Bedford v Doncaster - Holding the flag

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Bloke with the flag on the far touchline's been letting it dangle near the ground all day like he's doing Doncaster Rovers. Has there been some official instruction at that level (similar to the one that says "thou shalt not wave the flag after a missed kick at goal") that says "thou shalt not hold the flag furled during general play"?

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Short answer = no.

Was it Gareth or Sharpy (hair or bald!)??

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
I've often wondered why clubs don't introduce light-weight 'paddles' instead of the old-hat shabby flags.

A standard design - a sort of table tennis bat in plastic only bigger - could be approved by the IRB or parent Union as may be necessary, then sponsors could book space on them in the form of a self-adhesive decal for any period of time they choose.:hap:

A good money spinner for all clubs right to the top and beyond I would've thought.

SimonT to start the ball rolling, perhaps?:biggrin:

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've often wondered why clubs don't introduce light-weight 'paddles' instead of the old-hat shabby flags.

A standard design - a sort of table tennis bat in plastic only bigger - could be approved by the IRB or parent Union as may be necessary, then sponsors could book space on them in the form of a self-adhesive decal for any period of time they choose.:hap:

A good money spinner for all clubs right to the top and beyond I would've thought.

SimonT to start the ball rolling, perhaps?:biggrin:
Chopper part of me wants to spend 10 minutes in your mind, you really do come up with the most wacky ideas.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Chopper part of me wants to spend 10 minutes in your mind, you really do come up with the most wacky ideas.

actually I thought this one of Choppers more reasonable ones.

didds

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
A good idea, but I suspect they would lack the satisfying "CRACK" as you bash in a foul play flag (and stitch up your mate in the middle...)

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I suspect there'd be satisfying crack as you put in your paddle and it hits a short arse winger in the face!:biggrin:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Paddles - now there is a thought and actually I like it - peel on / off ads/logos, etc. I will have a chat with my mate at RAM Rugby and Chopper will get due acknowledgement.

We are half way there with RWC2011 stiff flags.

RFU AR Panel get given their own RFU flags.

London did that a few seasons ago and spend a fortune on them - very nice flags.
We in Hampshire did it 6 years ago and spent hardly anything, so the flags were too thin, the material frayed and the logos peeled off. The thin aluminium shafts broke and the handle perished.

Interestingly I have tried twice to get TJ / AR flags sponsored. When I tried to do the Specsavers deal RFU Commercial Dept blocked the flags idea, and it never happened anyway as refs kit is included in Premiership / Cups packages !

Only place I have heard of it happening is in Jersey, where one of the financial institutions paid for all the post protectors, touchline flags and TJ flags to be theirs. Most away side TJs used them I was told. Until they were promoted from L5 to National League L4, when they had appointed RFU ARs who use their RFU flags.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Novel and a potential money spinner in need of entrepreneurial nous to get it moving.:hap:

SimonT, how's about it?:clap:

Whoops . . . Just read your comments Simon. Thanks for the favourable comments.

The paddle format, IMHO, of course, should be more convenient to hold? And with a snap-on handle easier to pack for the holidays.

Last edited:

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes

A standard design - a sort of table tennis bat in plastic only bigger - could be approved by the IRB or parent Union as may be necessary, then sponsors could book space on them in the form of a self-adhesive decal for any period of time they choose.

There's even a prefab they can use; London Underground have been issuing communication paddles to their platform staff.

9zP6u.jpg

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
Well spotted, 4e. Perhaps the paddle could be supplied with a nice cap . . . or hard hat, maybe, complete with advertising logo, of course.:clap:

Actually, that size and form appears to be ideal .

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
just don't have your ground too close to an airport or you might have a 747 up your clacker

N2CAXYIP3HCANXOQKICA1EAAQGCAPZCHVKCA7K7YXXCAK4M0ARCAM34SS5CA80C7UDCA1P0PH0CAUPQSLOCAA4YZKVCAV35L.jpg