Experiences of Crouch-Bind-Set-Yes 9

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Going slightly off topic, but take a look........ Ok for a giggle!!!!

http://balls.ie/rugby/george-clancy-takes-on-brian-moore-in-scrum-challenge/

taff -this is what Brian demo'ed to us very effectively at our Society Training meeting he spoke at a few seasons ago.

what disturbs me is

a) why are there so few people in the session ?
b) why are they seated in what we presenters call "the ring of non-engagement" , except for three delegates. They should all be in sitting in front four rows and centred.

taff426

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Totally agree with you regarding the seating arrangements, bang in Simin.

The only reason I can think with regards to the numbers, the clip was at the IRB Elite Referees conference a few weeks ago. Obviously I'm not privy to who was invited, so at a guess I'm guessing there weren't many elite referees in attendance, or, they were all hidden away at the back, away from the "ring if engagement"

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Crossref
As I said, it was sent out by the RFU to all CBs and Societies.
Maybe you should be asking the question to your society?

Having read the RFU scrum trial page on their website, I am not going to keep going back to it just in case they post any amendments, but I am going to read what I am sent by email.

it should be added to the website, with an email cascade to tell people it's there.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
After the meeting I will be emailing bullet point advice and the RFU link to all our referees and club referees, for those who are on holiday and can't make the meeting.

how will any new people who join the society next month get to see it ?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
it should be added to the website, with an email cascade to tell people it's there.

I have already had a reply from the Head of Rugby Development at the RFU (on a Sunday, that is good).

They are adding it to the RFU website, as crossref suggests.

He also tells me that the email and PDF was sent to Panel Referees (levels 3-5), Societies and Federations, CB Coaching Chairmen and Club Coaching Coordinators, so perhaps crossref should ask his CB's Coaching Chairman and his Club's Coaching Coordinator why he has not received the email / PDF from them.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
should it not also be sent to CRefCs too?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
it does -- the RFU really should publish that document. Seriously.

Crossref makes some good points, I rec'd that document via my Society, I'd assumed this was the standard cascade protocol ? but isn't the problem that all the separate RFU's will have their own guidance, surely central IRB location would be better, with then maybe some chance of worldwide consistent approach?

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
should it not also be sent to CRefCs too?

probably Dave - RFU are adding Club Secs to the original distribution list. In the new "One Game RFU" the CB Coaching and Club Coaching folks get them so that is everyone covered isn't it ?

Do CRefC's still officially exist ? Are there still CRefManagers ?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Totally agree with you regarding the seating arrangements, bang in Simin.

The only reason I can think with regards to the numbers, the clip was at the IRB Elite Referees conference a few weeks ago. Obviously I'm not privy to who was invited, so at a guess I'm guessing there weren't many elite referees in attendance, or, they were all hidden away at the back, away from the "ring if engagement"

The attendees list would indeed be interesting, as would the bar bill etc

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Do CRefC's still officially exist ? Are there still CRefManagers ?

the latter i don't know about, and the former would certainly make my position on the club's management committee tenuous!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
all the separate RFU's will have their own guidance, surely central IRB location would be better, with then maybe some chance of worldwide consistent approach?

that is not how the fundamental structure & funding of IRB & home unions (of all different sizes and stages of development) funding is made up.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
First experience on sat.

Pre match brief, it's up to us to make it work, so if you think it's a preseason so we will just reset and I wont bin players you are wrong, season standards start here.

From that 2 FKs and all was well.

The hardest part was getting them to crouch ear to ear, but when they did it was easy?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
it seems most Societies have the new RFU Guidance on their web site.

A number of us (including Adam) were told that the RFU are still intent on fine tuning their guidance for SEP prior to the start of the season. Whether this results in another "Papal Bull" from Twickenham we'll see.

My son who was playing in the second row on Saturday (and was not briefed by the referee) found it harder work than CTS/CTPE as it appears teams are "pushing" right from SET then going for/resisting a second shove later (hopefully when the ball comes in). That said he is a lazy bugger so I have no sympathy.

I won't get a chance to look at CBS for a few weeks yet but watching afew games on TV and a seeing one live game it appears there is still some work to do on all sides. I am tempted to agree with andyscott (Christ I never thought I'd say that) and insist we make players comply right from the get go rather than allowing a period of acclimatisation. I'm sure I'll view it differently once I'm faced with managing it for real.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I guess that other than Adam, taff426 and andyscott nobody was out testing the changes. Instead they were all worrying about the channels of communication.

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am tempted to agree with andyscott (Christ I never thought I'd say that) and insist we make players comply right from the get go rather than allowing a period of acclimatisation.

There is some sound thinking there!! Rigid consistent application of the law from the start is essential. If the referees start easing off then the players will capitalise and feel they do not have to adapt - that is where it all went wrong before.

The players have got to learn to do it according to the law.

In view of the importance of this being accurate from the start it is tempting to suggest, if practicable, that societies should not appoint referees until they are satisfied that they have received appropriate instruction. Such as Hampshire meeting tonight!!!!

PS Observers cannot possibly do their job without having been similarly instructed!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
PS Observers cannot possibly do their job without having been similarly instructed!

Mike - noted. We will see who shows up this evening.

I can feel an Observer's Saturday morning meeting coming up very soon indeed.

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
In view of the importance of this being accurate from the start it is tempting to suggest, if practicable, that societies should not appoint referees until they are satisfied that they have received appropriate instruction. Such as Hampshire meeting tonight!!!!

In East Mids we've been sent emails and texts saying we will not be appointed and should not do club games until we've been signed off by our training officer.

I didn't go to the BBQ yesterday but I understand there was going to be a session there for anyone wanting to do pre-season games with their clubs. As I have lots of non-rugby things to do before then, I'm happy to wait until our September conference.