Am I too much of a mug....

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
....not some much a bad experience as a frustrating one.

Last reffed on the w/e after new years. Happy that I'm getting appointed to the better end of midweeks and colts games on sunday following my oh no you ain't oh yes you are promotion.

Got appointed Monday to a tidy VIth form match for today between two of the better rugby playing schools/colleges in the county. Happy Days.

Late last night I get a call from the appt secretary. Would I mind swapping games with another referee. The other fella has a lunch time meeting in the same town as I work in and wont be able to get to his game 30+ miles away.

So I think 'eh? bit of a cheek' and listen whilst appt sec kicks the last nail in by explaining the distant game is U15's. But I like to be liked and think 'what the heck take whatever you're offered' so say yes.

Today at 11 I get a call to say that because the society had been slow getting back to the U15's home side they had found a ref elsewhere and I wasn't needed and I'm, like, WTF?

So brothers and sisters in arms. You take that call last night. Would you stick to your guns and say sorry can't help you I've made arrangements etc.. or something similar so as to retain your appointment?

I recognise in some society's a sort of karmic system seems to operate whereby you do the appt sec a favour and you get a sniff at games you might not other wise get a look in at. Doesn't seem to work in my case judging by recent appointment letters :confused:

(Denoument; as it happens today has been utter shite. Had to take my Aged P and his dog to the vet's for the dog to be put to sleep, had a row with the missus over breakfast caused by this, and it is snowing. Silver lining, I'm here to bouy the old man up and not being needed has spared me a 3 hour round trip in crap weather)

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: In the absence of the quid pro quo, you are being (ab)used as the flexible filler in the Society's planning process, filling in the gaps where they appear. This is clearly detrimental to your development, and results in you getting crappo games that your sterling service to the Society should exempt you from. You are in a similar position to the "utility back" bench player, who really wants to be seen as a starting fly half.

Make a stance, take a tough line and allow your "games covered" record (which surely must be unrivalled in the Society?) to justify your new approach. You are no longer a supplicant newbie.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Or try and take the best of both by saying something along the lines of:

"sure - but if that game gets cancelled etc. then I'm back on my original game?".

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Or try and take the best of both by saying something along the lines of:

"sure - but if that game gets cancelled etc. then I'm back on my original game?".

Or come and join Hampshire where the reappointment's secretaries appreciate you, particularly if you are a 'have bag, will travel' kind of referee.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I certainly got my rewards for the "have bags...." attitude, and try to do the same for my Virginia guys who are flexible for me.

Doesn't always work out that way!!

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
If this was an isolated incident just say "what ever!":cool:

if it's not, think it might be time to fight your corner:=

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Or come and join Hampshire where the reappointment's secretaries appreciate you, particularly if you are a 'have bag, will travel' kind of referee.

steady Deeps ! :D

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just bite the bullet on this one. As Simon says, if you are flexible then you are usually at the front of the persons mind for appointments that are tasty as you have shown a willingness to help out in the past. This one was just a bad experience (you should have gone and heckled the ref:chin: )

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
If this was an isolated incident just say "what ever!":cool:

if it's not, think it might be time to fight your corner:=

BFG Dr STU. It isn't the first time, it has happened on several Saturdays e.g.

"Don't do such and such L10 go and do so-and-so's L12 instead can you?"
"Yeah sure, is such-and-such off then?"
"Err, umm, no, err, someone else is going to do that one."
"Oh. OK, that was my only L10 this period you know"
"was it? well I'll see what I can do"

Now it may well be that 'someone' is a better ref than me so, on one level fair enough, the better games should get the better refs, and then over a pint at a society meeting you find out a total newbie was given the game, or a committee man (though they are probably MUCH better refs fair play to 'em) or one of the bright young things, or just some guy who didn't fancy the drive.

I don't think the 'plumb' appointment is ever going to come my way as a result of being easy going and flexible, just more of the same "He won't mind, he's easy going and flexible!"

Have to have a thinks I think

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes

Kin 'ell Deeps, leave it out, I grew up in Crawley. The Sussex one.

"moy fase moight fit berrer in ampshear but oi durn fink the way oi tork wud.

Innit?:)

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes

"Don't do such and such L10 go and do so-and-so's L12 instead can you?"
"Yeah sure, is such-and-such off then?"
"Err, umm, no, err, someone else is going to do that one."
"Oh. OK, that was my only L10 this period you know"
"was it? well I'll see what I can do"

Now it may well be that 'someone' is a better ref than me so, on one level fair enough, the better games should get the better refs, and then over a pint at a society meeting you find out a total newbie was given the game, or a committee man (though they are probably MUCH better refs fair play to 'em) or one of the bright young things, or just some guy who didn't fancy the drive.

I don't think the 'plumb' appointment is ever going to come my way as a result of being easy going and flexible, just more of the same "He won't mind, he's easy going and flexible!"

In that case, there is a finite number of times you can be used as a door mat before becoming dirty:wait: Screw em next time!

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
They are taking the p*ss.
Just say no I've made arrangements and can't change them.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Kin 'ell Deeps, leave it out, I grew up in Crawley. The Sussex one.

"moy fase moight fit berrer in ampshear but oi durn fink the way oi tork wud.

Innit?:)

You would certainly have to improve your spelling; we do have standards you know!

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
hmm. Greg .. sounds like you are a mug ... sorry.
i am a have bags kind of ref ... but i wouldnt take that ... because i didnt get appts during nov ..i went to east mids and london soc and was spoken to by committee .. i said "sod off. it's my hobby. i am available nearly every sat and sunday. other refs pick and choose their sats and get better games than their grades. i want games on sats and if you cant supply then i am off. i am a committed rugby player, if i dont get a game on a sat then i get crabby and everyone suffers ... sort it"
didnt go down too well ... so what. i know east mids and london would welcome me. i know herts would miss me, esp on sundays.
i think most society appts are far from perfect ... but you cant pls all the people all the time .. but we could make it all alot more fair and transparent.
hmm. in your situation i would be mosy unhappy... and feel quite hard done by.

ballsie

ballsie
Post Likes
we aye bonny lad I am a geordie an tak all funny llke kidda but I still get some areet games sum times, areet hinny howay the lads and they still let me ref in hampshire, it soonds like they wur pickin the soft oot of ye marra

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
[...]

Have a word. Diplomatically. After all in this case you lost out because the Society got it wrong in failing to confirm the fixture (apparently). You need to know where you stand.

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
I just want to ask about something similar.

Today a buddy of mine was meant to referee a Munster U18 developement game. He is at same level of refereeing as me and was "qualified" to ref it. It was announced he would do it at our weekly meetings along with rest of fixtures.

He turned up to find a National Panel referee who decided to do it. He really wasnt happy and isnt sure whether he should complain to our association or not. National Panel ref said he honestly didnt know my mate was down to do it and offered to let him referee second half. He didnt bother as its stupid for teams to change referees. Obv the teams wanted Mr. National Panel. Should he complain.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Complain, no. Enquire, yes.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
I just want to ask about something similar.

Today a buddy of mine was meant to referee a Munster U18 developement game. He is at same level of refereeing as me and was "qualified" to ref it. It was announced he would do it at our weekly meetings along with rest of fixtures.

He turned up to find a National Panel referee who decided to do it. He really wasnt happy and isnt sure whether he should complain to our association or not. National Panel ref said he honestly didnt know my mate was down to do it and offered to let him referee second half. He didnt bother as its stupid for teams to change referees. Obv the teams wanted Mr. National Panel. Should he complain.

But who was appointed to the game? Who appeared in lights or on the website or however else you are notified of an appointment and to whom was the game confirmed?

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
we aye bonny lad I am a geordie an tak all funny llke kidda but I still get some areet games sum times, areet hinny howay the lads and they still let me ref in hampshire, it soonds like they wur pickin the soft oot of ye marra

Canny lad!

Why man alive man hinny ah grew up in Crawley shooer but I lived in coonty durham til ah wez fowah cos me mam wez reet propper poorly like when ah wez a bairn and me ooncle an ant dinda have nee bairns oo tha own tha see? so they louked aftah me.

sa small whorld pet.