15 minute half time?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
see my points on the rfu forum.

the elite end of the game does not see any need to follow the laws where they deem them inappropriate and any time worrying about it is wasted.

didds

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
IRB Law 5.2 clearly states that half time should not be more than 10 minutes, and the actual length is decided by match organiser, Union, or recognised body with juristicatio over game.

As Didds states the PRL seems to make up their own regulations outside the IRB Law limits - it is not the Game we referee, so why worry about it ?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
It is easy to be cynical, but I cannot say this particular move bothers me unduly.

I note that in American Football half time is 12 minutes. Weird.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Why is that weird OB - standard US network ad break length.

Most US sport is driven by TV rights and commercial breaks.

Tibbs

Referees in England
Post Likes
Simon Thomas said:
Why is that weird OB - standard US network ad break length.

Most US sport is driven by TV rights and commercial breaks.

Putting my cynics hat on is that why the GP has gone to 15 minutes - to give Sky time to cram more ad breaks in?

He who pays the piper...

Chris

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I was living in the USA when the change was made, increasing it from 10 minutes to 12. Some wanted 15, but others argued it would be too long.

I think we are dealing with spurious accuracy here.

It is not an ad break length, of course. The "experts" :D use much of it for analysis. I think 12 minutes in an hour is about what they are allowed for ads, but may be out of date.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I saw some press coverage over the weekend tsuggesting hat the proposed 15 minute GPL half time may not be allowed as it has not been sanctioned by the iRB (as it has to be as it is in the Law Book), or even applied for and the next iRB meeting that could approve it (if they agreed to it) is some months away.
GPL two fingers to RFU is one thing, but one finger to iRB is quite another - be interesting to see what happens.

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
So SANZA can modify laws as they wish ... whither and hither ... willy nilly .. but a slight modification by RFU for the better for all ... and IRB say no...

ummmm

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
ex-Lucy

a cynic might say SANZA and iRB are one and the same these days !

and SANZA probbaly go throught the correct iRB channels and procedures when the make their changes.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The 15 minute half time and unopposed scrum issues have appeared in national press today as there was a RFU 'Elite Referees and Disciplinary Officer's Media Briefing' held yesterday. Click here

Lots of good stuff to digest, not just the two issues above, but lots of others which have been covered in lots of threads on here.

And a very clear warning from His Honour Judge Jeff Blackett (RFU Disciplinary Officer) who said that if teams took a 15-minute half-time and there was a breach of an IRB regulation then he would decide what action would be taken against the club.

Remember that all this is for the Elite Game and bears no relevance to the Community Game we are involved in !

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Interesting comment from Jeff Blackett with respect to dynamic rucking. I see Pandora's Box looming into view...

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
The Telegraph said:
The clubs want the longer interval to help increase bar and food sales
So an extra 5 minutes at the bar will give Joe Average the extra incentive to buy a meat pie, packet of salt and vinegar crisps, and 4 pints? You're kidding right? Does that extra 5 minutes really make a difference? By the time I've gone to queue up for food/beer, if the match is going to kick-off I'm going to head straight back to my seat. I'll sacrifice missing the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half for that great taste of instant coffee, curried chips, and steak pie.

Frankly, the best way to fix this is to increase the amount of vendors at the grounds. I don't know why they've not brought in the North American system of having food brought to the spectator directly from the Beer-guy, Pie-guy, curry-guy, whoever it may be. Nothing like a pint of the local stuff and a couple meat-pies without having to leave the comfort of my own seat. Now that is decadence.

Mmm pies...

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Bryan said:
Frankly, the best way to fix this is to increase the amount of vendors at the grounds. I don't know why they've not brought in the North American system of having food brought to the spectator directly from the Beer-guy, Pie-guy, curry-guy, whoever it may be. Nothing like a pint of the local stuff and a couple meat-pies without having to leave the comfort of my own seat. Now that is decadence.

Mmm pies...

Now I'm hungry. Not sure there's anywhere around here to get a meat pie though. Unless I head downtown and look for a pub, but pub lunch on a Tuesday just seems a bit decadent.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
thehookah said:
pub lunch on a Tuesday just seems a bit decadent.
That's me! Every Tuesday I meet a colleague to discuss the week's rugby, and occasionally other things.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Bryan

There are three reasons why the excelent US system of mobile refreshment vendors probably would not work in England

a) UK Govt Health & Safety at sports grounds legislation is prohibitive of mobile vendors
b) English rugby has no issues with mixed fan groups drinking, eating etc together. However the soccer stadia are a very different matter and we are lucky enough to have a little more relaxed rules for rugby than soccer already. Anything more will only highlight the issue.
c) Vendors pay a franchise for their 'pitch' or are a club / stadium owner unit - I suspect there are local authority and safety inspector limits set on the numbers allowed in a major stadium.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Rowly "The Wasps Caoch" was speaking at our conference on Sunday and commented that Wasps now have a digital feed into their changing room so the can analyse the first half during the half time break.

I suspect the may be common through the GP Clubs and the extra 5 minutes may be to help them prepare what they need to do in the second half.

This (IMO) will only lead to a better game.

I see a 15 minute break as no big deal, but another comment could be that the pace and ferocity of the GP premiership now (which is awesome at times) may also make a 15 minute break rather than a 10 minute break, necessary.