Can we please shoot the PC Brigade?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
You mean he had a weekend away from the Wigmore Club...!

Gfaw gfaw fnar fnar

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Maybe horseymum spitter & feed lobber were provoked by the deliverers style rather than his decision, we'll never know.
Style doesn't enter into it. Its simply a matter of the bell being rung by the judge of whichever discipline is involved, or in the case of Cross Country, they simply see "E" (for Elimination") on the posted result sheet at the Event Secretary's caravan. No-one actually goes over to the competitor verbally tells them.

Ian, I saw a horsey complaint system operate where all complaints had to be accompanied by a £30 fee, fully refunded IF the complaint was upheld. Yes you've guessed it, very few complaints ever submitted.

Maybe a $100 abuse avoidance fee to be added to pony club entry fee, refunded afterwards might make a complainers approach more tolerable? Just a thought.....

We have that too, $50. The problem is, the abuse almost always happens before the official complaint is made (if indeed one is actually made). By the time every gets to the Ground Jury hearing an hour later, they've all calmed down.

Rich

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've just read this from beginning to end and realise that i will never get that part of my life back. As i read i slipped from my forties into my fifties...what a birthday treat...:chair:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Just to lighten the thread I am reminded of the end of one Pony Club Camp week at Twesledown when one of the most pompous men I have ever met (and yes I am a good person to assess pomposity I hear you say Dixie !) stood up and and said that as the "ranking" parent might he thank the instructors, helpers and organisers on behalf of the parents. That man was Major Ronald Ferguson, and he was outranked by at least one Brigadier (Richard Holmes of TV battlefields series) and at least two full Colonels and one Lt Colonel one or whom was still serving, poor Ronnie didn't realise we were all laughing at him not with him.

Good job it wasn't Roy Jenkins making the speech! Badoom tiss! (It's always good to bring that old joke out for an airing) :biggrin:

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Richardo Homenez. I had a great time in Badajoz with him.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Style doesn't enter into it. Its simply a matter of the bell being rung by the judge of whichever discipline is involved, or in the case of Cross Country, they simply see "E" (for Elimination") on the posted result sheet at the Event Secretary's caravan. No-one actually goes over to the competitor verbally tells them.

We have that too, $50. The problem is, the abuse almost always happens before the official complaint is made (if indeed one is actually made). By the time every gets to the Ground Jury hearing an hour later, they've all calmed down.

Put up a sign ..... All adjudicators are permitted to whack on the nose 'anyone' who abuses them without discriminating on the gender or age or social status of the abuser.
:)

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Just to lighten the thread I am reminded of the end of one Pony Club Camp week at Twesledown when one of the most pompous men I have ever met (and yes I am a good person to assess pomposity I hear you say Dixie !) stood up and and said that as the "ranking" parent might he thank the instructors, helpers and organisers on behalf of the parents. That man was Major Ronald Ferguson, and he was outranked by at least one Brigadier (Richard Holmes of TV battlefields series) and at least two full Colonels and one Lt Colonel one or whom was still serving, poor Ronnie didn't realise we were all laughing at him not with him.

Done my fair share of time at Pony Club events and have to say if someone had stood up and claim that he "out ranked" me, he'd get both barrels from me :mad: I'm sorry mate but your sh!* stinks too! By all means do the "thanks to everyone" thing, but not just cus you're the biggest knob here!

BUT, what I want to know, did NM let the boys play in leggings on a day when we can assume it wasn't cold

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

For a moment there Simon, I thought you were talking about this guy...

Snf15dad13_380_1044439a.jpg

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
did NM let the boys play in leggings on a day when we can assume it wasn't cold
Cold is a relative term. In my wife's universe, water freezes at 72 degrees farenheit, and life becomes tolerable only when the temperature gets into the mid-80's.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Cold is a relative term. In my wife's universe, water freezes at 72 degrees farenheit, and life becomes tolerable only when the temperature gets into the mid-80's.

If " cold" is so subjective and can be explained away as anything below 45°c , then I fail to see the point of the regulation.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
sigh.
the odd thing most of you completely ignore is that from NM's account it was NM who was defending an (non-existent as it happened) politically correct system that accomodates the wishes of muslims, and his interlocutor who was being unsympathetic and proposing a nonsense-it-should-be-one-rule-for-everyone scenario.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
sigh.
the odd thing most of you completely ignore is that from NM's account it was NM who was defending an (non-existent as it happened) politically correct system that accomodates the wishes of muslims, and his interlocutor who was being unsympathetic and proposing a nonsense-it-should-be-one-rule-for-everyone scenario.

Acknowledged.
Of course Law discriminates, and as referees we are compelled to facilitate such discrimination, unless the item is deemed dangerous.
I'm challenging the (often espoused) view that people/police act in an equal indiscriminatory way, most don't, society doesn't.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
If " cold" is so subjective and can be explained away as anything below 45°c , then I fail to see the point of the regulation.
And I don't suppose you are alone there!

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
How old are you again?
Well, if she was 11 when Canterbury beat Wellington back in 2001, that'd mean...
...I amy be makign an incorrect assumption here based on his name, but she may well also have taken NM to be a Muslim, and discriminatign against what she assumed was his faith community...
Yipe,
It is wrong to assume " Na madraí " is Irish for "The dogs." No Muslim connection implied. Barkin' up the wrong tree. ;)

Though we (Irish) are sometimes subjected to the odd bit of racism in England, I hold that the UK is a multi-cultural society. If you want to see true hateful racism try visiting Africa, or any of the Arab nations.

Last edited:

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Is that the 1980's?

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Yipe,
It is wrong to assume " Na madraí " is Irish for "The dogs." No Muslim connection implied. Barkin' up the wrong tree. ;)

Ah; thanks. That puts a different complexion on the situation...

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Well, if s he was 11 when Canterbury beat Wellington back in 2001, that'd mean...
Oops, sorry Jack, I always assumed Constantine was a girl's name. :redface: My mistake.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Well, if she was 11 when Canterbury beat Wellington back in 2001, that'd mean...Yipe

Well, if s he was 11 when Canterbury beat Wellington back in 2001, that'd mean...

Oops, sorry Jack, I always assumed Constantine was a girl's name. :redface: My mistake.

You were right the first time...

http://www.rugbyrefs.com/member.php?3745-Constantine (click About Me)

As for it being a "girl's" name, I think this guy might have taken issue with you on that!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantine_the_Great

756px-2009-04-13_ConstantineTheGreat_York.jpg

That building in the background is York Minster.