can you beat this?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
LH was (IMHO) carrying an injury before the game started, he lasted 20 secs max! Sub on for him, then he goes down injured too! all inside 3 mins. So they met their obligation of having a sub (so don't get docked points), but when he went off they thought they were going to play uncontested with 15 on the pitch :nono:

At L7 - wow Chelt are struggling ! First scrum was it ?

All makes sense now but be careful if it happens again and flanker is not marked as FR on the match card.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
for any front row player it's not up to the referee to research the extent of a players T and E, and to determine if that's suitable. The team say a player is STE, the ref accepts that.

if a team is 'hiding' an STE player (ie not declared on the team sheet), with the intention of revealing his presence later, only if it suits them, then this feels to me more like a matter to be reported to league organisers, rather than a safety/ref issue.

I think it more likely that they never envisage it is likely to happen. the flank probably props every 4 years except Presidents v chairmen's Boxing day and nobody ever thinks he'd be needed on the card.

If you got a card with 18 STE's marked would you query it?

didds

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think it more likely that they never envisage it is likely to happen. the flank probably props every 4 years except Presidents v chairmen's Boxing day and nobody ever thinks he'd be needed on the card.

If you got a card with 19 STE's marked would you query it?

didds

In my games I don't usually have cards.
at the PMB I ask for 'front row + replacements - - and anyone who might end up playing front row' which usually gets them all.

I have had a player in the game sufddnely reveal himself as also STE. It's irritating as then you have to brief him, but so far I have always (having checked with the captain) let them play.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I suppose at an extreme though it is open to abuse... if not STE on the card and it is in their interests not to have him play there ie they want uncontested scrums then they can play dumb...

If he is on the card then is there a compunction to use him if the required number of replacements has already been met?

didds

Last edited:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
If one side claim not to have any STE FR replacements (just the starting 3) aren't they limited to just a 15 man team then? :chin:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

didds

Nope.

PS... I sign alongside STE on match card ( in pen) ( rather than take a photo etc) that way I know it hasn't been changed after STE declarations have been made.

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
So, there is an obligation to mark a minimum of n STE FR (n depending on league level, etc), so that we all know that they can be replaced at the requisite number of times of asking, but is there an obligation to FR mark everyone playing who is STE? If not, then it would seem harsh and jobsworth-like to deny a player who the captain affirms is STE the chance to play and avoid the man-off if necessary, just because they didn't mark the card more than they were required to do. As with ctrainor, many of my games seem to consist of only two types of player, props and wingers!

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... If you got a card with 18 STE's marked would you query it?
If I'm being honest I probably would ask "Why" given that they are limited to a maximum of 2 FRs subs at adult level and 3 FRs subs at U19.

3.4(d). A team can substitute up to two front row players (subject to Law 3.5 (f) and (g) when it may be three) and up to five other players.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Because they can exchange a FR any number of times with the other players on the FoP? A substitute is someone not on the FoP?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If I'm being honest I probably would ask "Why" given that they are limited to a maximum of 2 FRs subs at adult level and 3 FRs subs at U19.

3.4(d). A team can substitute up to two front row players (subject to Law 3.5 (f) and (g) when it may be three) and up to five other players.

In Englnad the physical number of FR replacements and number if interchanges is controlled by squad size and varies by Competition and Level. All in the RFU and CB Comps books / web sites.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
If one side claim not to have any STE FR replacements (just the starting 3) aren't they limited to just a 15 man team then? :chin:

Not for youth games in Wales. Be careful on that one. I got caught out with it.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3

Why? That is their call. nothing to do with me. IF one of the said 18 is not upto it should his FR experience be called up on I'll stop him.

Once had a game where a team took the field with 6 props (4 of which i'd previously played against - so I knew they were STE). The took the field in the following positions:

LHP, THP, 2R, BSF, LW & RW. One of the amusing things for the spectators that day was seeing the ref out run the wingers. There was nothing "sinister about the plan, they just had 17 players available to them that day. - They won. in a game that went uncontested, due to the home side losing one prop to injury and a second to a card.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Not for youth games in Wales. Be careful on that one. I got caught out with it.

So Law 3 requires, and I don't think that can be overturned officially by a union, that said I will allow replaceemnts if the other side are happy!