Charge Down

Swiss Ref

Post Likes
For a change I had the pleasure to be a spectator this weekend.

The poor ref got terrible abuse and listening to the Coach I have to say I was puzzled.

Blue were defending and the ball was passed back to Blue, in In Goal area. His attempted kick was charged down by red with the ball going Dead In Goal.

The ref gave a 22,which is what I would have done, but reds were crying for a 5 metre scrum. I couldnt see why.

Did I miss something?

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Don't see a problem, people can argue weather or not the red player actually played the ball, but too me a charge down is that, if it goes dead, unlucky, 22m.

Welcome to the forums.

GazMaz

Referees in England
Post Likes
Was the charge down done in goal, or was he in the field of Play?

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Why does that make a difference?

Swiss Ref

Post Likes
Charge Down Position

Both Kicker and player who charged down were in goal.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
'Who put it in goal' decides who gets the restart, not who put it dead.

GazMaz

Referees in England
Post Likes
Precisely so if the charge down was in Goal you go back to who took the ball in Goal, but if the charger was in play and the ball went dead in goal........:rolleyes:

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Yes, of course, I don't think I was on your wavelength but I don't know what I was thinking of either, my post doesn't make sense. lol.

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
Swiss Ref, welcome to the forums! :)

So, assuming, as in this situation, the blue team played the ball into in-goal, two possible outcomes can be reached:

1. The charge down takes place outside in-goal (i.e. blue player kicks, and opposition player charges it down after it has left in-goal) - in this instance the attacker would then have put the ball into in-goal, so when it goes dead, it would be a 22m drop out.

or

2. As in this case, defenders put the ball into in-goal and the charge down occurs in-goal. The defenders were still responsible for the ball going into in-goal, so it is a 5m scrum attacking ball when it goes dead.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
simonjgriffithshr said:
...defenders put the ball into in-goal and the charge down occurs in-goal. The defenders were still responsible for the ball going into in-goal, so it is a 5m scrum attacking ball when it goes dead.

Quite correct. The trick in these scenarios is to remember which team was responsible for putting the ball into 'in goal' until it leaves 'in goal'.

Last edited:

Swiss Ref

Post Likes
Thanks for the advice

Many thanks to all for making this clear.

Regards

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I remember having great difficulty with a Hampshire League 3 coach, whose side had kicked ahead, and put the ball into the opposition's in-goal. The opposition full back then kicked the ball from inside his own in-goal over the deal ball line.

I awarded the 22, and coach was incensed "But THEY kicked it dead!!" - followed by inaudible chuntering to others on the side line. It tooks about 10 minutes after the game for him to accept that kicking it dead was the same as touching it down, and made no difference.

In an ideal world coaches would be better informed.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Dave T - you know just how to light my blue touch paper ..........................

explains why the club remain in Hampshire 3 then !

Balones

Post Likes
Just signed up for this forum. Nice to see some familiar names.
Scrum 5, attacking ball.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Davet said:
In an ideal world coaches would be better informed.

I see your poorly informed coach, and raise you a referee that requires "control" to be displayed when touching down in-goal and not just downward pressure.

;-)

didds

Davet

Post Likes
I see your poorly informed coach, and raise you a referee that requires "control" to be displayed when touching down in-goal and not just downward pressure.

I have just dropped my cards. I may have to fold unless I can find the one I had up my sleeve.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Davet said:
I have just dropped my cards. I may have to fold unless I can find the one I had up my sleeve.

I see your "control" referee, and raise you an assessor who penalizes you in his assessment against laws that changed years ago.

<scoops winnings into arms and walks off whistling>

V

vzf7f9

Here is the answer " if blue took the ball into the in goal area and red blocked the kick and the ball went dead its a 5m Scrum to Red. Why? well Blue have to clear the ball out of ther goal area if the don't then its a 5m scrum that's all in the law book. It happen to me and I made the correct dission its 5m scrum, however if the ball had crossed the goal line back into play and then gone back in and then dead its a 22 drop out.

Hope this clears up this question.

Canadian Referee.