Faking the lineout jump

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just putting this out there.
Why is it the lineout jumpers can baulk a jump...but the thrower cannot baulk a throw?

So what do you do when the opp jumps to cause the thrower to baulk his throw? FK the jumper or the thrower?

you know the answer : manage it ! :)

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Given a jumper should only jump after the ball has left the thrower, any jump that makes the thrower stop is early!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Exactly.

You stay on the ground till the ball's thrown.
You throw the ball in quicker.

Now lets get on and play some rugby.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
YOU(eyeball jumper) stay on the ground till the ball's thrown.
YOU(eyeball thrower) throw the ball in quicker.
(quietly) 'every damn game we go through this, sigh'

Tell everyone what you expect as above. FK once and all will probably stop doing it, they will all understand.

I AM looking for reasons to not blow the whistle (as often) -this is one of the ways of achieving it, this is also called 'managing it'. A better line-out will result but you will not get any credit for this, of course.

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
this is also called 'managing it'.

chinese fire drill => fake jump => opposition going early => throw not straight.

Whistle. "Gents, let's try this again, only properly this time". Never failed me yet.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
chinese fire drill => fake jump => opposition going early => throw not straight.

Whistle. "Gents, let's try this again, only properly this time". Never failed me yet.

Although i dont disagree - used that myself - but invariably you get this.

Coach (take your pick which): "cmon ref...this is not under 12s! They dont get another go!!!"

:knuppel2:

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes
Although i dont disagree - used that myself - but invariably you get this.

Coach (take your pick which): "cmon ref...this is not under 12s! They dont get another go!!!"

:knuppel2:

Then penalise the complaining coaches side for whatever their offence was :biggrin:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
the other answer is "at under 12s I doubt they get a real ref, just you [ie the coach] with a whistle"

Not intended to be a slur at anybody that coaches and almost by definition therefore refs U12s!

didds

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
You have to be on VERY solid ground before you use sarcasm or humour, players just love to send it back to you later in the game (and that can be fun for everyone). It can work in obvious mess-ups or with players you know well -or you are a natural comedian, but is that how you want the players to think of you in this role?

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
NB. Early jumpers nearly always affect the subsequent throw; decide if it was material, proceed from there.

Opposition front jumpers tend to force an change in length/trajectory of throw, own team jump early may just be over-excitement or dummying opposition; decide if it was material, proceed from there.

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
... and decide whether it was actually a jump of course...

didds