Dissertation Review - Boots and Injury

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've got a Cantebury pair very similar to these http://www.canterburyofnz.com/sports/ethos-iii-club-6-stud-rugby-boot.html.

Wen't ok for the first half/two thirds of the year, then had a bout of pretty debilitating knee pain 60 minutes into a 70 min juniors match (and solieus tightness - though no where near as bad as the knee pain). Iced, neurofin and ultrasound for the rest of the weekend (my mum works for a physio and got given an old machine and training). Saw a physio who strapped the knee with kinesio tape, which helped the tightness, but no real result in the pain on game day. Changed strapping design to hard tape which helped, but did not remove.

Longer story short, saw a podi, made me a custom set of orthotics to fit the boots (as I roll in). No probelms so far (touch wood). Still strapping for support while I build up the muscles around the knee during matches, but ok with general fitness training. If you want/need more info, just ask.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I sometimes ref in runners and found they make my backside sore.

Keep slipping over and landing on it.

Does that help?

Last edited:

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
No, you are lucky they fit and cause you no discomfort. Most of us can only dream of such simplicity.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Does it count as a boot injury if you drop them on your stockinged feet!! :shrug:

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Nice one! let's see if Santa's listening for me. The local club's got lino, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Owen Bisto Taylor

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Finalising my Disser title today, so I will be able to get back to everyone about what information i can use

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
I have gone through two pairs of the Lethal 11's, and I'm now on a pair of Lethal Ultimate. Absolutely love them! I didn't know if I'd find a boot I liked more than the Lethal 11, but the Ultimate are even better, for me at least.

Getting them in the US was always a challenge, but I was able to get my Ultimate's through Amazon.

Regarding calf problems, I was having some issue about a year ago with cramping in one calf. (which anyone who knows me will know that is a large muscle to get cramp in). Turns out that the problem was the strap I was wearing below my knee to counter the patella tendonitis I was having in my knee.

Stopped wearing that and the cramping went away. Focused more on leg training, and in particular making sure that my hammies were getting plenty of attention, and my knees have been fine since then.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
^^^ with calves the size of a neanderthal I think you should go to those minimalist foot shoes and embrace the cave man look!

I have a pair of the vibrams. My wife still hasn't gotten used to me using them and I have had them for nearly 3 years.

Owen Bisto Taylor

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Afraid gents, won't be using any data collected on here, although it has helped alot. Will be doing something more on the lines of the differences in soft tissue injuries between young academy players and older players, and whether there is a correlation between types of boots worn by both groups and the types of injuries