Can a player intentionally run into touch with the ball?

ruggers

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Can a player intentionally run into touch with the ball?

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
Yes. That was easy!

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
yes, even to end a game.

why do you ask?

ruggers

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
saw it in a game today! conflicting opinions on the sideline. ref had no issue with it.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ref was right maybe t/line thinking about a player passing it into touch.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
No problem with the ball carrying player running off the pitch.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Having played with some awful wingers in my time I can categorically say "oh yes". :wow:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
....... maybe t/line thinking about a player passing it into touch.
Exactly. My best guess would be that someone in the crowd had read somewhere that a player can't deliberately throw the ball off the pitch - which would be correct, but kicking the ball off or stepping over the touch line is fine.

Ovey

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I know that a player may take the ball into touch, however why is it that he can step voluntarily into touch whilst carrying the ball yet isn't allowed to purposely throw into touch?! (Penalty offense). Seems a bit strange to me!

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I know that a player may take the ball into touch, however why is it that he can step voluntarily into touch whilst carrying the ball yet isn't allowed to purposely throw into touch?! (Penalty offense). Seems a bit strange to me!

Because the Law lords wished it to be so?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
To run into touch you need to be right there. You can throw the ball into touch from midfield.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Me too LLP one, who never got the ball down and was running so fast ended up in the hedge behind the pitch, priceless

Or worse yet, one I recall from my playing days, who thought the supporters who were yelling in the sideline were cheering him on to the tryline. They weren't; they were telling him to get the ball down.....but he ran through the in-goal and "scored" the try over the dead ball line....plonker!!

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes

You implied that throwing the ball out of play was banned because it was too easy to do so from the centre of the pitch. I merely point out that kicking the ball out from there is far easier than throwing it out, and is perfectly legal.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
You implied that throwing the ball out of play was banned because it was too easy to do so from the centre of the pitch. I merely point out that kicking the ball out from there is far easier than throwing it out, and is perfectly legal.
I was in fact merely pointing out a significant difference between running into touch with the ball and throwing the ball into touch.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
To run into touch you need to be right there. You can throw the ball into touch from midfield.

Don't get it.:sad:

Why do you need to be in touch to run there?

And why should a player want to throw a ball into touch from midfield . . . or from anywhere in the FoP?

Last edited: