[Law] England v France - 24/4/2921

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
:deadhorse:

yes, well, that about sums up your thinking ! Never any attnetion paid to the actual changes in book, just hanging on to that 'nothing changed' mantra ...

but I do agree nothing to be gained by rehearsing the old arguments.

I was just caught with Marc's idea that it would be a good thing to do a close comparison between 2017 and 2018 texts, highlighting any differences !!

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Which reminds me of the incident we were discussing.
As the ref had blown, it was an incorrectly taken kick. Under 7.3e it cannot be advantage so depending on the law book either a retake or scrum. It cannot be a line-out.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Which reminds me of the incident we were discussing.
As the ref had blown, it was an incorrectly taken kick. Under 7.3e it cannot be advantage

which is beautiful, because 7.3e itself was new in 2018 --- so in 2017 they could have played advantage if they wanted to.

So perhaps the referee is a 2017 fundamentalist, still doggedly reffing to the 2017 book :) (no, I'm not serious)

I do wonder if this 2021 change is the mistake. Given the PK was never taken, the ball has never been returned to play, so what offence has really been committed? Logically the answer would seem to be 'the PK I awarded hasn't been taken yet, so go take it.

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I agree with that.

When I asked a couple of Premiership referees this questions a season or so ago their pragmatic answer was, if the kick was not taken correctly then play hasn't restarted. so just come back and restart play properly. No point in having a scrum.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
+ when you consider that the new scrum sanction is not listed in Law 19.1 (as it should be) and you really are drawn to the conclusion that it was added as a mistake.

no doubt be someone who meant well, under the mistaken impression they were correcting a 2017/18 mistake.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I suppose they know all players are pushing the boundaries, but they have to choose which ones to police.
But i do find it odd when a referee makes a mark, the kicker starts their run in front of that mark and kicks five metres in front, and they wave that away - then take many minutes wondering if the player who caught the cross kick had a bootlace in touch.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I was just caught with Marc's idea that it would be a good thing to do a close comparison between 2017 and 2018 texts, highlighting any differences !!

Failing to understand OR telling lies again. You choose!

Marc Wakeham said:
What I said was "It is high time that WR admits the massive cock up the simplification of 2018 was. They need to go back to the 2017 book and compare it to the current book and come up with a definitive version."

Nothing to do wit hthw 2018 book or highlighting difference it wa about doing the job properly.