England v France

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
If Fickou was on 8m, so are the rest of the French back line. Looks about 10m to me. England look to be slightly further back than 10m!

I never had the luxury of 5m mowed grass strips, so I preferred to stand where I could see both back lines and the lineout.

I looked at the mown strips and, if they are 5m, my estimate of 8m stands. I think the fly half was closer.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Wrt that du pont knock on.. refs have blown this fumble at the ruck as knock on for yonks. This was just an extreme version .

I dont agree with it per se, just presume it's a generic approach to avoid making a decision on a centimetre drop

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Dupont drops the ball backwards, puts his hands on it and falls off the ball again. I assumed the knock-on was for the second touch.

Regarding the French lineout move, the whole back line were aligned and I assume where the AR had marked them. Fickou moved up legally. I thought it was a fantastic set piece play.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Wrt that du pont knock on.. refs have blown this fumble at the ruck as knock on for yonks. This was just an extreme version .

I dont agree with it per se, just presume it's a generic approach to avoid making a decision on a centimetre drop

yes, that

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
France's second try (am I coming across as a biased England fan?). Interesting to see Fikou's starting position at the line-out as the ball left the thrower's hand - 10 metres?

Looks good to me.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
To answer my own question: I looked back through the footage and estimate that Fickou, anticipating the play, was not more than 8 metres from the line of touch as the ball was thrown.
A further question: when does the line-out end allowing players not in the line - and starting 10 metres back - to participate?
When the ball has passed the 15 metre line? In which case, Fickou was, say, 3 metres back.

Hard to referee this I know.