Do we really need this many sub-forums?

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
should it be fora, not forums?

;-)

I do apologise for this, but I am sure that when all is said and done, in the fullness of time, and at the appropriate juncture it will be seen to be a necessary evil.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Can we have a forum for pedantic grammar postings, and then move all the parts of threads that descend into pedantic grammar moved into their own thread there, so the rest of us can discuss the actual point in question?

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Can we have a forum for pedantic grammar postings, and then move all the parts of threads that descend into pedantic grammar moved into their own thread there, so the rest of us can discuss the actual point in question?

Don't you mean moved into their own threads there?

(I think we are just kidding around now - I know I was just making stuff up about Greek and Latin Entymology. Damn BBC removed my Youtube clip which was a really funny Yes Minister clip about the difference between Latin and Greek.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think we need a sub-forum to discuss this in.
In which to discuss this.

I like the idea of a grammar bin, into which grammatical detours can be consigned. I can envisage many a happy hour rummaging around in there. Ad libitum sed absit injuria verbis

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I like the idea of a grammar bin too.

May adopt that one! What do we think, any posts picking on grammar (where that is not the context of the thread) should be moved the the grammar bin with haste & speed. :biggrin:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

May adopt that one! What do we think, any posts picking on grammar (where that is not the context of the thread) should be moved the the grammar bin with haste & speed. :biggrin:

Might as well just automatically redirect all Dixie's posts straight to the grammar bin then?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

So that would cut out any jokes about typos, ambiguities etc? Seems a bit heavy handed to me. Deal with it if it is deemed excessive ie "manage it".

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

we could call it the grammar bin larder

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Agree OB.. Small quips are no real issue, changing a thread about lineouts (for example) to the grammar of the opening posts to the point where there are more posts about the grammar than the lineout question, possibly a little much.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Agree OB.. Small quips are no real issue, changing a thread about lineouts (for example) to the grammar of the opening posts to the point where there are more posts about the grammar than the lineout question, possibly a little much.
That seems about the right balance.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I like how you keep referring to put grammar into a 'bin'....that made me chuckle as I thought it was already there!

Ps I stumbled across a fishing forum where one of the rules was you had to attempt to use proper grammar, and posts with total disregard for grammar (such as text talk, and no punctuation) were deleted. IMO it had some merit to it - though 'nazi factor' came to mind!

Last edited:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
that fishing forum sounds awesome!

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
... making stuff up about Greek and Latin Entymology. Damn BBC removed my Youtube clip which was a really funny Yes Minister clip about the difference between Latin and Greek.

Now, now! Don't go blaming Auntie, for deleting stuff on U-tube. Plainly she hasn't!
(Not all of them anyhow. :eek:fftopic:)
How about changing a thread about sub-forum (flora and fauna) into a debate about the differences between Latin and Greek?

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Don't you mean moved into their own threads there?

(I think we are just kidding around now - I know I was just making stuff up about Greek and Latin Entymology. Damn BBC removed my Youtube clip which was a really funny Yes Minister clip about the difference between Latin and Greek.
This one?

Hacker: Sir Mark thinks there might be votes in it, and I do not intend to look a gift horse in the mouth.
Sir Humphrey: I put it to you, Minister, that you are looking a Trojan horse in the mouth.
Hacker: You mean if we look closely at this gift horse, we'll find it's full of Trojans?
Bernard: Um, if you had looked the Trojan Horse in the mouth, Minister, you would have found Greeks inside. Well, the point is that it was the Greeks who gave the Trojan horse to the Trojans, so technically it wasn't a Trojan horse at all; it was a Greek horse. Hence the tag "timeo Danaos et dona ferentes", which, you will recall, is usually and somewhat inaccurately translated as "beware of Greeks bearing gifts", or doubtless you would have recalled had you not attended the LSE.
Hacker: Yes, well, I'm sure Greek tags are all very well in their way; but can we stick to the point?
Bernard: Sorry, sorry: Greek tags?
Hacker: "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts." I suppose the EEC equivalent would be "Beware of Greeks bearing an olive oil surplus".
Sir Humphrey: Excellent, Minister.
Bernard: No, well, the point is, Minister, that just as the Trojan horse was in fact Greek, what you describe as a Greek tag is in fact Latin. It's obvious, really: the Greeks would never suggest bewaring of themselves, if one can use such a participle (bewaring that is). And it's clearly Latin, not because timeo ends in "-o", because the Greek first person also ends in "-o" – although actually there is a Greek word timao, meaning 'I honour'. But the "-os" ending is a nominative singular termination of a second declension in Greek, and an accusative plural in Latin, of course, though actually Danaos is not only the Greek for 'Greek'; it's also the Latin for 'Greek'. It's very interesting, really.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Yes Minister currently being rerun in the DC area on PBS.

It makes me happy.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
This one?

Naturally, although you missed the punchline:

Hacker: (ignoring Bernard) "Yes, I take your point, Humphrey, but is it really all that serious?"

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Hacker: (ignoring Bernard) "Yes, I take your point, Humphrey, but is it really all that serious?"

Surely the punchline is:

Sir Humphrey: Yes Minister.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

I got it from Wikipedia, which does not include that line.