[Law] deliberate knock up

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Am sure someone can word a case against, but play on for me. Risk vs Reward - Getting that wrong in that position on the pitch could end up being YC and PT, so credit to him for pulling it off under pressure.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I am not in favour of allowing this type of play. The knock-on laws are intended to allow a certain amount of juggling while trying to get control. However this is quite deliberate and (being unusual) will probably cause opponents to follow the ball instead of tackling the player (as they would be entitled to do if the tactic were legal).

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I would love to reward the endeavour but he deliberately knocks it forward past an opponent before gathering and that's clearly not allowed. Was it the same ref who allowed the seat belt tackle to prevent a try from one of the earlier threads?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
[LAWS]11.3. A player must not intentionally knock the ball forward with hand or arm.
Sanction : Penalty.
[/LAWS]

There are two different scenarios where a player could knock the ball forward. One: Where he has possession and knocks the ball over a defender and then catches it. Two: As in this scenario (and similar) where he doesn't have possession and knocks the ball forward in an interception (or when trying to collect a poor pass from a teammate).

One, to me, is clearly illegal but Two ​is an exaggerated juggle in an attempt to take control and I'd allow it.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
[LAWS]11.3. A player must not intentionally knock the ball forward with hand or arm.
Sanction : Penalty.
[/LAWS]

There are two different scenarios where a player could knock the ball forward. One: Where he has possession and knocks the ball over a defender and then catches it. Two: As in this scenario (and similar) where he doesn't have possession and knocks the ball forward in an interception (or when trying to collect a poor pass from a teammate).

One, to me, is clearly illegal but Two ​is an exaggerated juggle in an attempt to take control and I'd allow it.
It wasn't a juggle, it was deliberately knocked forward. If we allow this, then we will get a lot of attempted interceptions that are knocked upwards in the expectation that it will not lead to a PK.

Elpablo73

Referees in England
Post Likes
This is just the same as trying to throw the ball over an opponents head with the aim of catching it. There is no attempt to catch the ball only knock it forward - Penalty all day!

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It wasn't a juggle, it was deliberately knocked forward. If we allow this, then we will get a lot of attempted interceptions that are knocked upwards in the expectation that it will not lead to a PK.

How can it be wrong to disallow attempted interceptions that pay off? If It's is gathered before it hits the ground or another payer then good luck I say.

It might be ugly if the percentages tend towards more failures than success but at least there is a sanction if it doesn't pay off.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This is just the same as trying to throw the ball over an opponents head with the aim of catching it. There is no attempt to catch the ball only knock it forward - Penalty all day!

And supported in the laws. So no cute Brian O'Driscoll moves passing to oneself!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
like a lot of rugby, we have to referee on intent, as well as outcome
:wink:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
WHat I would love to see (I don't, but go with the sentiment) is that the minute a knock up/on like that happens, the attempted interceptor takes on right in the ribs. Decision:

if he's not in possession at the time of the tackle, it's a k/o.
If he IS in possession, it's a legit tackle.

It's going to happen

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
WHat I would love to see (I don't, but go with the sentiment) is that the minute a knock up/on like that happens, the attempted interceptor takes on right in the ribs. Decision:

if he's not in possession at the time of the tackle, it's a k/o.
If he IS in possession, it's a legit tackle.

It's going to happen

if he's not in possession, it's playing the man without the ball.

My view is he is in possession so it's a legit tackle. If the ball is knocked on during the tackle, it is a knock-on.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
. Was it the same ref who allowed the seat belt tackle to prevent a try from one of the earlier threads?

no. that one was a paste white "ranga"….this one wasn't (doesn't even have hair!). :biggrin:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Not sure how you can equate bumping up a ball from a very loose and poor "pop" as the same as a deliberate throw over the head?

It was essentially a "loose" ball - he has every right to compete for possession. It went forward. He regathered. He was in a legitimate and realistic position to regather. Job done.

The game is about getting and retaining possession. If you're PKing that then I have real sympathy for the players when they give you the "WTF?" verbal/look!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
How can it be wrong to disallow attempted interceptions that pay off?
Because the law specifically says it is illegal to intentionally knock the ball forward. There is no exemption for an attempted interception.

If the player failed to gather the intentional knock forward, would you award a scrum or a PK?

like a lot of rugby, we have to referee on intent, as well as outcome
:wink:
... and the intent was to knock the ball forward.