Digy Ioane 'Dangerous Tackle'

Mat 04

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

To me, this is barely a penalty. In the event he has been cited and given a 5 week ban. Thoughts?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
on first look YC seemed fair..on 2nd and 3rd look the driving action with his shoulder is a concern. it seems more than just over-balancing and falling on the player, and he didn't seem to be too concerned about bringing him safely to ground.

5 weeks does seem a bit harsh though (if that's what youre saying he received)

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
To me, this is barely a penalty. In the event he has been cited and given a 5 week ban. Thoughts?
Did he tip the ball carrier past the horizontal? Yes - so it's at least a PK straight away
Did he bring him safely to ground? No - so it's now a YC at least and possibly a RC
Did he drop him or force him into the ground? Slightly more difficult. If you believe he did, its a definate RC.

Personally I would have given a PK and a :noyc: but I wouldn't argue with another ref for giving a PK and a :norc:

Last edited:

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
do you think at some point players will come to realise that any action whereby you lift the guy and tilt him over the horizontal is going to be punishable, perhaps even by red?

until they do.... bans will be forthcoming.

Mike Selig

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sorry fellas, for me RC. lifted, taken past horizontal and then driven into the ground. It didn't look as bad as it was because the black player broke his fall with his arm, which we've been told shouldn't be taken into account.

How long is it going to take players to realise they shouldn't lift a player by his knees?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Clear red card. Anyone thinking yellow (as JK and/or his AR) is simply trying to find ways around a very clear directive.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Clear red card. Anyone thinking yellow (as JK and/or his AR) is simply trying to find ways around a very clear directive.
Did he force or drop the ball carrier into the ground "without regard for his safety" I think the directive says? We know he didn't drop him, but I'm not sure he "forced" him either. Using the logic "You just know when it's a red card" I would have opted for a YC because it didn't scream RC to me.

Either way, I think most of us would have given a card of some colour.

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes

Kaplan clearly says "Your decision, I haven't seen it".
The AR replies "Yellow Card".

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
For me RC first thought.

On looking at slo-mo, there was no hard drive down, so borderline YC / RC at elite level (but should be RC for consistency with the whole Game).

RC at community level for me.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
in slow mo it meets all the requirements for a RC, but you can see maybe why the AR only gave a YC (of course knowing it would be looked at later!)

ANyone else think the black player made a bit of a meal of it, because:

A: he lost the ball

B: he looked a nob for getting dumped by a winger!

C: he was trying to get the guy sent off :wow:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Anyone else think the black player made a bit of a meal of it, because:
Yes, but I didn't want to come across as a cynical sod. :biggrin:

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
in slow mo it meets all the requirements for a RC, but you can see maybe why the AR only gave a YC (of course knowing it would be looked at later!)

ANyone else think the black player made a bit of a meal of it, because:

Yes, I thought he milked it a bit too, though I would have given YC in my games too at first look, consistency says it should be Red with replays.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Good summary by Taff, but I would lean to RC.

Lex Hipkins

Post Likes
well we have to be consistent ..and consistency would be a red in my book

.. to put this into perspective ..this is where we could be going if we don't draw the line firmly in the sand now ...

This was a league match on Monday night in Aus .. under their laws he got cautioned but did not have to leave the pitch although he has since been given a 7 week ban apparently .. but imo it should never reach the stage where a player may think he could get away with anything like that

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
:noyc: for me.

:norc: for the RL tackle.

The RL tackle shouted RC straight away. The other one had me thinking RC or YC??? Which means to me that its a YC.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
The defining point for the OP is the lift.
Had Ionne driven the Sharks player back and to the ground without the lift, he would not even receive a PK.
As Ian C has pointed out in previous threads, it is the initial action of grasping the BC below his centre of gravity and then using a lifting action.
Ionne got 5 weeks because he had previous history from 2008 relating to dangerous tackles.

And yes I agree that the Sharks player milked it a bit hoping for a PK or more.

As for the RL tackle, Tony Williams is just a knob. To me, that was a very dangerous tackle at a relatively low height.

MattyP

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
No brainer red card for mine. I love watching Diggers play and I hope the 5 weeks off gives him a chance to go away and think about his tackling technique. There's just no need for that type of outcome from a well-coached player. Everyone should know tip tackles are no-go, and coaches and players need to take responsibility to make sure that they don't occur or suffer the consequences.

As a high school coach in the US coach we get a lot of wrestlers (good) who have lifting in the tackle technique ingrained into them (bad). At the start of every season, we have to train this out of them. We do, never had a card in 5 years (touch wood). If we amateurs can manage, there is absolutely friggin zero excuse for professionals, especially ones with form. Keep the red cards and long suspensions coming to get tip tackles out of the game, I say.