Drug testing at the community level

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well I know of at least 4 players currently on steroids for training.

Does anyone know of any compulsory drug testing in the community game? if not why not?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
never hard of it happening, and i would imagine because of the cost/resources involved. who is going to process the urine samples of (say) 6 players for every adult match every saturday?

Plus the thought that many banned substances exist in ordinary everyday products and it would be "too much" to expect a L7 rugby player to know the ins and outs of what his works canteen use in meals etc.

didds

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Well I know of at least 4 players currently on steroids for training.

Are you making a distiction between training and playing?

Surely they are just on steroids? (allegedly)

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
no, just meant they add them in as part of their training.
When I was finishing my playing days at a L.7 club, one of the flankers was a serious body builder. If he was forced to chose between the two sports, he'd go with the body building. He was on steroids to help bulk him up, so it's not at all new or even uncommon IMO. But I don't think there's much value in a country-wide compliance programme. At short notice, I often have to travel to parts of Europe and the US. Would I be banned if I was not at home when the testers called? Who needs that sort of nonsense for a hobby?

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Would I be banned if I was not at home when the testers called?

to be fair - only if you missed 3 on the trot.

Who needs that sort of nonsense for a hobby?

Quite.

Though when we get to semi-pro level and beyond, and people's incomes can be affected, ... at what point does / should drug testing come into the reckoning?

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
I would think routine drug testing should occur, maybe a mobile squad that goes around various clubs.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I would think routine drug testing should occur, maybe a mobile squad that goes around various clubs.

A mobile squad? As in: one? There are thousands of rugby clubs up and down the land. Those thousands of clubs usually have more than one team. Can you propose roughly what number of mobile units would be able to do sufficient tests to make a meaningful contribution? Are we talking fewer than ten, fewer that 100, fewer than 1000?

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Numbers aren't important, the threat should be enough.

Davet

Post Likes
OK we have a team that viist a club at random each week and then test a number of players at the club (home and opposition whichever teams happen to be there)

Season is say 26 weeks - so they visit 26 clubs out of ...? every year, and at each club the test a say 10% of the players they find there.

I suspect that the odds of getting tested may not act as a serious disincentive.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
LLP of course

Davet - the bans will be the deterrent if caught.

We have CDT (compulsory drug testing) in the Army. Its totally random, I was tested twice in 4 months, and not again for 6 years. It is a deterrent. They decide who to hit and when. Also the Commanding officer can request his unit to be tested.

So in the RFU, total random, unless asked for. It is creeping in to society and into games and some players maybe tempted to play "on a high" this is dangerous and would be stamped out. I cannot although qualified to do impairment tests for the police say to a player, you are not playing because I suspect drug use.

Saying that its easier to pretend their is no drugs in community sport.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
OK we have a team that viist a club at random each week and then test a number of players at the club (home and opposition whichever teams happen to be there)

Season is say 26 weeks - so they visit 26 clubs out of ...? every year, and at each club the test a say 10% of the players they find there.

I suspect that the odds of getting tested may not act as a serious disincentive.

you could put the same argument up for drink driving :chin:

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I have been at 2 games when they have done drug testing, Both at lvl 2 and probably at least 8 years ago, The players had no probs with it but it did serve as a deterent!

Just for fun my 3 to be tested would be,

1, Crossref, what is he on?
2, Phil E, never understood northerners!
3, Andy pandy, why those stripey PJ's

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Judging from what I see on a Saturday, there's not a lot of performance enhancing drugs in use among the "sticks" rugby.

Davet

Post Likes
Davet - the bans will be the deterrent if caught.

Quite - like drinking and driving.

But it doesn't stop a lot of people from taking the risk, because they know it the risk is small.

Now, for me evene a small risk is unacceptable becauser the consequence of not having a licence is that I cannot do my job, so I just don't. But others who may not be in that position take less heed.

In the Army the result may also cost you your job, so it is a deterrent.

But for many, then getting a ban from rugby may not be a really serious issue - gives them more time to go fishing...

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
But for many, then getting a ban from rugby may not be a really serious issue - gives them more time to go fishing...

Maybe so, but most will be gutted with a few years on the sideline.

Davet

Post Likes
Perhaps - but its a matter of risk evaluation - If I get caught, then I will lose out. The odds on getting caught are very long, and the hence punishment is not catastrophic - hence people take the risk - since the benefit is that they get bigger and stronger on steriods. They may face a RC - steroids are associated with red mist behaviour - but that's only a few weeks.

My point is that a testing programme at community level would be very expensive and would have virtually no impact on steriod or other PE drug use.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Perhaps - but its a matter of risk evaluation - If I get caught, then I will lose out. The odds on getting caught are very long, and the hence punishment is not catastrophic - hence people take the risk - since the benefit is that they get bigger and stronger on steriods. They may face a RC - steroids are associated with red mist behaviour - but that's only a few weeks.

My point is that a testing programme at community level would be very expensive and would have virtually no impact on steriod or other PE drug use.

I think drug use is not as considered as that.
Bob, I am really struggling to keep up with the game, I am training and not getting any better.
Frank, thats ok bud, have some of this before the game and you will feel like superman.
Bob, not sure will I get caught?
Frank, nah no chance.
Bob, ok cool
Frank, cheers only 20 notes mate.

That is until Bob gets caught and he is banned.