Glos v saints

JohnP

Post Likes
Poor from ref at end of game offside at kick off ball out of scrum before he awarded penalty not clever. Good kick from twelvetrees. Thoughts?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
earlier this week JP Doyle gave a very amusing talk at the LSRFUR, one of his running jokes was about refereeing restarts ... you never make a match-turning critical error on a restart ....

until today!

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
These things happen week in week out, put the game away earlier and don't rely on one man to get it right 100% of the time. Shame for Saints but another team will be on the receiving end benefitting them another week

iansimcox

Post Likes
Horrible end to the game and I'm sure Mr Fox will be looking the replays of both the kickoff and the scrum and wondering how he managed to miss the offside and the ball coming out of the scrum.

The biggest question for me is, what else has the ref to look at on kickoffs than offside? I could accept him missing the offside if there is something else important for him to look at, but I really can't think of a single other thing that he could have been looking for.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
The biggest question for me is, what else has the ref to look at on kickoffs than offside? I could accept him missing the offside if there is something else important for him to look at, but I really can't think of a single other thing that he could have been looking for.

It's a lot of players all to have in your peripheral vision at once. It's very possible to focus on whether that guy was offside and decide he was just okay, and in so doing not notice that this guy a way away from him was two steps over the line.

iansimcox

Post Likes
Fair enough. I guess even with the three officials all looking at offside there is always a small chance they might miss someone so far off, and this unfortunately was one of those times.

It's one of those where I wish that the video ref could signal down to the onfield ref. Much like offside in football, the camera gives a better perspective than ground level and it was clear on the telly and to the commentators (again, in an elevated position) that they were miles off.

Skids

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
If the decisions, or lack of them, had not affected the result so completely, there would be little to talk about but they did.

And in front of a tv audience too.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Fair enough. I guess even with the three officials all looking at offside there is always a small chance they might miss someone so far off, and this unfortunately was one of those times.
You don't want all three officials looking at the same thing. They have different responsibilities.

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
image.jpg

Oh dear. Looking straight at them. 3 metres in front.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Where did the ball land?, did any of the offside players interfere with Saints ability to claim or return possession .......... sorry, I didn't see the match

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Oh dear. Looking straight at them. 3 metres in front.
From that picture I cannot make out the ball, nor where the ref is looking.

Having reviewed the video, I agree they were offside, but that picture does not demonstrate it.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes it was material as the offside players arrived with the ball, putting the Northampton catcher under pressure.

Biropen

Post Likes
Yes it was material and yes it was clear and obvious.

The one person who came out of this with honour was Jim Mallinder. He was clearly angry and frustrated but rather than rant at the referee he accepted the position philosophically and moved on.

Well done that coach!!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Where did the ball land?, did any of the offside players interfere with Saints ability to claim or return possession .......... sorry, I didn't see the match
And this is a great question. The offside players were within the 15m channel, and the ball went central. Dallaglio claimed that it should have been a cast-iron penalty for the offside - perhaps BCM666 can persuade him of the value of a refereeing course when he next sees him. But the offside players were quicker to the breakdown than they'd otherwise be - and as the kicking team won a scrum from which the incorrect penalty came, I think you can make a case for material intervention. Much easier with the benefit of hindsight, of course.

I felt for Martin Fox in this game. He was only drafted inrelatively late due to injury to Greg Garner, and it didn't look like he'd done his homework. Scrums were a mess (as they were much of the weekend at other games too). By this stage in a difficult match which he struggled with, I imagine he was looking forward to a beer.

Not Straight

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Hmm. I dont think Martin Fox penalised the 9 for offside at the base of the scrum. To me he was looking at the front rows and penalised Saints binding...

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Hmm. I dont think Martin Fox penalised the 9 for offside at the base of the scrum. To me he was looking at the front rows and penalised Saints binding...

I watched the highlights of this on the BBC? the other night and the restart was edited out. I thought PK was for green #9 offside TBH but wasn't paying a lot of attention.

What I did notice was that even with CBSY9 Dylan Hartley still manages to stand up in the scrum.:biggrin:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i thought the PK was against green #9.

but he was foolish
- the ball came out
- he went for the ball
- the glos #8 returned it to the scrum
- the green SH retreared -- effectively admitting to an error

he should have gone for the ball, shoudn't he?