Brian Moore

Ricardowensleydale

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Did Brian Moore really say "Why don't referees and ARs do anything about props binding on the arm. It's because the don't look and they don't care"

A fair assessment?

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
It happens a lot. Tight heads bind on the arm as a matter of course. The evidence is in every TV game. he has a point!

"As long as it stays up" ?????????????

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
He is right about that.

I also think he has a point about scrum half waiting around at the back of the ruck - but there is no law that prevents it - so he is wrong to suggest they say something.

scarletjack

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
He is right about that.

I also think he has a point about scrum half waiting around at the back of the ruck - but there is no law that prevents it - so he is wrong to suggest they say something.
Have to say whene watching the game with my son he picked up on this and asked me what would be the offence to witch i replied there isn't one

Davet

Post Likes
At a maul the Law mandates the ball must be played within 5 seconds of the maul stopping moving forward (2nd tim etc.)

At a scrum it must be played when available at the back.

Nothing like that applies at ruck - I think it should, but right now that isn't the case.

Ricardowensleydale

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The ball either has not emerged so give reasonable time for it to do so then call an unsuccessful end to the ruck / maul or it IS out so let the defenders come round and challenge for the ball.

Isn't the key word "reasonable"? The ref saying "use it" just means "do something, the time is becoming unreasonable"

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I thought BM was suggesting the law makers need to do something about it, not Walsh ?

didds

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
i always blow up for a prop with a short bind on the arm. I always tell them them in my pre match spiel that I'll be watching for it.

why can't we get that consistency at the top level.

All this hullaballoo from the Super XV SANZAR association about the big 5 and long binds. I see nothing in practice to be brutally honest.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Why isn't it time wasting?

Because time wasting really only applies when the ball is out of play (dead) but the clock is still running, e.g. in touch awaiting a line-out throw, waiting for the SH to feed the scrum, when a team is deciding what to do at a PK.

Waiting at the back of the ruck is not considered time wasting in the same way that players in sevens not grounding the ball for several seconds is also not time wasting.

Ricardowensleydale

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Because time wasting really only applies when the ball is out of play (dead) but the clock is still running, e.g. in touch awaiting a line-out throw, waiting for the SH to feed the scrum, when a team is deciding what to do at a PK.

Waiting at the back of the ruck is not considered time wasting in the same way that players in sevens not grounding the ball for several seconds is also not time wasting.

I know that it tends to be only applied when the ball is dead but the law just says "A player must not intentionally waste time" without any mention of circumstances.

At the back of a ruck is different as was pointed out. The opposition aren't free to attack the ball in any meaningful way unlike in your 7s example. If there is no law stopping it why not just stand there for 40 minutes if you are ahead? Unsporting?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I know that it tends to be only applied when the ball is dead but the law just says "A player must not intentionally waste time" without any mention of circumstances.

At the back of a ruck is different as was pointed out. The opposition aren't free to attack the ball in any meaningful way unlike in your 7s example. If there is no law stopping it why not just stand there for 40 minutes if you are ahead? Unsporting?

In a theoretical sense you are right, but in reality, this would never happen. Long before the 30 minutes was up, the opposition would commit whatever numbers were necessary to push their opponents off the ball or force them to play it.

Remember also that the Maul Law with the 5 second limit is not a FK for time wasting, its simply a scrum turnover.

Personally, I support the Cambridge Law trial idea of a "use it" call then five seconds to do so, but that is not current law, and referees must not make it up as they go along.

If a referee were to award a FK for time-wasting in this situation, it would be a definite "gotcha". He would have to sell it to the affected team, and more importantly, he will (IMO) have a hard time selling it to his assessor.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Why isn't it time wasting?
If it is timewasting to have the ball in play with nothing constructive going on, how can the majority of teams avoid perpetual FK's? Insisting the ref impose quality control on the game is a very dangerous step to take. Following an over-long kick ahead in the opposition in-goal area, which the kicking side can't be bothered to chase, which of these are free kick offences (and by whom)?

Full back standing over the ball waiting in vain for the opposition to commit some forces?
Full back picking up the ball and running from side to side within in-goal, waiting for the opposition to commit some forces?
Full back and the two wingers passing between themselves in-goal waiting for the opposition to commit some forces?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
If we are looking for moments of BCM666 spouting nonsense over an open mike, I thought his assertion as fact that referees will favour the side going forward was a good one. I'd always thought that international refs tried to officiate without bias one way or the other.

Davet

Post Likes
Dixie - you may also be surprised to learn that Santa isn't real.

Davet

Post Likes
BM about to give his Desert Island Discs, apparently.