[In-goal] Common myth or truth ? Cant be offisde in-goal

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Had a game this weekend where yellow defence had taken it into their own in-goal area. Yellow 10 tried a clearance kick but was under so much pressure he fluffed it and it went forward but actually to his team-mate who was in-goal but in-front of the kicker. Nice catch.
Cue coach telling me that "you can only be offside in the field of play".
Was he right ? I've has a quick scan and cant find any law reference if so ?
Any ideas ?

( I am dubious because this was the same coach who shouted the classic "But he's got to let him get up before going for the ball" nonsense )

Cheers,

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Had a game this weekend where yellow defence had taken it into their own in-goal area. Yellow 10 tried a clearance kick but was under so much pressure he fluffed it and it went forward but actually to his team-mate who was in-goal but in-front of the kicker. Nice catch.
Any ideas ?

( I am dubious because this was the same coach who shouted the classic "But he's got to let him get up before going for the ball" nonsense )

Cheers,

Looks like you were right to be dubious: Law 11.1(a):

[LAWS]...A player can be offside in the in-goal.[/LAWS]

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
In our code you cannot be offside in your own in-goal area. Sounds like we need OB to tell us if he can find a law change.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
In our code you cannot be offside in your own in-goal area. Sounds like we need OB to tell us if he can find a law change.

It's clear from Law 23 in the 1871 Laws that you could even then be offside in in-goal.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
the confusion comes because there are no offside lines in the in goal area.... ( because offside lines are created by rucks/mauls/scrums and these don't exist in goal)

so certain types of offside are indeed impossible in goal

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
the confusion comes because there are no offside lines in the in goal area.... ( because offside lines are created by rucks/mauls/scrums and these don't exist in goal)

Indeed; and after giving my reply above, I realised that RR.com had had previous threads on this - one here.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Any ideas ?

Cheers,

What decision did you make? This can be a penalty try situation under the right circumstances.

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Assuming that is a team coach as opposed to a ref coach you were talking about, the golden rule is never ever ever listen to coaches when it comes to law knowledge!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

I agree, there is no "phase" offside in-goal, but General Play still happens in-goal so a player can still be offside in General Play.

Some confusion may arise among players who play both codes, RU and RL, because in the Laws of RL, a player cannot be offside in his own in-goal...

SECTION 14: OFFSIDE
When offside
1. A player is offside except when he is in his own in-goal if the ball touches, is touched, held or kicked, by one of his own team behind him.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Assuming that is a team coach as opposed to a ref coach you were talking about, the golden rule is never ever ever listen to coaches when it comes to law knowledge!

With one obvious exception of course...

;-)

didds

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Had a game this weekend where yellow defence had taken it into their own in-goal area. Yellow 10 tried a clearance kick but was under so much pressure he fluffed it and it went forward but actually to his team-mate who was in-goal but in-front of the kicker. Nice catch. Cue coach telling me that "you can only be offside in the field of play". Was he right?
No.

I suppose you could argue it was accidental offside (which is a scrum) instead of a PK offence. Without seeing it, it's impossible to say, but if the team mate made a deliberate attempt to go for the ball I'd be inclined to give the PK. By the same token, if the ball was kicked straight into his arms and he instinctively caught it, personally I would give a scrum for accidental offside.

the confusion comes because there are no offside lines in the in goal area.... ( because offside lines are created by rucks/mauls/scrums and these don't exist in goal) so certain types of offside are indeed impossible in goal
Good point.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I'd argue that there is an offside line in general play!

It runs across the field parallel to the goal line and throught the ball carrier's feet (toenail maybe). Any team mate in front of that line is offside and liable to Penalty depending upon his actions. Agreed that there are no Ruck, Maul, Scrum or lineout offside lines.

Clearly, as has been quoted from law the open play offside line exists throughout the playing area and not just in the field of play

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
LOL and TOUCHE! That'll show me!

(make that "with the obvious exceptions" ;-)

didds

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'd argue that there is an offside line in general play!

It runs across the field parallel to the goal line and throught the ball carrier's feet (toenail maybe). Any team mate in front of that line is offside and liable to Penalty depending upon his actions. Agreed that there are no Ruck, Maul, Scrum or lineout offside lines.

Of course, as you say, it only applies to team-mates of the ball carrier. The team not in possession when the ball is being carried, cannot be offside in General Play. Similarly the team who were not last to touch, play or hold a loose ball cannot be offside.

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I blew for offside. ( This wasnt a high level ) there were no attackers likely to catch the ball and score. In fact, the ball would have gone dead, touch-in-goal.
For me it looked like an attacking penalty 5 metres out in line with the offside player. It would have been harsh ( I felt ) to yellow-card him as deliberate at this level. He genuinely looked surprised. The coach was muttering something about "What ARE you on about ref? How can he be offside if he's in -goal ?!"

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I blew for offside. ( This wasnt a high level ) there were no attackers likely to catch the ball and score. In fact, the ball would have gone dead, touch-in-goal.
For me it looked like an attacking penalty 5 metres out in line with the offside player. It would have been harsh ( I felt ) to yellow-card him as deliberate at this level. He genuinely looked surprised. The coach was muttering something about "What ARE you on about ref? How can he be offside if he's in -goal ?!"

it's a big moment. you probably have accidental ? deliberate ? YC ? PT ? all running through your mind. Some players will be genuinely puzzled . The coach is yelling ---

.. and if the attackers are even a little bit switched on they'll be looking to grab the ball and take a quick tap in the confusion for a easy score.. Did they?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I have had a coach argue the no offside in-goal thing

I also had one (yes you angry little man at Esso Fawley in the mid/late 90s) argue that passes CAN go forward in goal with no sanction.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had a development officer who used to like asking people stupid questions to see what they'd say. One time in the pub he spent a solid fifteen minutes arguing that you can't throw a forward pass in-goal, because the offence in throwing a forward pass is throwing a pass to an offside player, and you can't be offside in-goal...

(What he was waiting for was for someone to say "bullshit, the definition of a forward pass in the law book is...", except they kept trying to argue his deliberately nonsensical logic and losing.)

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Was there ever a time when forward was not 'towards the Dead Ball Line'.