Experiences of Crouch-Bind-Set-Yes 9

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I don't really know how societies deal with referees not doing what is expected of them, any ideas?

We receive feedback from Coaching and Assessment Reports, Club Cards, emails / calls from coaches or DoR, and general conversations on a whole range of referee related issues - some complaints and some praise !

If Society Referees are out of line with specific IRB, RFU or Society guidance a quiet word might be had by one of the Committee (usually me as SADO or KML1 as our Training Officer) and an " adjustment " suggestion made. That conversation will all depend on the experience & grade level of the referee and their development plan, their attendance at Training Meetings, and what is behind it all.

If it is a serious issue affecting safety, direct disregard for agreed procedures, or a maverick tendency the conversation is important and compliance would be expected.

We woud follow a standard ATP process.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
This weekend I had both scrumhalves feeding the ball nose first with a spin. One was very much a newbie but the other clearly knew better. Then again, she also was indignant when I called feeding after the put in first hit the hooker's thigh.

All in all, it looks to help.

Both nose first and feeding to hooker have always has been illegal and nothing new or related to this season's LATS.

Well done for the making the feeding call.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
After the match one of the coaches "told me" that it was OK to put one foot in front of the other but that the heel of the front foot must not go past the toe of the other foot.... which I have to say I raised an eyebrow at as nowhere have I ever read this as a law....He is however our forwards' coach so wanted to get the definitive answer from you guys before I set him right!! :chair:

He's right, 20.2[c] permits it, PROVIDED 20.2.[a] is observed ..... ie not further ahead of a props feet that are in a NORMAL SHOVING POSITION

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I had to search through all this guff about the scrum to find a couple of folks not off topic on this music thread. I thought CBS&Y9 were a great band. The harmonies on Suite:Judy Blue Eyes are fantastic !

Originally CBS did Suite:Judy Blue Eyes. Y9 joined them later (This all sounds familiar) for Deja Vu, having done a couple of solo projects since leaving Buffalo Springfield.

Yes the harmonies are excellent....."Will you come see meeeeeee? Thursdays and Saturdays........whad've you got to looooooooose?"

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Can honestly say that in post match debrief for the last 3 appointed observations, the scrum has been a minor matter. Refs and players with good commonsense are making it work well and getting on with the game.

All we need now is commonsense approach to cleaning up the tackle / post tackle which will continue to be the major challenge for all aspiring refs.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
All we need now is commonsense approach to cleaning up the tackle / post tackle which will continue to be the major challenge for all aspiring refs.

Now now, don't be too hasty we don't want it too easy and everyone rushing to be a rugby ref! :nono:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I was waiting for Dragons v Scarlets on BBC RB 301 last friday evening... and I only just caught a snippet of some scrummaging practise on a video filler with talk to a coach. Whatever pro team it was they were scrummaging on a machine.

Crouch - Bind - set -- all good. Except on the "set" there was STILL a push forwards - several small steps in unsion - before the settle and the yes 9.

I despair.

didds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Can honestly say that in post match debrief for the last 3 appointed observations, the scrum has been a minor matter. Refs and players with good commonsense are making it work well and getting on with the game.

That is my experience as well.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I was waiting for Dragons v Scarlets on BBC RB 301 last friday evening... and I only just caught a snippet of some scrummaging practise on a video filler with talk to a coach. Whatever pro team it was they were scrummaging on a machine.

Crouch - Bind - set -- all good. Except on the "set" there was STILL a push forwards - several small steps in unsion - before the settle and the yes 9.

I despair.

didds

Agree, coaches are still telling players to "chase their feet" after the "hit" :shrug:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Agree, coaches are still telling players to "chase their feet" after the "hit" :shrug:
Then it's up to us to try ATP first and to give FKs if that fails ... and to escalate to PKs if necessary.

Mind you, a pack would have to be pretty thick to get to the PK stage.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i don't quite understand why this happens.

the first match I had this season, after a few scrums the exasparated hooker turned on his back five and said 'look there's no point shoving on set - the ball isn't going to come in until the scrum has stopped moving, all you are doing is making it harder for me to be in position to hook'

that made sense to me.

liversedge

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
i don't quite understand why this happens.

Because the FR are starting closer together and must be balanced at crouch then for those less practiced their feet will be underneath them i.e. not the strong 120 degree angle. They need to adjust their feet on set. I've also noticed a tendency to bind early to prevent loss of balance.

Having said that, I ref at a pretty low standard as a L13 ref, so maybe its just a skill thing !

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
. I've also noticed a tendency to bind early to prevent loss of balance.

IMO It's not a 'material' problem if they do, they cant shove so let them, still take your time checking bindings etc & then when you're satisfied it's now Sq&Stable then Y9 & lets play some ruggar

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
IMO It's not a 'material' problem if they do, they cant shove so let them, still take your time checking bindings etc & then when you're satisfied it's now Sq&Stable then Y9 & lets play some ruggar

i'd like to hear an assessor's view of that (binding before you say bind)

is it immaterial?
or is it a warning sign that you are losing control of the engagement process.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
i'd like to hear an assessor's view of that (binding before you say bind)

is it immaterial?
or is it a warning sign that you are losing control of the engagement process.

Or is it an unnecessary prescribed utterance? In the Glasgow v Leinster match it made bugger all difference.

Last edited: