foward pass / TMO

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Chopper could have been a TMO - TMOs are necessarily somewhat choppereseque, having to make precise positinal/directional judgements , and pay close attention to the exact meaning of the Law.
Not always. For example he argued that a conversion that went too high did not pass "between" the posts.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Not always. For example he argued that a conversion that went too high did not pass "between" the posts.
Well nowadays we have a Law explicitly to address that scenario, a Law which acknowledges that above is not between

.. so chopper had a point

If the ball goes over the crossbar and over the height of the goal posts, the kick is successful if it is deemed that the ball would have gone between the goal posts had they been taller.

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Well nowadays we have a Law explicitly to address that scenario, a Law which acknowledges that above is not between

.. so chopper had a point

Even in the nineteenth century it was accepted that a "poster" was a legal goal. Chopper was unncessarily pedantic about current application of the laws. I have often pointed out that the so-called laws are not written to full legal standards (just as well - they would be virtually unreadable for onrdinary participants).

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Even in the nineteenth century it was accepted that a "poster" was a legal goal. Chopper was unncessarily pedantic about current application of the laws. I have often pointed out that the so-called laws are not written to full legal standards (just as well - they would be virtually unreadable for onrdinary participants).
yes, but it's interesting that WR thought it was an ambiguity that needed clearing up. It must have been added in the 2017 rewrite I guess, though I don't recall noticing it

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Chrissakes, that would have been a nightmare back in the day. There were some sets of goalposts in the 1960's and 1970's, especially in schools, where the posts only protruded about a yard above the crossbar!

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was there! Short uprights nailed onto the soccer goal posts. It was a great day when we got "real" rugby posts -even though none of us could kick the ball anywhere near that high.