[Law] Hand offs

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Starting to hear whispers about a new directive from World Rugby about hand offs to the head/face. North Mids are saying on their Facebook page that they are to be prohibited but there is no official source for this other than it was mentioned at a recent society meeting. This is what they have to say (their spelling errors, not mine): Hand offs to the face/head are now illegal at all levels. Dealing with this instruction needs empathy. Tell them pre match and if it occurs penalise empathetically initially [scrum, free kick]It should be pealised by a penalty.Give them a chance to adapt.

Has anyone had this officially confirmed?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If a tackler is coming at you for a classic low tackle ie head down, just how are you supposed to hand him off without putting a hand on his head?

Years ago watching Tikoisuva playing for Fiji against an East Midlands team, I saw him put a hand on the would-be tackler's head to use it as a sort of pivot. He was able to run wide with his legs while leaning on the opponent. The outcome was that the opponent could not reach his legs for the tackle, and ended up flat on his face while Tikoisuva disappeared into the distance.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Haven't heard that, and it would disturb me greatly if it were to become fact

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Hands off to the face risks an accidental finger in the eye.
Hands off to the top of someones head doesn't.
But other than stating a hand off must not be dangerous I am not sure how to draft a law that would prohibit one but permit the other.

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Starting to hear whispers about a new directive from World Rugby about hand offs to the head/face. North Mids are saying on their Facebook page that they are to be prohibited but there is no official source for this other than it was mentioned at a recent society meeting. This is what they have to say (their spelling errors, not mine): Hand offs to the face/head are now illegal at all levels. Dealing with this instruction needs empathy. Tell them pre match and if it occurs penalise empathetically initially [scrum, free kick]It should be pealised by a penalty.Give them a chance to adapt.

Has anyone had this officially confirmed?

Until it's official then its just a rumor or a misguided interpretation of the laws by a single society.

MadRef77

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Hi All

My first post here. Great forum I love it. :hap:

I don't allow handing off in the face because it feels dangerous and I think it provides a great basis for future escalations and retaliation... have I been wrong the whole time? :sad:

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi All

My first post here. Great forum I love it. :hap:

I don't allow handing off in the face because it feels dangerous and I think it provides a great basis for future escalations and retaliation... have I been wrong the whole time? :sad:

What age group are you reffing? It's illegal up until U16s.

That's not to say it'd definitely not illegal thereafter - if someone goes for a martial arts style palm to the nose, I'll treat that an offence - but it's not an automatic penalty.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Glad to see you on the forum.....but yes, you have been wrong the whole time (assuming we are talking about adults).

Colesy...looks like North Mid's are flying solo on this one, how can they justify it?

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
What age group are you reffing? It's illegal up until U16s.

That's not to say it'd definitely not illegal thereafter - if someone goes for a martial arts style palm to the nose, I'll treat that an offence - but it's not an automatic penalty.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!
That's no longer correct if you are refereeing in England!!

As of this season the New rules of play allow hand offs below the armpits for u12s (and upwards).

http://www.englandrugby.com/mm/Docu...Regulation15Appendix6U122016-2017_English.pdf

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Apologies, my bad - I read your post as "handoffs are illegal below u16s" not "handoffs to the head are illegal below u16s" !

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I thought it was global, but checking my lawbook it isn't there. I'll see if I can find the memo...

Apparently it's illegal for girls (so I just learnt, which is good as i'm reffin a game on Sunday!), but it's allowed from U13's upwards in the male game

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Apparently it's illegal for girls (so I just learnt, which is good as i'm reffin a game on Sunday!), but it's allowed from U13's upwards in the male game

Thanks - I found the girls memo, but nothing about boys (above U13). I'm sure an assessor picked me up on allowing it last season - but maybe that was a girls game.

Just as well I don't do many U16 games!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
anyone stating what is / isn't legal at age group levels needs to qualify that by stating what country they are referring to

- Worldrugby U19 Laws make no reference to hand-offs
- so all laws about hand-offs at age-grade level are being made locally. What's allowed in England will be different from Wales .. Scotland.. SA, Aus etc etc

Wedgie

Referees in England
Post Likes
http://www.englandrugby.com/governance/regulations/

U11s
8 The Tackle, Maul and Ruck
d) "Only the ball carrier can be tackled. The ball carrier can run anddodge potential tacklers but may not fend them off using their hands or the ball."

U12s
Key elements of the Under 12s Rules of Play includes "Introduction of the hand off below the armpits"

"14. Infringements:
b) The ball carrier may run and dodge potential tacklers but must not fend or hand them off above the armpits.
"

Boys specifically : U13s
Contains the same 14 b) statement

Boys specifically : U14s and U15s-U18s makes no mention of hand offs (and thus no mention of where hands may or may not be placed). Thus they are allowed. We make the call as to if they are dangerous or not.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Thanks - I found the girls memo, but nothing about boys (above U13). I'm sure an assessor picked me up on allowing it last season - but maybe that was a girls game.

Just as well I don't do many U16 games!

:wow: assessor not knowing the laws of the game :wow: