Eye gouging at Club level

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Similar incident in Cumbria at the start of the season :sad:

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
We're coming to a 'for life' ban . . . the sooner the better. Blindness is for life, so why not?

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
We're coming to a 'for life' ban . . . the sooner the better. Blindness is for life, so why not?

But this is insane.

It's not about governing the rules of a sport - this is assault causing Grievous Bodily Harm.

Who the h*ll thinks this has a place in rugby?

Life ban? My bottom. Lock him up (assuming the police can find out who it is) and throw the key away.

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes
But this is insane.
Life ban? My bottom. Lock him up (assuming the police can find out who it is) and throw the key away.

Imprisonment, of course, can follow, Paul.:clap:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I fear it's not new. I had people rummaging around my eye sockets at Taunton in the early 1980's. They were deeply affronted that a winger was to be found in a ruck; the sanction for this offence was a finger in the mouth pulling the cheek back towards the ear, and another finger in the eye while the flanker concerned explained the more dire consequences of future offences - mainly having to do with restricted procreation possibilities.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
good old days, hey Dixie :p

Emmet Murphy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Why should there be a life ban at grassroots level for something that some elite referees (by that I mean Bryce Lawrence) regard as a yellow card offence in an international?

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
because it's a vile act that has no space in civilised society.

accidental contact is one thing, a concerted effort to damage the eye is another.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I fear it's not new. I had people rummaging around my eye sockets at Taunton in the early 1980's. They were deeply affronted that a winger was to be found in a ruck; the sanction for this offence was a finger in the mouth pulling the cheek back towards the ear, and another finger in the eye while the flanker concerned explained the more dire consequences of future offences - mainly having to do with restricted procreation possibilities.

Like Dixie I experienced the mouth pull and testicular squeeze warning a number of times in the 80s, and once had a finger in the eye socket (somewhere west of Plymouth) from a flanker that got fed up being made a bit silly by a will o'the wisp scrum half

It is cowardly, and totally against the ethos and culture of rugby - those who do it at whatever level, should be banned for lengthy periods, and be subject to police action if the evidence is strong enough.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
the sanction for this offence was a finger in the mouth pulling the cheek back towards the ear...
In Dickie's* personal film collection, this is what's known as a "Fish Hook".

SimonThomas said:
Like Dixie I experienced the mouth pull and testicular squeeze warning a number of times in the 80s
Ahh yes, Volume II of Dickie's collection - Fish Hook with added reach-around. You have to pay good money to get that these days.

Seriously, this is rediculous. I'm going to make the assumption that NONE of these actions are deliberately coached, so it begs the question why players take that sort of action in a game. There's pulling opponents back, holding them down a little longer than allowed, but this is a stretch!

*Dickie, I'm sorry if I'm now stereotyping you as the cheeky Australian with the love for filth, I'm not being serious, honest!

Emmet Murphy

Referees in England
Post Likes
because it's a vile act that has no space in civilised society.

accidental contact is one thing, a concerted effort to damage the eye is another.

Whenever a player has been caught doing it, it's always an accident. Has any player ever admitted to doing it deliberately? These 'accidents' will only stop when it is dealt with firmly at all levels of the game. We've recently seen a relatively high-profile player get a lengthy ban which is a start. But it is just that - a start.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
*Dickie, I'm sorry if I'm now stereotyping you as the cheeky Australian with the love for filth, I'm not being serious, honest!

why?..don't apologise I think it's pretty much true. I think that's why Mr R Burns moved down under anyway?:biggrin:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

I resemble that accusation :love:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
mainly having to do with restricted procreation possibilities.

maybe more to do with taste in gay icons :wink:

Last edited: