throat and pulling back Third in was ripping the ball. This happened at least four times and was so well executed, it must have been coached...
  3. G

Held up - no try

Could I ask for your enlightenment again, please. If the ball is held up in goal, scrum 5 attack ball is the call. But if it is held up short of the line, why is it still given as attack ball? Doesn't the same law apply as in general play, that if the ball doesn't go to ground, it is turned over?
  4. G

A ruck question

I'd appreciate your inputs, gentlemen, on an incident in the Ireland v France game. If you have it recorded, or have access to iplayer, it's at about 41 mins in the first half. Ireland rucking just on the French line. Ireland player with two men bound on behind him, reaches into the ruck and...
  5. G

Another ruck question....

.... to be shot down. Ruck has formed and is in progress. Player arrives from a legal direction but fails to bind. Without any other offences, is he not offside? Just asking because if he is, then this is easier to call than almost any of the other possible ofences.
  6. G

Ball scrambled dead

Blue kick ahead into Red in-goal area. Red player knocks ball over dead-ball line. 22 or penalty? No question of penalty try - nobody near enough to score.
  7. G

Advice and info please

On a large number of occasions yesterday, 5 or 6 French players were alone in a ruck, with no Welsh players engaging. In fact until I watch again, I cannot be sure that a ruck was ever formed in accordance with the LotG. What options were open to the French under these conditions?
  8. G

A proposal - if I've got the current situation right

Just watched Cardiff Blues v Newport Gwent Dragons. About 27 mins in, NGD prop is YCd. A minute or two later, the other NGD prop is YCd. Next scrum, ref demands front row replacements. NGD have one prop, who comes on replacing a back row, and a hooker who doesn't. We now have 8 minutes-ish...
  9. G

ITV commentary comments

Last night's commentary, early in first half. Wales put on a rolling maul and get pinged for an accidental offside, scrum Japan. Man with mike advises the watching world that: Wales took the ball in the line-out and started the maul - the Japanese stood back. Therefore, when the Welsh made...
  10. G

I am confused (not for the first time)

LAW 21.7 WHAT THE OPPOSING TEAM MUST DO AT A PENALTY KICK (a) Must run from the mark. The opposing team must immediately run towards their own goal line until they are at least 10 metres away from the mark for the penalty kick, or until they have reached their goal line if that is nearer the...
  11. G

Is this still the law?

"LAW 5.2 HALF TIME After half time the teams change ends. There is an interval of not more than 10 minutes. The length of the interval is decided by the match organiser, the Union or the recognised body which has jurisdiction over the game. During the interval the teams, the referee and the...
  12. G

Why bother?

As in why do referees bother, when this is the result: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/bath/6217397.stm One week for stamping on a player! It's a joke and a disgrace.
  13. G

Happy New year to all Rugby Refs

To all those who give up their time so that 30 or so people who should know better can play ball either in floods and mud or on the concrete grounds of late spring - I wish you all a year in which you always make the correct decision, and even when you don't it isn't questioned.
  14. G

Not to re-open an old thread, but

We said it wouldn't happen, but in tonight's Blues v Ospreys match, it did. Blues player passed ball over his shoulder and was called for a forward pass. Clearly the referee was not moving to keep up with play.
  15. G

Paddy O'Brien on Stellenbosch Laws

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/6165032.stm Don't think there's anything we haven't talked about, but over to you.
  16. G

Boot on body

Following on from other discussions on this topic, wich I cannot immediately find: Scotland v PI 25 minutes gone, Scotland have attacking ruck. PI player reaches over and grabs ball, ref calls advantage. Scottish player applies boot to arm/hand of PI player to release ball and play...
  17. G

No more backchat?

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20665620-2722,00.html It'll be interesting to see how long it takes the players to come to terms with this.
  18. G

WRU to hold refs summit

http://www.wru.co.uk/2_7260.php An excellent idea, IMO, but I do wish they'd invite the Scots and Irish who ref our CL matches. Consistency within the union is good, but consistency within a league is also useful.
  19. G

Multiple yellows?

In last night's Wales v Italy under-21 match, the Italians were one man short for a yellow card offence. They then committed another similar offence and the ref called over player and captain and told them, in essence, that if they weren't already a man down, they would be getting a yellow...
  20. G

More changes to come

http://sport.independent.co.uk/rugby_union/article350299.ece I'm not sure that we will still have Rugby Union if these go through. What's the verdict??