[Law] Folau’s online comments have taken a turn for the worse.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
No, the closest islamic equivalent of Crusader is not Saracen it's Jihadi

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
he got 8M + an apology ?

not the open and shut case then...

IF is not the winner, RA is not the winner. Both are victims of their own stupidity.

The lawyers are somewhat winners on both sides.

The biggest winner is freedom. And, it's gonna be hard for many on this site to believe, the LGBT+ are the winners also. Free speech is their greatest method and silencing someone else's speech will only diminish their own.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
@Dickie - lmao. It's not meant as an insult. It's just what we're called. Unless it's a Dundee FC fan. They call us DABs - Dirty Arab illegitimate Sons. We don't care though, they're the wee team who're jealous hehehe.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
No, the closest islamic equivalent of Crusader is not Saracen it's Jihadi
Nobody used the f—-ing expression Jihadi back in : 1095 – 1492.
Mainly because they didn’t speak much Arabic on our side.
Also the enemy never called the Europeans Crusaders, they called them Franks or infidels.

The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there. Like insulting their enemies. Saracens was an ethnic slur, whether you accept the fact or not. And the Crusaders faced off against Saracens back then. To suggest otherwise is revisionism. When my Great Grandfather fought in Egypt and the Sudan, they insulted the Mohammedans with the term Fuzzy-Wuzzy of the Nile. (Despite this attempt to dehumanise the enemy, the Sudanese begrudgingly won respect as a formidable enemy.)

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Nobody used the f—-ing expression Jihadi back in : 1095 – 1492.
Mainly because they didn’t speak much Arabic on our side.
Also the enemy never called the Europeans Crusaders, they called them Franks or infidels.

The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there. Like insulting their enemies. Saracens was an ethnic slur, whether you accept the fact or not. And the Crusaders faced off against Saracens back then. To suggest otherwise is revisionism. When my Great Grandfather fought in Egypt and the Sudan, they insulted the Mohammedans with the term Fuzzy-Wuzzy of the Nile. (Despite this attempt to dehumanise the enemy, the Sudanese begrudgingly won respect as a formidable enemy.)

My Great Grandfather did likewise 1896-1899 then got carted off to fight in South Africa.

The past is a foreign country however not long ago (relatively) Fighting the Fuzzy-Wuzzy - Days and Nights of Service With Sir Gerald Graham's Field Force at Suakin by E. A. De Cosson was still being published in 1990!!???

You can still get it on Amazon.

fuzzy.jpg

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Mine was in Egypt 1882 and Sudan 1885. His company get not infrequent mention, in Count Gleichen’s “With the Camel Corps up the Nile”. Got married before Kitchener went back in 1898, so not present with the Grenadier Guards for that campaign.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Saracens was founded in 1876 which was a different country
..but even then I think the name was meant as tribute, not as an insult

(No one would choose that name nowadays)

Crusaders chose their name in 1996...

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
When I hear "Saracens is meant as a compliment/tribute" I am reminded of the owner of the local NFL team insisting that there ain't nuthin wrong with callin the team Redskins

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
My Great Grandfather did likewise 1896-1899 then got carted off to fight in South Africa.

The past is a foreign country however not long ago (relatively) Fighting the Fuzzy-Wuzzy - Days and Nights of Service With Sir Gerald Graham's Field Force at Suakin by E. A. De Cosson was still being published in 1990!!???

You can still get it on Amazon.

View attachment 3952

They didnt like it up them Mr Mainwairing

joneshead.jpg

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
When I hear "Saracens is meant as a compliment/tribute" I am reminded of the owner of the local NFL team insisting that there ain't nuthin wrong with callin the team Redskins

its an interesting continuum. In 100 years:
Detroit Tigers - gone [feline appropriation]
Dallas Cowboys - gone [did you hear what they did to the Native Americans?]
Baltimore Orioles - gone [avian appropriation]
New York Giants - gone [body shaming - what were they thinking?]
Miami Marlins - gone [piscine appropriation]
Chicago Cubs - gone [bit too close to pedo stuff]
Milwaukee Brewers - gone [alcohol worshipping]
Pittsburgh Pirates - gone [FFS how can piracy be honoured?]

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes

Henceforth all clubs to be nicknamed the "Gretas"

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Saracens was founded in 1876 which was a different country
..but even then I think the name was meant as tribute, not as an insult

(No one would choose that name nowadays)

Crusaders chose their name in 1996...
By which time the Crescent and star had become an Islamic symbol. Read the club history about the origins.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Washington Redskins - still here. Because Dan Snyder has sold his soul to Satan and will live forever, and he will never relinquish the team or the name.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Washington Redskins - still here. Because Dan Snyder has sold his soul to Satan and will live forever, and he will never relinquish the team or the name.
But at the same time, I suspect Native Americans aren’t so politically correct and would be proud to play for the Redskins if they had the opportunity. Political correctness doesn’t help those in the lower rungs of society. It only allows those who employ it feel better about doing nothing about the status quo of the situation.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Yeah, name changes like this will have to come from the top. One area high school changed from Redskins to Titans in 2001 when the district forced it through. I wouldn't be surprised if some in the area still felt resentment, given that this website still exists regarding a more famous racist mascot from the area.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yeah, name changes like this will have to come from the top. One area high school changed from Redskins to Titans in 2001 when the district forced it through. I wouldn't be surprised if some in the area still felt resentment, given that this website still exists regarding a more famous racist mascot from the area.

we currently refer to our friends across the Tasman Sea as "kiwis". I wonder if one day someone will decide that this is racist/offensive/hate speech [insert pejorative of your choice] and us 2019 oiks will be comdemned by history. :shrug:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
But at the same time, I suspect Native Americans aren’t so politically correct and would be proud to play for the Redskins if they had the opportunity. Political correctness doesn’t help those in the lower rungs of society. It only allows those who employ it feel better about doing nothing about the status quo of the situation.
Wrongity wrong. The Patawomeck friends I have hate the name. There is a NA campaign to get it changed, in the same way that the Indian Head Highway got its name changed recently.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Wrongity wrong. The Patawomeck friends I have hate the name. There is a NA campaign to get it changed, in the same way that the Indian Head Highway got its name changed recently.

what is the name of the new highway that links Forest Heights to Indian Head?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Good catch. I thought they'd done that one.
Negro Mountain got changed. And that was considered the polite name.

Damn. Now I can't remember which NA name did get changed.

I don't go to Maryland often - it's a shithole State. But the road name is a quick way of working who's an old school racist and who isn't. Those who call it 210 will be on the right side of history.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
The Folau saga continues

[LAWS]A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.... Sacked Australia rugby union international Israel Folau has made a switch back to rugby league with a move to Super League club Catalans Dragons.[/LAWS]

:france: The liberal French tired of Paddy Jackson fairly quickly. With a bit of luck they won’t put up with this edjit for long either. In a statement from the French club:
Bernard Guasch, President of the Catalan Dragons, said:
"We want to give Israel a new opportunity to shine on the field. We do not endorse or agree with Israel’s words based on his sincere religious belief. We do not share or tolerate his opinions and we are totally committed to making our club and our sport open and welcoming to everyone. We think that these kind of remarks should not be expressed publicly, in particular not by a top sportsman.

We have an agreement signed with the RFL. Any violation will result in the immediate termination of Israel's contract and a substantial fine for the club. "

Last edited: