England v Australia - referee crunched

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
About 14 minutes into the match, Garces got crunched between an Australlan ball carrier and an English defender. He was left on the ground while the ball carrier continued forward. He got up and shoured "Play on! Nothing happened!". (The move was eventually stopped by an awesome cover tackle from Courtney Lawes.)

It seemed clear to me that Australia gained a significant advantage because the clash prevented a tackle, and the result should have been a scrum to Australia.
[LAWS]6.A.10 (a) If the ball or the ball carrier touches the referee and neither team gains an advantage, play continues. If either team gains an advantage in the field of play, the referee orders a scrum and the team that last played the ball has the throw-in.[/LAWS]

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
i thought the same thing OB...

didds

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Since when have the French ever adhered to written Laws? :biggrin:

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
He was on the floor for some time and cannot have seen what happened well while in that position - at the time I thought that I would definitely have stopped the game but perhaps with AR's able to feed in to him as they didn't he decided he could let play continue.... I also thought that being in a player sandwich like that probably frazzled his brain because he did as you say interfere with an attempted tackle.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I thought exactly the same when it happened.
He should have blown his whistle straight away, and awarded a scrum.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I initially assumed it was Garces shouting for the benefit of the players. Listening to it again, I agree it was in fact Nigel Owens shouting play on. What an appalling error of judgement.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I initially assumed it was Garces shouting for the benefit of the players. Listening to it again, I agree it was in fact Nigel Owens shouting play on. What an appalling error of judgement.

OB. do you mean in general that it's wrong for an AR to advise the referee in that circumstance? Or just that for this particular incident NO got it wrong, something had happened.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
It would be ok to advise play on if the Ref hadn't affected the game but He did and St Nigel cklearly got this wrong as did garces who should have overulled him as at the very least ie would have been a little shook up

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
OB. do you mean in general that it's wrong for an AR to advise the referee in that circumstance?
Of course not.
Or just that for this particular incident NO got it wrong, something had happened.
It was certainly very clear to me - and I was a lot further away.