First Red Card Today

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
10 years reffing, today was my first red card, and exactly as the wiser heads predicted, you know straight away when its a red!

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi Toby
Am I allowed to talk about it before the hearing?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
yes, ........ avoid names/club identification etc ....... just the scenario should be fine

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
It was a coach (from an excellent and well regarded club) who came onto the pitch and incited his players. He was then a tad aggressive in the clubhouse. I understand the RFU gave him a six week touchline ban and warned the club if there was a repeat of this behaviour within 12 months there would be other sanctions (there won't be any repeat, it is a wonderful club)

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
10 years and no red cards?? What have you missed??? ;)

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Yep, that's right
TBH I didn't realise you could red card a coach. Ref Abuse yes, but Foul Play? :chin:

10.5 Sanctions
(a) Any player who infringes any part of the Foul Play Law must be admonished, or cautioned and temporarily suspended for a period of ten minutes’ playing time, or sent-off.
(b) A player who has been cautioned and temporarily suspended who then commits a second cautionable offence within the Foul Play Law must be sent-off.

10.6 Yellow and red cards(a) When a player has been cautioned and temporarily suspended in an International match the referee will show that player a yellow card.
(b) When a player has been sent off in an International match, the referee will show that player a red card.
(c) For other matches the Match Organiser or Union having jurisdiction over the match may decide upon the use of yellow and red cards.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
TBH I didn't realise you could red card a coach. Ref Abuse yes, but Foul Play? :chin:

If he is on the pitch I think you can, after all what is a RC if it's not an instruction to leave the pitch? the card makes that instruction unequivocal, and evident to everyone else.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Hmmm, I don't believe you can red card a coach. By all means send them away, but send off?

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's all about Mgmt isn't it?

What all agree is we can 'send them off' i.e. removing them from the game, the technical areas or send them to the club house if we need to. How that actually happens i.e. by telling them directly, explaining to the captain that the coach needs to go before the game restarts or using a red card doesn't really matter does it?

Personally I wouldn't use the red card but if a ref does don't think it's the end of the world.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
isn't that a distinction without a difference?
But red cards carry consequences eg a report has to be submitted, we have to stipulate which law/s have been broken etc.

If I was a smart arse defence team, the first thing I would argue is that the laws apply to players / teams .... And strictly speaking my client is neither. A technicality maybe, but why risk it. Personally, I would just bang in a Referee Abuse form.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
But red cards carry consequences eg a report has to be submitted, we have to stipulate which law/s have been broken etc.

If I was a smart arse defence team, the first thing I would argue is that the laws apply to players / teams .... And strictly speaking my client is neither. A technicality maybe, but why risk it. Personally, I would just bang in a Referee Abuse form.

hmm - if it got the to stage that I had to actually order a coach from the field during the game, I would expect to submit a report and that consequences to follow, whether or not I physically brandished a card

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Hmmm, I don't believe you can red card a coach. By all means send them away, but send off?

you can do what you like as a referee if you have a problem to solve, and I am not going to worry about the fine letter of the Laws as and when you have to deal with the Coach on the pitch. He has broken 6.A.4 by entering the pitch and most likely has a 10.4 of some form coming at him too.

If (and it is a big if, as other courses of action may be better) in management terms the best solution is to show a coach a red card as an effective communication, I would fully support any of our referees who did so.

But as far as the Disciplinary Committee are concerned they need to get a Referee Abuse form NOT a dismissal form.

Last edited: