Ball thrown into touch to end game

Cymro

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Red vs Blue U18 cup match. score is 8 - 6 to Blue. final play of the game is a scrum to blue about 8M in from touchline about 30M out from Blue goal line. scrum won by blue, they move it blind a few meters and are tackled and a nice neat ruck occurs with SH poised to play the ball, he looks up at me and says "is that time up sir" I reply "yes" and he then, with none of his players on that side, makes a lovely nice and fast scrum half pass the 2 or 3M into touch.:wow:

what is your decision ?

Staybound

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sounds like a PK awarded to Red where the pass took place. U18 should know better and the s/h probably should know better than to do a time check!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
very tempting to PK him indeed and its your judgement call. Illegal to deliberately throw the bal into touch, as we all know, but could he claim he thought he heard a call for a blind side runner (remember some SHs can be devious little sh*ts) ?

I find the TV behaviour examples in this area poor and negative (Danny Care being the worst offender) - a kick sideways or backwards to touch, but a valid reminder to him to follow the actions of his TV heros.

If asked such a 'time to go' question I would not answer unless it was downtime. So my answer to him would be "play on, I will tell at the next break in play".

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
PK - passing into touch.

No hesitation in calling that one.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
PK, no hesitation.

Anything he says, about what he thought he heard, would be irrelevant, it doesn't alter what he did.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
PK for me - ping any 9 on principle, they are all suspect.:biggrin:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Ping him first for time-wasting by asking at an inappropriate time? :biggrin: :nono:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Thrown into touch = PK

It is quite a while since any SH has done the "we'll have the penalty" :mad: deliberate knock-on in my games. That used to irritate me - another "well they do it on the telly" moment.

Any case for PK for deliberate knock on? I never did before you ask.

chesref

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
Had the same thing happen in an U11 game at the weekend just before half time. Less than one metre out from his defending goal line and two foot from the touch line Blue panics and throws into touch. I was running the line and the ref looked at me and said "thats a penalty isnt it" he said he would call for half time and I said he couldnt end the half on a penalty but he still called time. I accepted his decision given the age of the player, but the parents of the attacking side (also my team) were furious as they should have had a penalty 5m out in the plate final. We won the game anyway.

Cymro

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Thanks Guys, I PK'd him and he was furious, shouted etc.. and kicked the ball away (a long way away) so I advanced it 10M. Suddenly Red had a PK to win by a point. So I'm standing there awaiting the kick thinking as to whether I did the correct thing, I had no doubts as I did it but when there is a bit of downtime you do second-guess yourself. Anyway Red missed (just) and I blew for full time. Chatting jovially to the Blue coach afterwards, I asked what the players reaction to the 9 would have been if Red had kicked the PK, "never mind them", he said "I'd have killed him myself" :)

BTW anyone got the reference, save me searching ?

EDIT
10.2(c) found it :)

Last edited:

Staybound

Referees in England
Post Likes
You do see it sometimes in Mini rugby. I think it should get penalised as normal given they have to learn the game some time. If you've got someone pinned back against their try line and the only way they can find to relieve the pressure is to infringe then you should get the advantage that the law permits. I'll stop now before I talk myself into awarding a penalty try!

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thrown into touch, deliberate offending, unsportsmanlike conduct, timewasting -all spring to mind. Why would you not penalise him????

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
let's make it a bit more interesting. There is a winger on that side but the pass is so wild you seriously suspect that the SH had no intention of passing it TO him, but PAST him. But maybe it was just an accidenatally bad pass, after all.

Decision?

I'd consider awarding the lineout. "Sorry, SH, I misread my watch - still a minute to go."

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Dickie,

Which is why you should never be precise when answering the "how long to go?" question. Means you have all the options left open to you!

But in that scenario - you have to make the judgement. Deliberate, or accidental. And go with it.