Colours?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had one game where both teams had almost identical shirts, and neither were prepared to reverse or change.
So, like you I told the home team to change, they claimed they had nothing to change to and we had an impasse.
this was about thirty mins before KO.

five mins to go and they retired to changing rooms and three mins later- ran out in bright orange patterned tour shirts that (obviously) they must have known all along they had.

I said nothing, but did enjoy shouting loudly 'Are you ready, orange?' before I blew to start

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Whilst it makes sense for the home team to change, I think in England for league matches the competition rules say the away team must change which actually contradicts and age old tradition of home team changing.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Whilst it makes sense for the home team to change, I think in England for league matches the competition rules say the away team must change which actually contradicts and age old tradition of home team changing.
L3-5 -away team
L6 and below - home team.
Cup matches - home
But organising committees for various leagues and cup competitions can determine their own regulations.

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

I never knew that. No matter, the hosts can ring the visitors and tell them to bring a different set of shirts.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I never knew that. No matter, the hosts can ring the visitors and tell them to bring a different set of shirts.

But when it is 2.30pm on a Saturday, and you realise both teams have the same shirts, it's only the home team who have any chance of finding any other shirts.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I think that is one to check when you ring up 'to confirm how to get to the ground'. "The handbook says you both play in green and black, have you confirmed who is changing? They are, good. Well do ensure you have a change srip in the club house just in case."

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
But when it is 2.30pm on a Saturday, and you realise both teams have the same shirts, it's only the home team who have any chance of finding any other shirts.

one of the teams would turn theirs inside out ... it's usually a white lining

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Then there's no numbers.

Had that a few years ago. My club had all red, with white lining and we played against a team that normally wears navy with red hoops, but for some reason we're wearing a red heritage jersey.. then the ref couldn't make it so I reffed. My club turned their jerseys inside out so I asked the other team if they minded me using names. They were fine so it was "take a step smithy", " hand out Davo"

All went well

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So, in the end purple turned out to be purple, black, white and yellow hoops and the away team were grey with blue arms, not even close to my appointment email of what Google turned up!

I went with names, and that was fine for all standard comms, communicating decisions etc, however I found it very hard on the quick preventative stuff, eg hands away blue very often became hands away instead of hands away Durham, not sure if that’s a speed of thought thing or a speed of talk!

Game ended 91-0 !

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I refereed a team today with quartered shirts. At various times they were green, yellow and blue (not black as that was the oppo)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yesterday I reffed Red and White Quarters
Vs Red White and Blue quarters

It actually wasnt as bad as it sounds

I went for Red and Blue.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
When I contact the home team ahead of a match to confirm details I ask for their colours and ask them for their opponent’s colours too - that can help get ahead of the problem.

(I mainly ask so I can turn up in a top that won’t clash with either team - have to turn up ready to go since we don’t have any clubhouses or changing rooms at my level - but so far never had an issue just using the standard society top as no teams seem to want hideous day-glo yellow for their jerseys…)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I have in the past had Black and White hoops v Black Blue hoops.

Pre-match went something like:
if I say hands out White that's you (point); If I say hands out Blue that's you (point to other team).
If I say hands out Black, that everyone!

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thumbs up for confirming the colours during the week day phone call and don't be shy of suggesting they check action has been taken to avoid a possible clash. Another thumbs up for using short colours / names (we use this technique with sheep dogs), also best to agree the nomenclature with the captain during the briefing "I'll be calling you Green and them Red". This is especially useful when there is a clash.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Another thumbs up for using short colours / names (we use this technique with sheep dogs)

Am I the only one wondering why Sheep Dogs wear shorts?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thumbs up for confirming the colours during the week day phone call and don't be shy of suggesting they check action has been taken to avoid a possible clash. Another thumbs up for using short colours / names (we use this technique with sheep dogs), also best to agree the nomenclature with the captain during the briefing "I'll be calling you Green and them Red". This is especially useful when there is a clash.

funny, i never have a weekday phone call --- I invariably receive an email or text confirm
I never ask about colours, my experience is that the fixtures guy whose job it is to arrange refs has absolutely no particular knowledge about what colour his own team might be wearing this weekend, let alone the oppo :)

If I am in my car I pack three shirts, if I am cycling I pack two. One or other of them will be OK