AUS rugby really is in trouble....

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...ay-cut-test-for-wallabies-20131016-2vmy8.html

Not world breaking news about the financial issues facing the ARU....but it's not boding well for Australian rugby. Elite players will chase money elsewhere and other codes and leaving the Wallabies short of the top talent. ARUs poor managment and forsight over the golden years has already started to affect the grass roots level, and it will get worse before it can get better. It will be hard for Australian rugby to survive with the influence of league and AFL.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
What on earth is going on over there?

You have had practically everything you wanted, 3 SR teams up to 4 and then up to 5; a weird conference format to increase the number of rivalry games. You've just had the Lions tour, you play a ridiculous number of extra tests to make up for any shortfall in revenue etc etc. I am genuinely concerned that the game is going to shit over there and this is not good for anyone.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
this might be me next season :holysheep:

thCACI5OYS.jpg

umpire.jpg

For the bonus point: does anyone know what the crowd yells out when the goal umpire makes this signal?

Attachments

• thCARZPH8E.jpg
    thCARZPH8E.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
"How big's your DickieE"!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Robbie, give that man a prize!

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes

Its a minor sport with no free to air TV coverage (other than Wallaby tests) and no 2nd tier competition between Super Rugby and park footy that is seen by many as a private schoolboy w**kfest

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

You have had practically everything you wanted, 3 SR teams up to 4 and then up to 5; a weird conference format to increase the number of rivalry games. You've just had the Lions tour, you play a ridiculous number of extra tests to make up for any shortfall in revenue etc etc. I am genuinely concerned that the game is going to shit over there and this is not good for anyone.

Damo, one word. "Mismanagement"

(mismanagement:- the ability to lack any forsight or plan for the future, but the ability to financially line one's own pockets while not planning for the future)

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Robbie, give that man a prize!

Except for the gorgeous Chelsea when its "how big is your boyfriend"

795740-chelsea-roffey.jpg

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
this might be me next season :holysheep:

View attachment 2676

View attachment 2675
I hate to admit it but in recent times I've downloaded the league rule book AND researched the process to become a league referee!!! :buttkick: Fortunately my youngest son also plays league, so there is a link there.

(I also figure if Cody can do it, then anyone can)

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Its a minor sport with no free to air TV coverage (other than Wallaby tests) and no 2nd tier competition between Super Rugby and park footy that is seen by many as a private schoolboy w**kfest

This

"hole dug by years of over-expenditure, largely with executive salaries."

And this
"Warnings of cuts to club rugby has made Pulver - thinking of a new third-tier national competition - unpopular in club circles, but he is making no apologies for drastic measures."

ARU cut funding to ACT premier rugby clubs over 5 years ago!
ARU have also implemented a new u15 and u17 Gold Cup comps for top end kids in this age group to be run around the country pre-season to nurture young talent. I wonder where the funding will come from? I guess they will expect the equally broke state unions to fund it. I expect that will go belly up after 1 year!

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
A boy in my sons team got asked to trial for gold cup - then got told it would be around $1000 registration

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In the long run there isn't enough money in any part of the world for two types of rugby..

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Rugby is fighting a losing battle with AFL at grassroots level in the schools due to the AFL spending in one week what the ARU spend in one year on junior development. This is due to the massive TV rights deal the AFL have secured.
Teachers are happy with AFL for PE classes because they can throw a ball to a bunch of kids, both boys and girls, with little fear of injuries and very simple rules. It's a bit like playing soccer but you can pick the ball up.

The ARU really need to grab the idea of men's & women's olympic 7s and really promote it throughout the schools. More open running, less physical contact = less injuries for schools to worry about etc.

The ARU need to take their heads out of their private school arses and get more Development Officers into more schools NOW. They are already so far behind the AFL it's not funny.

The ARU MUST get more quality rugby on free to air television in an appropriate time slot for kids. The ideal type of show would be a Match of the Week where the best/most entertaining game/highlights from any of the world competitions could be shown, eg: Toulon v Glasgow, or All Blacks v SA etc. I know it would probably be impossible to get something like that but watching the Rebels v Force or the Waratahs v any Aus team will simply not keep eyes on television for a one hour show.

Bill Pulver is facing up to the reality of the ARU's financial situation and is starting to do something about it but if he continues to ignore growing the game from the bottom up, he is one generation away from elite level extinction. If they fail to combat AFL in schools, especially in rugby's traditional areas, junior numbers will continue to drop and within 10-15 years senior country footy will be a mere shadow of what it is today.

End rant.

Last edited:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
A boy in my sons team got asked to trial for gold cup - then got told it would be around $1000 registration

If a junior player is selected from our zone to play for NSW Country, his parents have to fork out for all of the team gear and take him 650km (one way) for every training session (at least one per fortnight) and then to games. If he makes the NSW team, he will have to travel to Sydney each weekend for training (10hrs driving each way or a couple of hundred dollars in air fares).

I shudder to think what financial burden a family would have to endure if their son was picked for this Gold Cup competition.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
The IRB are interested in growing the game worldwide, and this sees massive growth in many many countries, then will they really care if Aus becomes a contracting market? maybe the analysts have already reported the data that Kenya or Georgia will replace Aus as a rugby superpower one day?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
No need for a Community game. Just take the League guys who don't quite make it, teach them to ruck and recruit a few Islanders to act as FR. Sad to see the financial mismanagemnt though.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

not too many (ex-)private schoolboys in South Sydney New Zeraland RFC when I played for them.

Woolhara colleagues may have been a bit different I suppose.... but not many.

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
The ARU really need to grab the idea of men's & women's olympic 7s and really promote it throughout the schools. More open running, less physical contact = less injuries for schools to worry about etc.

maybe this is where the IRB has really missed a trick... instead of getting rugby 7s into the olympics/commonwealth games etc, maybe they should have been looking to promote touch/tag as the game for all ages and sexes to be able to mix with no contact for teachers and parents from non rugby backgrounds to concern themselves with/

Too late now...

didds

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
maybe this is where the IRB has really missed a trick... instead of getting rugby 7s into the olympics/commonwealth games etc, maybe they should have been looking to promote touch/tag as the game for all ages and sexes to be able to mix with no contact for teachers and parents from non rugby backgrounds to concern themselves with

Around here, various rugby folk are getting into the schools and teaching "rookie rugby" to younger kids. I think in 5-10 years we will see more players and teams pop up in the area, but it won't be quick.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
not too many (ex-)private schoolboys in South Sydney New Zeraland RFC when I played for them.

Woolhara colleagues may have been a bit different I suppose.... but not many.

didds

Not many at my club either, but we are the exception

Rugby at subbies/community level is actually doing pretty well. The problem is the number of juniors taking up and sticking with the game and the huge disconnect with the higher ups. We see a number of players come back to play subbies at age 25 to 30, having not played rugby since leaving school. From a social scene thats ok, but doesn't help drive quality. The standard of Premiership rugby has dropped alarmingly (Warringah 4ths this year had to pull a bunch of 40 to 50 year olds out of the stands to avoid forfeiting. The scary thing is that they won).