Fillol spit, Bath v Stade Francais

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Spitting at someone is classed as assault in many countries a punch is also classed as assault ergo same punishment.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Spitting at someone is classed as assault in many countries a punch is also classed as assault ergo same punishment.

Alas not so clear cut. There are differnet types of punch different types of spitting.

IF a player spits on the floor and a player he hasn't seen walks into the path of it is that a red card?

A punch from the blindside that knocks a bloke out red card. Two blokes having a disagreement and handbags/punch follows maybe talking to through to Red card?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
This is his official Twitter account, so unless we have been taken in by an imposter for over a year I'd say it's him.

As for whether his comments will influence or not, I am not so sure. Perhaps not in a case like this which appears to be reasonably clear cut, but in close cases (ie Ma'a Nonu's shoulder charge) I can see a comment from a CEO as perhaps tipping the decision whether to cite or not. I can certainly recall Greg Peters (CEO of SANZAR) being interviewed about cases in the judiciary (comparing the SANZAR and the NH one) and he flatly refused to comment because it was inappropriate.

I do know that every player appearing before the judiciary should have the absolute right to a fair hearing, and it is good practice to let the judiciary just get on with it. This is the way it is done in all matters criminal - a PM or a Justice Minister commenting on a case that is before the courts would probably have to resign. The IRB isn't a country, but there should still rightly be appropriate separation between politicians and the judiciary.
I strongly agree. It is totally inappropriate for the CEO to be making such statements. "Justice should not only be done, but be manifestly seen to be done." Having apparent pressure from the CEO runs counter to that sound maxim.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
He spat at the guy. Ref and or assistants didn't see it. I'm sure the citing committee will make a judgment either way.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I agree that it is totally inappropriate for the CEO of the IRB to tweeting on this issue. Keep your opinions to yourself at least until the independent citing committee and judicial panel have done their work. Enough trial by media in the world as it is.

As for the incident itself, personally I find spitting a far more disgusting offence than any form of punching, retaliatory or not. I guess that's just a personal opinion and I accept the damage that can be done by punching far outweighs what spitting does when you're on the receiving end. But it's just so flippin' disgusting, spitting at someone. Cowardly too.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I cannot take any CEO that twitters seriously, let alone one who makes a leading statement like that.

Social media is a proven minefield for in-appropriate corporate governance and left well alone by those with such responsibilties.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
This twitter that people mention has been the ruin of many people. Normally CEO's have minions who handle releases of such nature. I'm sure his press person is having kittens right now.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I agree that it is totally inappropriate for the CEO of the IRB to tweeting on this issue. Keep your opinions to yourself at least until the independent citing committee and judicial panel have done their work. Enough trial by media in the world as it is.

As for the incident itself, personally I find spitting a far more disgusting offence than any form of punching, retaliatory or not. I guess that's just a personal opinion and I accept the damage that can be done by punching far outweighs what spitting does when you're on the receiving end. But it's just so flippin' disgusting, spitting at someone. Cowardly too.

Perhaps Gosper was so incensed too about the foul and demeaning act that he felt compelled to make a comment. Big deal that he's the CEO.:shrug:

I cannot take any CEO that twitters seriously, let alone one who makes a leading statement like that.

Social media is a proven minefield for in-appropriate corporate governance and left well alone by those with such responsibilties.

Equally I couldn't take any independent judiciary seriously for reading any crap they read on twitter and then act on it!:buttkick::buttkick:

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Gosper should not have tweeted on specifics. If asked about spitting / Spear tackles etc in general then offer a view but not on a potential case to come before the judiciary. That said having read his tweets etc in the past, I'm not surprised he has put his foot in it.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Perhaps Gosper was so incensed too about the foul and demeaning act that he felt compelled to make a comment. Big deal that he's the CEO.:shrug:
Yes, it is a big deal. He is in charge of running the IRB, so the citing officers etc are in some real sense workiong for him. The judicial system needs to be seen as independent, and this looks like pressure to give a particluar decision. It is totally unacceptable.
Equally I couldn't take any independent judiciary seriously for reading any crap they read on twitter and then act on it!:buttkick::buttkick:
I see that as a naive view of irresponsible comments from one's boss. Where is the independence in the eyes of the world when the boss makes that sort of comment?

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes

Personally, I expect discretion, caution, wise counsel and full media awareness of anyone in a senior management/VP/board position in a multinational organisation.

I guess that's too many words for anyone in Aus :ireland:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

OB and IrishRef took the words out of my mouth.

A CEO has responsibilities, is accountable, and cannot be seen to be leading an independent judiciary.

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Big deal that he's the CEO.:shrug:
You are not thinking straight. Imagine it was you on a charge of defrauding the taxman. You have seen the investigators are waiting to see whether you'll be charged with a criminal offence. You then note that the head of the Aussie judiciary has tweeted that Menace is clearly guilty and the presiding judges should throw away the key when they sentence you.

Now, you know that those judges report to the head of the judiciary. You know that their continued employment in the field is, to some extent, in the hands of the guy who has pronounced you guilty before you've even been charged. Would you expect your lawyer to point out that your right to a fair trial has been compromised? Or if he just shrugged and said "big deal", would you feel that you were getting value for your judicial dollar - and perhaps sack him for incompetence?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Hadn't really thought of the issue of spiting as being "foul play" until the "incident" with Tom Croft and 1/2p in the last Wal v Eng game and then 2 weeks ago i had a player "loose it" and get up in the face of a player his team mates pulled him away and then he spat towards the player, I binned him just to give him 10 mins to calm down and i have to admit the spitting was the bit that got him the card. SHould it have been red :chin:

IMO
spat towards him = swung at him
& Spat in his face = punched him on nose
i'd probably need a moment to collect my thoughts to get to this decision though.

Q? Does NO have the ability to refer for a foul play allegation? because if he does & didn't then he's treating it as insignificant.

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Q? Does NO have the ability to refer for a foul play allegation? because if he does & didn't then he's treating it as insignificant.

No Nigel couldn't go to TMO. Only for try yes or no? / Any reason I can not award a try?

Eng Division 1 (Premiership) and Super Rugby are the ones trialing the new system at the moment.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Well I am pleased I am not the only one who thought the Tweet was off.

As for the sanction, I would say 3 weeks would be about right. Let's not go overboard in a display of moral rectitude. I daresay he will get much more than that.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
No Nigel couldn't go to TMO. Only for try yes or no? / Any reason I can not award a try?

Eng Division 1 (Premiership) and Super Rugby are the ones trialing the new system at the moment.

Thanks, get confused by who's trialling what & where etc .....

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
IMO
spat towards him = swung at him
& Spat in his face = punched him on nose
i'd probably need a moment to collect my thoughts to get to this decision though.

100% with you on your annalagy