has to be seen to be believed....

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
What enjoyable reading. What level match was this, and what was the actual PK/YCs?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... frankly the most embarrassing display of refereeing I and many others have ever seen!! .... Examples of the disgrace in green include him giving Hampstead 39 penalties throughout the game and awarding Hertford 3!!
If it's correct, it sounds like a nightmare for somebody but which law says that PKs have to be divvied out equally? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Report it to the CB.

The club are responsible for the contents of their website.

If they want to publish this sort of thing then they are liable for the consequences.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
There seems to be some difference of opinion and perception.

I would suggest some "off the record" conversations to start with, and escalate to formal channels if necessary.

Davet

Post Likes
Simon - for me this is more than a difference of opinion, there are clear accusations of cheating by the ref.

Which is in itself a matter of slander (I am assuming that ex-lucy wasn't cheating :) ).

It is not hard, from the dates and game details given, to identify the ref.

The club are responsible for what they allow to be published on their site.

I would give them one chance to remove it and issue an apology, or -personally - they would be getting a letter from my solicitor inviting them to pay substantial damages for defamation.

Whilst the rugby community might prefer a softly softly approach so as not to scare the horses, if it were me I would be inclined to slap the horses with a big stick.

Legal note: Any views expressed above are my own and do not refelect that of any organisation with which I may be associated.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
read this and advise pls ....
factually incorrect about most facts ...

But is he right that you look more like Shrek than Jeremy Beadle?

Well, obviously it's a clear breach of every aspect of the Code. I'd start by asking the club to take it down; and if they don't act quickly escalate to the CB through your Society.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Make sure you take a screen shot just in case you need it as evidence.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
PS I should have said in my first reply that this clearly oversteps the mark

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
But is he right that you look more like Shrek than Jeremy Beadle? YES, or perhaps the Honey Monster ?
Well, obviously it's a clear breach of every aspect of the Code. YES :biggrin:

I'd start by asking the club to take it down; and if they don't act quickly escalate to the CB through your Society. Totally agree

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Simon - for me this is more than a difference of opinion, there are clear accusations of cheating by the ref. No tongue in cheek / sarcasm icon, which I should have placed ! If we had a match report, and it was reported to the Committee, we would have it taken down and require a letter of apology. A blog is different but still unacceptable as it is on an official club site - same reaction. if no action escalate to CB.

Which is in itself a matter of slander (I am assuming that ex-lucy wasn't cheating :) ).

It is not hard, from the dates and game details given, to identify the ref.

The club are responsible for what they allow to be published on their site. Exactly

I would give them one chance to remove it and issue an apology, or -personally - they would be getting a letter from my solicitor inviting them to pay substantial damages for defamation. I would hope you would consult the Society first

Whilst the rugby community might prefer a softly softly approach so as not to scare the horses, if it were me I would be inclined to slap the horses with a big stick. We will (and have) done our fair share of slapping in last few years

Legal note: Any views expressed above are my own and do not refelect that of any organisation with which I may be associated. :biggrin:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I had something similar in an u11's game "my boys" played in.

week after the game a report appeared on their website that let's say wasn't within the spirit of the game we play:nono:

Quick call to their club president (Father in law's golfing buddy) and hey ho it was gone within a couple of days:clap:

We now run a joint Ba Ba's sude with that club for end of season festivals and everyone is best of buddies:love:

Zulu_Bravo

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm surprised you have posted a link to it on here. It is a matter for your society; is there a problem within your society which means you have to get advice from a group of people who may be referees, many of whom you have never met? Some of the comments are quite serious but starting your own thread on a different forum isn't really the best way of dealing with it.

Zulu_Bravo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Legal note: Any views expressed above are my own and do not refelect that of any organisation with which I may be associated.

Do such 'disclaimers' actually carry any legal weight? There is something similar on the Hertford RFC forum

Davet

Post Likes
Yes, I believe they do.

They make it clear that I am posting my own views and not those of any organisation I am connected with.

Without it someone could claim I was expressing the views of say, Hampshire Society - since my details clearly show I am a member. With it, it is plain that these views are not necessarily those of the society, and no-one can pretend otherwise.

That's why similar often appear on the bottom of corporate emails.

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Whatever the report was has now been taken down, did anyone get a screenshot of it before they took it down?

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
i made a copy of the posts ... Society officials are on the case.
i have been invited to send in a abuse of official report.

for the record ... 5xYcs .. pk count i dont know ... high against blue and yes two were reversed because some blue players were screaming in my face ... after lots of warnings of this and that incl prematch brief.

ycs went like this ...
yellow card for no 4 @ 15:30
penalty was for not rolling away after tackle inside 5m of try line
yc was for repeat offence in 22m

yellow card for no 7 @ 15:34
penalty was for high tackle 2m out from try line

yellow card for no2 (captain) @ 17.44 of second half
penalty was for dissent, card for repeat dissent and 'go on then, send me off'.

yellow card for no 15 @ 26.32 of sec half
penalty was for late tackle using no arms.

yellow card for no 13 @ 37.27 of sec half
penalty was for a punch

could have been a lot worse ...
at about 16mins .. i bottled putting capt in the bin for in the side/ hands in/ off his feet at a ruck inside 5m ... "but I was on my feet"

and #4 ran into my back elbows out .... i got my cards out to send him off ... but gave him the benefit of the doubt and admonished him with penalty. didnt see or hear from him for the rest of the match.

classics:
"mark" from a kick off !
hands in.. 'but i'm on my feet' at a ruck ...
collapsing a maul .. 'but we are allowed to do that if we've got the ball'
lots of tap pks by both teams ... 'but you cant take the second tap quick'

it was quick and hard.
red card in prev match between 2 teams 3 weeks before.
cup semi final
first few tackles were massive collisions
so i refereed it tight and straight down the line.
e.g. from kick off man in front .. scrum down blue ball.
first scrum was reset 3 times ... to get it right.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Good man ex - lucy; nil desperandum carborundum. :clap:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
something i was thinking this morning - possibly the saddest part of this whole episode is that senior people within Hertford RFC (and by that i mean committee members) thought that the report was appropriate. if that had been on my club's website i would have taken a screen dump, removed the offending post and taken up with my club chairman. who would have backed me 100%, and taken necessary action against the posted.

for the record i haven't had to take anything down pertaining to referees - the last problematic one was describing an opposition u13 team as "hapless", which i thought a bit unnecessary :)

ex-lucy - i don't know if you've seen, but since the post was taken down there are other things up there which may also be considered out of order (a refusal to apologise for example). once again, seemingly condoned by Hertford. tossers.