Danny Care - will he ever learn?

collybs

Referees in England
Post Likes
England rugby player Danny Care has been arrested and cautioned after urinating on the steps of a Leeds hotel. The Harlequins scrum-half was found by British Transport Police on the steps of the Queens Hotel in Leeds city centre just after 03:00 GMT on Sunday. He was taken to a station by officers and questioned about the offence before being released............
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-17256389

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Probably not...

Swiss Ref

Post Likes
Actually I dont feel "Holier than thou" reading this.

There but for the grace go I! ( Many years ago maybe)

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I thought being ratarsed at 3:00am on a Sunday was a strictly Amateur sort of rugby event.

If I was the person paying him oodles of wonga I might be a tad upset at his disregard for his own health and fitness.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
don't think that they have said he was drunk (that is just a conclusion). BUT after the recent incidents, why was he still out at 3am? He should be home, keeping his name out of the papers for the off field stuff. Idiot

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I thought being ratarsed at 3:00am on a Sunday was a strictly Amateur sort of rugby event.

If I was the person paying him oodles of wonga I might be a tad upset at his disregard for his own health and fitness.

The wonga has nowt to do with it - back in my days in late 1970s (same club, same position), if I had been caught in Leeds like Care was that I would have taken before Committee for dsciplinary, bollocked by coaches / team management and dropped for sure. As well as a major beasting at Monday night training session(s).

We used to catch the train back to London around 7:30 / 8:00 pm ish after matches in Manchester/Liverpool & Leeds, fully blazered & ties and no one stepped out of line in a public place (even language was carefully controlled). We normally had a carriage booked to ourselves, but even so correct behaviour was expected. When back at Kings Cross or Euston of course, or in the West End, we would go to a pub or two or private drinking club (with blazers and ties discarded). Away on tours things were more relaxed but there were always limits.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
England rugby player Danny Care has been arrested and cautioned after urinating on the steps of a Leeds hotel. The Harlequins scrum-half was found by British Transport Police on the steps of the Queens Hotel in Leeds city centre just after 03:00 GMT on Sunday. He was taken to a station by officers and questioned about the offence before being released............
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-17256389
Would a private police force have bothered to arrest him? Oh - hang on a second .... this was the British Transport Police, funded almost exclusively by the train operating companies , Network Rail and London Underground and with a remit limited to railway land (which suggests either that the hotel was under a railway freehold, or the officers arrested Care as private citizens). So it was indeed a private police force that arrested him ...

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Would a private police force have bothered to arrest him? Oh - hang on a second .... this was the British Transport Police, funded almost exclusively by the train operating companies , Network Rail and London Underground and with a remit limited to railway land (which suggests either that the hotel was under a railway freehold, or the officers arrested Care as private citizens). So it was indeed a private police force that arrested him ...

British Transport Police (and Heddlu Trafnidiaeth Prydeinig) are set up and empowered by the Home Office in the same way as the rest of the British Police Forces at County, Metropolitan or City levels. As you say that is restricted to relevant land, but so are the other forces constrained by geographical areas. They are paid for by the contracting transport companies, as are county forces by their Police Authority.

Ulster is different as there is just one Police Force, who cover transport as well.

It is not a private police force legally - as you well know you "stirrer" you :biggrin:

In certain circumstances a BTP constable can act as a police constable outside of their normal railway jurisdiction as described in the "Powers and status of officers" section of their charter. Under "spontaneous requirement outside natural jurisdiction" a BTP constable has the same powers and privileges of a constable of a territorial police force !

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
British Transport Police (and Heddlu Trafnidiaeth Prydeinig) are set up and empowered by the Home Office in the same way as the rest of the British Police Forces at County, Metropolitan or City levels. ... It is not a private police force legally - as you well know you "stirrer" you :biggrin:
Actually, I beg to differ. IMO it is indeed a private police force, in all relevant matters as is suggested for private forces in other threads. It is privately funded (except for a bit of funding for anti-terrorism work); its remit is almost wholly limited to the private land owned by its funding partners; and within the contrainst of that remit its staff enjoy the majority of the powers of the regular police.

It is a very short step from the BTP policing the miscreants that blight the private railway using funds provided by the railway to British Shopping Centre Police using funds provided by the retail sector to police the shoplifters and anti-social elements that blight private shopping centres. I see no fundamental difference between the two.

I'm sure the Home Office plans to retain oversight and empowerment of any additional private police force that may be mooted.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
private land now - but it wasn't private land when the BTP was established - it's just that when privatising stuff some issues are ignored as just too head hurty to sort out.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
private land now - but it wasn't private land when the BTP was established - it's just that when privatising stuff some issues are ignored as just too head hurty to sort out.
Depends on how you look at it. The BTP was established in 1949 as an amalgamation of the pre-existing private police forces established under common law. I'm no expert, but I thought it just inserted a strategic Police Authority between the pre-existing railway paymasters and the constables. From recollection of my (long gone) student days, there was no statutory incorporation of the force (just Wiki'd it - it acquired statutory basis in 1994. When was privatisation?).

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Sir Jimmy Saville used to live at the Queens occasionally as indeed did Eddie Waring.

"Now then now then we have a letter from a young man called Danny who sez uhhuuuuhhhuhhhh!"
"Dear Jim can you fix it for me to arse up my promising rugby career in less than 6 months"
"Wowwwwwwwwwwww! Deary Lord (rattle rattle jewelry jewelry) we asked our good friends in the British Transport Police to help us. Chief Inspector 'ow did young Daniel get on?"
"Well Jim he did really well he managed 2 drink driving convictions and then got arrested for pissing on your front door"
"Wow double fab knockout - can you present him with 'is fix it badge?"
"Certainly Jim and when his career is over we'd like to offer him a job in the British Transport Police"
"Uhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh!"

:biggrin:

Bury_Dave

Referees in England
Post Likes
Actually I dont feel "Holier than thou" reading this.

There but for the grace go I! ( Many years ago maybe)

That's the same for many of us but I doubt that you or I were ever highly paid professional players with some recent and high profile incidents already to our 'credit' playing in the modern era..........

It would appear that Delon-Armitageitis is spreading ....... :chin:

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
don't think that they have said he was drunk (that is just a conclusion). BUT after the recent incidents, why was he still out at 3am? He should be home, keeping his name out of the papers for the off field stuff. Idiot

He was urinating in the street. I hope he was drunk. If he was sober it's disgusting!

He's a professional for God's sake. If I employed him I'd be "considering" his future by now.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
On the same night as "pissgate".

How convenient.