No more backchat?

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well, that's how it should be anyway (just most of us don't seem to want to do it). Just a case of ramming home the message? (A la the iRB's release about the use of feet on players last year).

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Excellent news and can't wait for it to be imnplemented in Showbiz Rugby !

Keep the game moving !

I ignore skippers who want to debate a decision iof it is a ploy to prevent a quick tap and go and remind them of pre-match briefing that I will happily discuss matters at next natural breakdown.

And at levels 6, 7, and 8 with physios etc on the touchline able to come on, I am not stopping for minor injuries either if the player is away from the next phase of play.
At Youth level it is very different and player safety and referee concern for any injured player comes first under Child Welfare Guidelines.

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Simon, you've just reminded me of something there (and I plan to very momentarily hijack the thread - apologies in advance). You mention injuries and differences at youth level. I had a county U16 B team this afternoon, and as I awarded a PK, a player on the team who had been awarded the PK (on their 5m line) asked for the physio. Busted his thumb. The physio checked it out and bandaged it up. I held up play (stopped the watch of course) and waited. About half-way through this incident (which lasted about 5 minutes) I started to think, 'He's just standing there getting it bandaged up, I should have asked him to step off to the side of the pitch and carry on.' - What do you think in this situation?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Anything beyond a couple of minutes is too long for me.
Also depends weher we are on the pitch, score at time, tempo of game, etc.
Blood injury - get him off to touchline asap.
Hand, shoulder etc get him off too.
Obviously leg, knee and ankle injuries and any serious concussion / neck injury or any other injury serious enough don't move him

If it is an U18 player you must be more cautious.

I would have asked the physio 'is he ready to carry on ?".
Then :
"What treatment is needed ?"
"Can he be moved to the touchline ? "
"Is it blood and require a blood replacement ?"
Involve the Coach too if he is there - in a County match you should be able to rely on physio and coach.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Think I'll be watching the Australia - Wales game with great interest!

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
lol, probably the best for maintaining that law.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
I follow my Chairman in matters concerning chat at penalty time, as I think do most in these here parts. Perhaps Paddy O'Brien has been down to Hampshire recently and pinched another good idea to take back to the IRB?

I do like the bit about the TMO's increased responsibilities '...the benefit of the doubt will no longer go in favour of the defending team.' DaveT will note that this backs up my argument in awarding tries where the decision is not always a simple one. (N.B. I did not say where there is doubt...)

Padster

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have also taken to including it in my pre-match briefing that I will happily talk to the captains about decisions but not until a natural opportunity arises. It certainly helps keep the pace of the game up.
On the matter of injuries for young players I had an Under 16 in a county game yesterday go down 5 times. After the second time I queried the safety aspect with the physio but he was happy for the lad to carry on. My senior ref who was running touch quite rightly advised me not to show impatience at the continual injuries. My first concern was for the lad's welfare.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Deeps - possibly a bit philosophical... but perhaps you can help me differentiate between a difficult decision and one where there is doubt?

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
I wait for Saturday's clash with baited breath.
Will the guys in the middle carry P OB's warnings out, and, more excitingly even, will the players take heed and shut up???

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
perhaps there is a clear need for "injury bin" rather than just "blood bin" at youth/children's levels?

didds

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
didds said:
perhaps there is a clear need for "injury bin" rather than just "blood bin" at youth/children's levels?

didds

In U19 and below games regulated by the English RFU you effectively have one - rolling substitutes are allowed so there's nothing stopping their coaches subbing off a hurt player and bringing him back on once they're confident he's OK.

Padster

Referees in England
Post Likes
It was a bit difficult for all concerned in this case as the game was effectively part of the trial process for the lads. He did not want to go off so that he could impress the selectors. As referee safety is my first concern.

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
paul "substitutes are allowed so there's nothing stopping their coaches subbing off a hurt player and bringing him back on once they're confident he's OK."
is that your understanding of rolling subs? not mine.
anyone else?
if a u19 player is injured and is replaced bec of that injury he is not coming back on my pitch.....

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
First define injury.

U19 player in a heavy tackle - winded, needs 5 - 10 minutes to suck in some air and then is fine.

Rolling sub would be fine, surely.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Davet said:
Deeps - possibly a bit philosophical... but perhaps you can help me differentiate between a difficult decision and one where there is doubt?

Well I think one can make a decision difficult in one's own mind by requiring too high a differential in the balance of probabilities that either one or the other event occurred. It is easy to decide an outcome based on observance of black or white however some are not prepared to countenance shades of grey and will opt out of making a clear decision on a less then unequivocal event.

True leaders of men are prepared to accept the consequences of decisions made on the balance of probabilities and to turn a grey decision to their advantage. As we have seen recently, it's good that the IRB is directing referees to give due credit to attacking sides positive play.