Goal kicking

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I think the telling figures are tries vs "1st tier" countries, Arg and SA... no tries. Honestly, while I would like to see tries, I don't have an issue with winning a test match entirely from kicks.

My issue is that the scrum has become a means to get a penalty rather than a means to restart the game... SA electing to scrum after calling a mark (vs France) is the most clear example of this.
100% agree Stu.
But thats an entire thread of its own as to why we have ended up at the elite ;level with scrums used as penalty machines rathjer than a means to restart the game with a mild amount of benefit to the contest for the ball.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
100% agree Stu.
But thats an entire thread of its own as to why we have ended up at the elite ;level with scrums used as penalty machines rathjer than a means to restart the game with a mild amount of benefit to the contest for the ball.
Plus it's starting to infect the grass roots game... They are increasingly after scrum penalties (which in turn makes me think other refs must be giving more of them than I do)

Last edited:

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Plus it's starting to infect the grass roots game... They are increasingly after scrum penalties (which in turn makes me think other refs must be giving more of them than I do)
During the pre-match briefing I have often been asked by the forwards at the U18 and U16 level “what do you award scrum penalties for?” (For brevity I normally just state “as per the laws” as I want to get on with the game not debate finer points of law, that’s for afterwards).

I always assumed it was due to a perceived grievance from the previous match. Now, I’m not so sure.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
During the pre-match briefing I have often been asked by the forwards at the U18 and U16 level “what do you award scrum penalties for?” (For brevity I normally just state “as per the laws” .
I am more like ... we're not here for scrum PKs are we lads? Let's focus on getting good clean ball and playing it away ... And perhaps a game of rugby might break out

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
We haven't heard much from @shebeen in the last few days... He is normally here to review the ref performance after a springbok game :)
Nothing to add really. Sour grapes turn into a whine.

Happy to debate the actual penalty however.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sour grapes turn into a whine
I was sad that we lost at the death. But the right team won, SA have been my team of the tournament and there is no way we would have troubled the ABs in the final had we sneaked it

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
One way in which grass roots rugby is more fun than international rugby is that they don't take so many PK at goal (because they are much worse at it)

My game last week featured 8 tries and 7 conversion and not a single attempt at a PK .. not untypical
This week , four tries one conversion (it was windy) and one PK shot at goal (missed, ditto)

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
This week , four tries one conversion (it was windy) and one PK shot at goal (missed, ditto)
In the two games i had this weekend that weren’t blowouts
2 tries, 1 con (other charged down), 1 penalty
1 unconverted try, 2/4 from penalties

1 missed penalty
3 tries, 1 converted, 2/4 penalties