Colours?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Guess it's just taken as a given here

I think it stems from Referees being in short supply and games being called off for one reason or another, but no one takes the responsibility to tell the ref, who by the time he finds out is too late to get put on another game.

If the ref has set off the club still get charged, they then complain, but the ref is out of pocket on travel expenses, etc.

All so much easier if they just ring the ref and say "game on, will call if it changes". So they made it a regulation to stop the blame game when the ref doesn't turn up, or turns up but there's no game.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I think it stems from Referees being in short supply and games being called off for one reason or another, but no one takes the responsibility to tell the ref, who by the time he finds out is too late to get put on another game.

Yup, been there, 60 minute drive, pull in to an empty club carpark, never a good sign, only the barmaid onsite -"Ooh, did no one tell you?" Grr :mad:

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Yup, been there, 60 minute drive, pull in to an empty club carpark, never a good sign, only the barmaid onsite -"Ooh, did no one tell you?" Grr :mad:

This happened to me several years ago on one of my few forays into Chicago proper (UChicago men), except no one showed up. Ended up driving down to the regional championships and snagging a last-minute AR gig.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had a good one last week.
Home team I know well, play in Royal Blue/White hoops
Away team, never reffed before.

At the warm up both teams in training gear, but I can spy some blue/white going on amongst the away team, so when I have the captains together I ask them what are they wearing
Home - 'normal kit' (he knows me)
Away - 'blue and white, and some yellow flashes'
Me - 'blue and white? what [hopefully] quarters?'
Away 'no, blue and white hoops'

I ask home team if he can change, he says' he'll sort it out'

13:55 Away team come out - basically solid navy blue with barely noticeable tiny thin white 'hoops'. Yellow shoulder.
I think 'bugger, the others needn't needn't have changed ! that would have been fine'

13:58 Home team come out in the their tour kit : basically solid navy blue with barely noticeable black/white speckles. And Yellow Shoulders.
I think 'double bugger!'

Home team go back inside to change back into their normal shirts
;)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
First thing I do on arriving is pop into each changing room and get them to show me their shirts.
As you have described, what they say it looks like and what it actually looks like can be completely different.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
In this day and age is it really not feasible for both sides to have provided the NGB / local union/ league committe /refs society with an actual photo of all club shirts for a season for refs and clubs to check beforehand, to flag up any obvious gotchas?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In this day and age is it really not feasible for both sides to have provided the NGB / local union/ league committe /refs society with an actual photo of all club shirts for a season for refs and clubs to check beforehand, to flag up any obvious gotchas?
we sort of do - it's in Whostheref --- but you can't rely on it as strips change, sometimes 1st and 2nd XV have variations . Plus most clubs have a chage strip / tour strip and sometimes wear them for some reason..

Best sorted out on the day, with the the pragmatic requirement that the home team should change if necessary.

It's not often a problem really - (except in elite rugby where it seems to happen regularly!)

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Best sorted out on the day, with the the pragmatic requirement that the home team should change if necessary.

i've lost count of the number of times i've had to explain to my club colleagues (generally youth coaches) why it has to be this way round, and how it's not really feasible for Stowmarket to nip back to pick up a change kit just because we've decided to play in tour kit rather than their normal shirts. i really fell out with one of them once when he flatly refused, and the ref (not me, but it was my fault of course) refused to start the game as the kits were essentially identical.

plenty of idiots in the youth coaching ranks, glad i don't do that any more.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
i've lost count of the number of times i've had to explain to my club colleagues (generally youth coaches) why it has to be this way round, and how it's not really feasible for Stowmarket to nip back to pick up a change kit just because we've decided to play in tour kit rather than their normal shirts. i really fell out with one of them once when he flatly refused, and the ref (not me, but it was my fault of course) refused to start the game as the kits were essentially identical.

At my local club all the mini and junior teams have reversible shirts as there are a few clubs in the area with the same home colours.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
At my local club all the mini and junior teams have reversible shirts as there are a few clubs in the area with the same home colours.
lots of modern shirts are white on the inside, and I have started at least one adult game with a team plaing with shirts inside out.
It's really not ideal (as they then have no numbers) but can be the only real option :-(

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

and its amazing how the home team almost always CAN find some spare shirts somewhere in the clubhouse, when really pushed ! Shirts that sometimes the coaches didn't even know were there.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
and its amazing how the home team almost always CAN find some spare shirts somewhere in the clubhouse, when really pushed ! Shirts that sometimes the coaches didn't even know were there.
...or haven't been washed or dried since last week :sick:

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Some competition regulations (e.g. South West Division) require the away team to change, as permitted by RFU Reg 13.6.3:

"13.6.3 Kit Clash of Colours
(a) In the event of Clubs having clashing or similar colours:
(i) At Levels 3 to 5, the away team shall be responsible for changing its colours subject to the satisfaction of the appointed Referee.
(ii) At Levels 6 and below, the home team shall be responsible for changing its colours subject to the satisfaction of the appointed Referee.
(iii) In the Cup Competitions, the home team shall be responsible for changing its colours subject to the satisfaction of the appointed Referee;

unless the Organising Committee of the League or Cup Competition concerned has in its regulations or administrative instructions specified the alternative team must change its colours. "

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
West of Scotland, way back in '94/5 had a handbook that had all this information as well as maps to each ground.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Some competition regulations (e.g. South West Division) require the away team to change, as permitted by RFU Reg 13.6.3:

"13.6.3 Kit Clash of Colours
(a) In the event of Clubs having clashing or similar colours:
(i) At Levels 3 to 5, the away team shall be responsible for changing its colours subject to the satisfaction of the appointed Referee.
(ii) At Levels 6 and below, the home team shall be responsible for changing its colours subject to the satisfaction of the appointed Referee.
(iii) In the Cup Competitions, the home team shall be responsible for changing its colours subject to the satisfaction of the appointed Referee;

unless the Organising Committee of the League or Cup Competition concerned has in its regulations or administrative instructions specified the alternative team must change its colours. "
yes, so the implication is that away teams have to travel with spare shirts.

but what happens if they didn't?

I guess then the home team will look for some spare shirts, and lend them to the away team to change into?

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Here's one I had a few months ago. :rolleyes:
On the day I spoke to both captains, neither had a change of shirt.
We agreed to start but if we had problems we would change one team inside out.
Ironically despite how it looks in the picture the colours didn't cause a problem!
I used the calls black or blue on the day.
Action-from-St-Benedicts-v-Keswick.-Picture-Allan-Lambert-768x784.jpg

We agreed to start but if we had problems we would change one team inside out.
Ironically despite how it looks in the picture the colours didn't cause a problem!