Characters from the Movie "Snatch"

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
One reason could be that at RWC they are all together in one country place

Booking international flight with only a week's notice gets very expensive.

london - edinburgh for this weekend is about 60 quid return on [redacted]jet (appreciate that this isn't the desired flight). no reason to think that a quick hop to paris or dublin is any more expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Re: Dave Pearson

dave clark said:
London - edinburgh for this weekend is about 60 quid return on [redacted]jet (appreciate that this isn't the desired flight).

Please consider the potential for your language to give gratuitous offence. This particular wording could even get the website into trouble with the CRE - let alone yourself. The Mods may wish to give some thought to a bit of judicious redaction.

headscratch.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes

There is a word used that is considered racially offensive, so in the same way that using the famous n word to describe say n-----jet the p word can be a source of trouble.

Personally I don't see why, and my consistent public stance is that offence is only ever taken, never given.

But legally using certain words can get a site into trouble, so I have redacted the P word.

Chavjet however would be perfectly legal as "chav" is not a term referring to an ethinic grouping.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11

But legally using certain words can get a site into trouble, so I have redacted the P word.

Chavjet however would be perfectly legal as "chav" is not a term referring to an ethinic grouping.

noted, thanks, and i accept my telling off.

chavjet doesn't scan the same way though, so i'll have to think of another :smile:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

There is a word used that is considered racially offensive, so in the same way that using the famous n word to describe say n-----jet the p word can be a source of trouble.

Personally I don't see why, and my consistent public stance is that offence is only ever taken, never given.

Really? P.... is raciall offensive? That is extraordinary.

Aside from the fact that it means something completely different in this part of the world...

Pike-out: 1. To give up when the going gets tough. 2. to undertake a task and then pull out at the last minute.
Piker, Pikey: Person who gives up easily (see pike-out)

The Oxford Dictionary (no less) says that the word is not necessarily racist..

"young people who use charver or pikey to identify a contemporary style of dress or general demeanour suggest an aimless "street" lifestyle, unaware of the Romany origin of the first or of connotation with "gypsy" of the second. Pikey, formed from turnpike roads, as along with pikee and piker been used in the South East of England, especially since the mid-Nineteenth-Century to refer to itinerant people of all kinds and been used by travelling people to refer to those of low caste. Scally a corresponding label originating in the North West of England was taken up by the media and several websites, only to be superseded by chav. A very recent survey has unearthed 127 synonyms, with ned favoured in Scotland, charver in North East England and pikey across the South

So I guess that in this overly PC world we live in we are to refrain from using "Scallywag, Chav, Charver & Ned".

Ridiculous!!!

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Davet said:
But legally using certain words can get a site into trouble

Perhaps, but it can't get a forum site into trouble so long as the use of such words is a violation of the terms of use. If this were not the case, a group of posters (perhaps members of a rival forum) could easily cause a forum to be shut down.

Planet Rugby would never survive if that were the case, and Wikipedia would have been prosecuted numerous times.

The other thing to consider is that forums like ours are international. I have already pointed out that the p word carries no racial connotations at all in Australasia. Different words have different meanings in different parts of the world.

To use dave clark's example as a basis, if I were to refer to EasyJet, as "HoriJet", you (an Englishman) would probably have to Google it to find out if it were offensive or not!!!

Last edited:

Davet

Post Likes

Maybe I would at that. But that would not stop those who do know the word as a term of abuse from objecting to it.

Much is in the connotation - Taffs, Jocks, Sweaties, Paddies, Saes, even Pikely are all ethic references, and not of themselves particularly offensive - unlike some words such as the N word. It depends on context and association.

And perhaps sensitivity is overblown, but the social climate in this part of the world can be silly; and things taken out of context and easliy overblown.

And such things can get a forum into trouble if they are not withdrawn when someone points them out - having a code of conduct is no excuse if you fail to implement or enforce it.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well if nothing else this thread is going to create some unexpected google - associations with those searching for [Dave Pearson] ...

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Well if nothing else this thread is going to create some unexpected google - associations with those searching for [Dave Pearson] ...

:clap:
2funny.gif

john g

Referees in England
Post Likes

To use dave clark's example as a basis, if I were to refer to EasyJet, as "HoriJet", you (an Englishman) would probably have to Google it to find out if it were offensive or not!!!

Just have and found one: HORI Real Arcade PRO.EX - Game console
£125 - 3 stores

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

And there was me, late to the debate for quite a long time wondering why Pearson was such a bad P word!

didds

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes

Ian, it's not my area but I believe you may be mistaken as to the forum. This is why we have moderators. The site may well be viewed as the publisher of what its members choose to publish on it. In that regard, it is arguably no different from a newspaper which publishes what it's journalists (or letter-page contributors) wish to publish. You may argue that the site doesn't have full-time editors or that the cadre of writers is much larger; those are problems for the site to address, not reasons for it to be exempt from libel, race relations or decency laws.

The big difficulty is the trans-national aspect of this and other forums. People may consider themselves defamed or offended wherever in the world they may reside. It is quite possible (and even likely) that the courts in that country may be seized of the matter, and would decide it under the applicable law of that country. These issues are known to have potentially different outcomes in Scotland and England, or California and New York; how much bigger might be the difference in outcome as between Chile and France, or New Zealand and Romania?

In my view, the only sensible approach is to ensure that potentially offensive material is expunged as soon as possible, adn for all forum members to try to avoid giving gratuitous offence - particularly by stereotyping whole classes of people in a negative way.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes

I thought that P . . word was more bahavioural than ethnic?

Davet

Post Likes

Pinkey; Refers to Romany origin.

As in the film "Snatch"

Which is brilliant.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes

Thought it was travellers, not all of whom are Romany. Traveller - behavioural/lifestyle Romany - ethnic. Not that I don't think it is now used as a disparaging term.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

I thought it was a character from Dad's Army!

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11

Thought it was travellers, not all of whom are Romany. Traveller - behavioural/lifestyle Romany - ethnic. Not that I don't think it is now used as a disparaging term.

i suspect that it's actually used in a similar vein to that which Chris Rock covered in his famous sketch, in that it doesn't refer to ALL members of that grouping but those who act in a particular way.

(i can't mention the name of the Rock sketch, for obvious reasons).

Davet

Post Likes

I don't think there is a blanket ban on the word "Pikey"; merely a caution about how it's used.