Fillol spit, Bath v Stade Francais

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
If you haven't seen it, Jerome Fillol spat in Stringer's face today, Bath v Stade Francais.

Match officials missed it. No complaints there but what should happen Fillol?

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
citing, followed by a very long ban (hopefully).

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If the ref sees it, red card IMO.

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
If the ref sees it, red card IMO.
Definite RC.
I'm also of the feeling that I'd be quite prepared to turn a bit of a blind eye to some on field justice. I think he should be banned and fined heavily.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
If you haven't seen it, Jerome Fillol spat in Stringer's face today, Bath v Stade Francais.

Match officials missed it. No complaints there but what should happen Fillol?

Cited, Banned & then a Free Transfer to Paris St Germain !

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Definite RC.
I'm also of the feeling that I'd be quite prepared to turn a bit of a blind eye to some on field justice. I think he should be banned and fined heavily.
Bad shit! Never allow retribution - you lose both authority and control.

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Bad shit! Never allow retribution - you lose both authority and control.

Of course not.
But. If it had kicked off right there and that little shit got a smack, I'd be lenient with the lad that got him. Once play goes on you can't tolerate any form of retribution.
This would all be based on seeing it in the first place.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Rugby Dump clip of the Incident available.
Saint Nige's usual cop out of of "I can only deal with what I see", I thought the TMO was now allowed for incidents of foul play. Is that not true for this competition?

Okay about the card. Not sure I agree with the idea of a lenghty ban. I'm not trying to condone the Frenchman's behaviour, just that compared to cynical acts that frequently end a players' careers, spitting is hardly on the same register at all.

Last edited:

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
There is NO place for that kind of behaviour.
However did you hear Nigel Owens. Oh God! Comment when he had been sprinting up and down the pitch and thwack. Ball back down the other end again...
Nigel Owens always makes me chuckle.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
He plays for a french team, 2 weeks ban at tops ;)

Mat 04

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Anyone else unable to see the actual saliva from the video?

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Anyone else unable to see the actual saliva from the video?

I can't actually see any salvia. What I did see was the blue #9 punch him on the ear. Years ago a good punch up would have solved this and no-one would mind.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Brett Gosper, CEO of the International Rugby Board (IRB) Tweeted: "Spitting on Stringer should be punished to the full extent of the law. #NotRugby"

Shut up Brett. Let the independent citing officer and independent tribunal deal with the incident without having political interference. This clown is clearly not up to the role of CEO of the IRB.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
And what makes you think IRB actually look at twitter to be influenced?

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
A person in Brett's role should not be making any comments on issues that are, or are very likely to be sub judice. Here he has indicated that not only should he be cited but that he is guilty and that he should be severely punished.

He has taken upon himself to indicate to the independent citing officer what he should do, to the independent judicial panel what finding they should make, and to that same panel the appropriate sentence they should hand down. He has no business doing any of this and it is totally unacceptable.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Fair enough if that's your opinion. Yet if they're independent as they claim then they won't give a toss what Gosper says. I'm not a twitter follower so don't really care...but I think it's quite refreshing and valuable that a high ranking official can give an opinion of what he thinks. I don't read into it him saying 'if you don't do this then IRB will do that' so I don't see it as an influential statement. I hate seeing CEOs give false opinions or read fixed statements just to keep the politics. Sometimes it's good to know what they really think on issues such as these and to know they're actually inline with most sensible thinking people.

BTW - how can anyone be sure that this was the 'real' Gosper?? How to you validate their true ID simply from an electronic tag? (I'm really Elvis...honest!)

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
This is his official Twitter account, so unless we have been taken in by an imposter for over a year I'd say it's him.

As for whether his comments will influence or not, I am not so sure. Perhaps not in a case like this which appears to be reasonably clear cut, but in close cases (ie Ma'a Nonu's shoulder charge) I can see a comment from a CEO as perhaps tipping the decision whether to cite or not. I can certainly recall Greg Peters (CEO of SANZAR) being interviewed about cases in the judiciary (comparing the SANZAR and the NH one) and he flatly refused to comment because it was inappropriate.

I do know that every player appearing before the judiciary should have the absolute right to a fair hearing, and it is good practice to let the judiciary just get on with it. This is the way it is done in all matters criminal - a PM or a Justice Minister commenting on a case that is before the courts would probably have to resign. The IRB isn't a country, but there should still rightly be appropriate separation between politicians and the judiciary.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Hadn't really thought of the issue of spiting as being "foul play" until the "incident" with Tom Croft and 1/2p in the last Wal v Eng game and then 2 weeks ago i had a player "loose it" and get up in the face of a player his team mates pulled him away and then he spat towards the player, I binned him just to give him 10 mins to calm down and i have to admit the spitting was the bit that got him the card. SHould it have been red :chin:

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Hi BFG,
I think your choice was right. If a punch is Red Card, then to my way of thinking, your showing Yellow for spitting, underlines that it's unacceptable behaviour, without the drama of TV rugby where they feel obliged to take the moral high ground over the slightest thing.
His team mates will give him enough grief for the 10 minutes that he be unlikely to do it again.

Stringer called him (frenchbloke) "...a 'king animal" to the ref, surely that too is unacceptable?

Menace may have a point ; I mean how can we be even sure it genuinely was Peter Stringer who was spat on in any case.

Since some of his former team mates have suggested it cannot not be "Strings" who plays for Bath :holysheep:

Last edited: