Cape Town

AlanT

Referees in England
Post Likes
Looks like I'll be heading for Cape Town in April for 2-3 months.

It would be good to get some reffing in.

Any contacts anyone?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Alan - speak to Phil Bowers in Sussex as he will get lots of contacts via RFU who have regular exchanges in South Africa incl Cape Town.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Can't bat, can you?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Remember to take your pistol, in case you find a girlfriend.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
When I am in Joburg on business and I use one of the company cars it has a loaded pistol in the glove compartment - and we are asked revolver or automatic sir, at same time as manual (shift) or automatic gears.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
do they6 also provide training Simon? This is a genuine question... tho ISTR you are ex military so probably know how to handle a gun.

As an example as why i ask is I have never ever fired a pistol, and no rifles since I was about 15 (a few air rifle pings at rats since then only). I'd be more danger to everybody I am sure if I picked up an actual gun.

didds

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
do they also provide training Simon? This is a genuine question... tho ISTR you are ex military so probably know how to handle a gun.

I know which end to point and what to squeeze, and am comfortable around weapons, which I treat with the highest repsect. But no I am not ex-military (not the done thing in long haired rebellious 1970s).

I have used shotguns since I was a teenager, and still do when not at rugby on a Sunday. My father was a Member at Bisley ever since his Army days in early 1950s and I often went there with him, plus I was in CCF at school and shot .303 target rifles. More recently I shot at pistol ranges in Chicago when working in the US for extended periods.

In Jo'burg originally in 1990s I had to show the Office Manager I knew the basic safety procedures (which is what I done all the time on ranges), use of safety catch, how to load unload, clear chamber, etc. Pistol was in locked glove compartment.
I was never asked again until 2005 ish when I had to get a self-defense firearm licence and do a competencey test through the company - last time I went the pistol was inside a locked cage bolted inside a locked glove compartment.

I do hear that all our corporate licensed firearms may be removed due to the outcry after the Pistorius case. For visitors it will mean we take company driver cars not drive ourselves around - exactly what already happens in countries like Russia, Turkey, Mexico, Columbia, Thailand, etc anyway.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I remember slightly less fondly my interview after using lethal force.
RMP " we are not here to be "kinetic" "
Me. " tell that to the people who ambushed the patrol, oh wait you can't"......