Expectations

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
When I read through some of the threads, I get the feeling some ref's have either much higher expectations or much nicer appointments on average. I just wonder what other refs expectations are when they show up to a ground?

Mine are...

Things I absolutely expect
1. The teams will have gear that identifies them as one team, and separates them from the opposition.
2. The teams will all have mouthguards.
3. There are some form of goalposts with padding.
4. Some effort has been made, at some point, to mark the ground. (this includes just mowing the lines in)

Things I expect, but will play a game without:
1. The teams to have shirts with numbers corresponding to their position (schools teams often have no numbers, random numbers from three teams spare shirts, and the OBU 69ers all wear 69.)
2.The players to have footwear. (if some players have sprigs and some have sneakers that's okay. If some have no shoes at all, we all play barefoot. Welcome to the East Coast.)
3. The field is level. (Ha.)
4. The ground has actual visible markings.
5. There's a crossbar.
6. The ground is in such a condition that there's less than an inch of surface water/mud, or that there's actual grass on the field. (Worst conditions - So bad the kickoffs had to be a punt because the ball didn't bounce for a dropkick.)
6. I share a common language with the captain and players. (Deaf rugby and Pacific players so far exceptions)

Things I don't expect but are shiny to have.
1. AR's.
2. Comms gear.
3. Roped or marked areas which keep the crowd out of the way.
4. Subs/random team related people listen to me when I tell them to get out of the bloody way, and stay there.

Miracles
1. Comms gear that works.
2. Fences to keep spectators behind.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Mine:
1. I get a decent appointment deserving of my ranking.
2. I talk with my coach about what I need to work on.
3. My car will get me to the ground.
4. I remember to charge my comms gear.

That is all. I do not expect anything from the players, grounds etc as I have learnt I get frustrated at it all and therefore have a bad game.
I have a few "catchphrases" that I live by in my refereeing and one of them is "control the controlable" and that means that almost everything on you list is out of your control so why worry about it?
What happens happens and as long as individually I have done everything I expect from myself then I am happy.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
6. The ground is in such a condition that there's less than an inch of surface water/mud, or that there's actual grass on the field. (Worst conditions - So bad the kickoffs had to be a punt because the ball didn't bounce for a dropkick.)
When the person face down at the bottom of the ruck, with his arms pinioned, breathes in that surface water and drowns, whose fault is it that the game was played in lethal conditions?
Law 1.6(b) said:
(b) The referee ... must not start a match if any part of the ground is considered to be dangerous.
Could this result in civil and possibly criminal prosecution of the referee in NZ?

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
The game I had in those conditions I called a scrum every time the ball went down. Golden oldies scrums meant we still had a game.

To be honest, I didn't want to face down forty girls, their parents, and all sundry people involved saying no game when the match organiser said game on.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Chickref - there is a a very wide range of experience and participation levels on RugbyRefs, which makes it the excellent forum it is.

Everyone has a slightly different perspective based on their scope of activity - from semi-pro (KML1 & Jacko) and international (Bryan and some of our US colleagues), high level Leagues through to 'grass-roots' rugby and then across to the Schools / Youth rugby and finally to the next generation of rugby players at U12 and younger. We have referees, match observers (assessors), playing coaches and our very own 'terraces referee' - all having their own views and attitudes.

Also each nation has different perspectives and structure to how rugby is played in their country to offer, from the English rugby sheer scale (10,000 + qualified referees covering thousands of League, Cup, Merit, friendlies etc and 40 + Societies backed up by RFU Refs Dept) to other countries who have fewer (if any) Societies and a stronger central mandate organisation.

As for the matches we referee/assess, our "expectations" will reflect the levels and types of matches we cover - is it a small country club in a field (I saw plenty like that in NZ) or is it a big town club in a municipal or even self owned stadium.

I think your 'expect but will play list' list indicates the different cultural background in NZ to even the most basic English grassroots clubs. Yes we do have the mud bath pitches and slopes of varying angles, lines that are barely visible as they canlot afford the whitewash, but clubs will have matching (mostly) shirts, players will have boots (never seen anyone play barefoot).

Language can be a problem when on exchange to areas with strong dialects (west country, north east, Liverpool, Oxford :wink: , Essex marshes, etc) or if reffing a club near to an Army base (hence lots of Fijians in the XV).
Comms gear is only used at the top 4 levels (with appointed ARs) - about 100 matches per week, plus by Societies and especially Combined Services for "special matches" (Cup semis and Finals, County matches etc).

I think you are pretty close to things in your lists (btw mouthguards are not mandatory for adult rugby in England), but I would add :

• basic first aid kit, stretcher, number for emergency paramedic call (and we are seeing increasingly access to defib equip, etc).
  • for youth rugby full child safeguarding process in place
  • a beer & meal afterwards in clubhouse
  • 5m roped channels are required for all adult League / Cup matches in England and in my county for all Colts and U17s matches, with technical areas applied

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Is this a thing you absolutely expect?

Do you just not consider lower appointments from time to time, to help out the Society?

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes

Do you just not consider lower appointments from time to time, to help out the Society?

I don't care what matches I get as long as it gets me out of the house at the weekend!

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

I will definitely help out the association and do a juniors game in the morning if I can be given a little bit of notice as the future Mrs Oli and I are planning out wedding and Saturday mornings are the only time we get to go and look at venues etc.

Chris Picard

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Things I absolutely expect

- Hopefully to wake up in the morning

- players in matching jerseys

Things I don't expect but are shiny to have.

- A field with grass

Miracles

- A field with grass

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
All of my expectations relate to my own resposibilities. Everything else is out of my hands.

1. I will be there on-time or a little early
2. I will be physically and mentally prepared
3. I will treat everyone with the respect I expect to get back
4. I will work hard

The conditions, teams, ropes, etc are out of my hands. Anything that is right on those points is just a bonus

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
All of my expectations relate to my own resposibilities. Everything else is out of my hands.

1. I will be there on-time or a little early
2. I will be physically and mentally prepared
3. I will treat everyone with the respect I expect to get back
4. I will work hard

The conditions, teams, ropes, etc are out of my hands. Anything that is right on those points is just a bonus

No ropes, no game.
We've had law suits from spectators who got injured when a tackle took place on the touchline. Where they were standing.

I would STRONGLY recommend that you adopt that standard with ropes. I do.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I have no expectations.

I am therefor, always pleasantly surprised.
:cool:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Min 20 players between 2 teams (unless it's 7s :) )
place to play, ideally marked, if lines are indistinct we play an honourable game, refs decision is FINAL.
Posts are nice but not necessary, if in place then post protectors are a requirement - as is padding over anything hard in close proximity.
Under thses conditions I would expect the game to be not a league game, so ropes not an issue to restrain the 3 passing tourists who got lost and the home coach (away coach is probably playing).

Ball.

Got my own whistle.

Beer afterwards. If Boxing Day, port at half time.

Enrique

Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Mine:

Our society (ARURBA - Buenos Aires Rugby Union Referees Assn.) has a policy of appointing every week some high level referees (those in the national panel, some with international credentials) to the lowest level senior games (Group IV here). The experience has proved brilliant for both refs and players, and nobody has never complained "it's below my ranking". Sometimes top level refs even do youth matches, and their management skills help a lot in having shiny, dynamic games. Our Board believes (with overwhelming support from the refs community) that any game, irrespectively of the teams' ranking, deserves the best officials available; on the other hand, that policy leaves some space to appoint promising young refs to higher level matches.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Tales of International Refs like Spreaders, Ed M, Whitey and Barnsey just to name a few turning up to do a Vets, 3rds or U16 are legendary (and true).