Henson Sacked!!

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Hmmm - OK, but if Flybe planes can be endangered by someone chucking half a dozen ice cubes around the cabin I think I'll fly with an airline that has better planes.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Hmmm - OK, but if Flybe planes can be endangered by someone chucking half a dozen ice cubes around the cabin I think I'll fly with an airline that has better planes.

Dave, the CAA, FAA, the world's airlines and most governments' laws disagree with you !

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
so - what is he actually accused of doing?

Being rude, drunk and throwing some ice cubes

Was he on the same flight as the other players/management ?

depending on where people live and seat availability etc etc he may have been on a flight alone ?

And was this Cardiff RFC or the Blues? I was (in my sais ignorance) under the impression the two were separate teams/clubs/bodies?

Yes the team and management were on the same flight sitting in the same area.
Cardiff RFC Ltd run two wholy owned sides. The "Pro" Cardiff Blues side and the semi Pro Cardiff. The Cardiff Blues equate to the Cardiff RFC side that the likes of Gareth Edwards, Barry John, John Scott etc played for. The current Cardiff side equates to the Cardiff Athletic / Second team (The Rags) of old.

He is a 30 year old professional rugby international and "showbiz" celebrity - why on earth does he need a Manager to control his personal behaviour ?

If I was on a flight and a member of my staff started behaving inappropriately, I would deal with it and stop it before it became an issue to other passengers. There is no evidence that the Manager on duty did anything to "manage" the situation.

This is not to absolve Henson from his responsibilities, but, would you sit back and watch a member of your staff behave inappropriately (to the point you later sack them without letting them attend a hearing to put a case for their defence) without attempting to calm things down?

Davet

Post Likes
Dave, the CAA, FAA, the world's airlines and most governments' laws disagree with you !

Simon - fair enough, and I have no beef with someone behaving in a loutish manner being removed from the plane, or arrested and charged, etc.

But I think the airlines, CAA etc are guilty of being silly when they say that this is necessarily a safety isse - I cannot see half a dozen ice cubes on the floor as a reason for a plane to fall out of the sky. It may be dangerous to staff walking up and down the aisle, who could slip - though I have seen cabin staff misfield ice cubes themselves and not pick them up immediately.

I just think they wave the safety card a bit too readily, and use it as a justification for occasional high handed action. Folks need to be careful of crying "Wolf!" too easily.

But in the end, I don't really care if Hanson was hard done by or not - he is getting to be boringly predictab;le and clearly believes his own publicity.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Is there any credibility to the twitter rumor about Henson urinating on someone, or is that just fiction?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If I was on a flight and a member of my staff started behaving inappropriately, I would deal with it and stop it before it became an issue to other passengers. There is no evidence that the Manager on duty did anything to "manage" the situation.

This is not to absolve Henson from his responsibilities, but, would you sit back and watch a member of your staff behave inappropriately (to the point you later sack them without letting them attend a hearing to put a case for their defence) without attempting to calm things down?

I would not hire someone who gets drunk and behaves in public in such a manner in the first place. And I am not going to get into a confrontational situation in public with a drunk who is not (and cannot) behave rationally.

I am amazed that Cardiff do not have a code of conduct in place for their players - even some community level clubs do it.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Is there any credibility to the twitter rumor about Henson urinating on someone, or is that just fiction?

Not to my knowledge.

Please note that unlike the chap who upset cabin crew with some comments the airline did not seethe need to call the police.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I would not hire someone who gets drunk and behaves in public in such a manner in the first place. And I am not going to get into a confrontational situation in public with a drunk who is not (and cannot) behave rationally.

I am amazed that Cardiff do not have a code of conduct in place for their players - even some community level clubs do it.

I'd look to prevent it getting to that point. Be pro-active rather than re-active.

Why did the club let the players go out drinking after a Friday night game with a 7am flight? As said this does not excuse Henson but is bad management. Of course the club's accounts are overdue. No suggestion of burying them behind this bit of diversionary good fortune of course.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I would not hire someone who gets drunk and behaves in public in such a manner in the first place. And I am not going to get into a confrontational situation in public with a drunk who is unlikely to behave rationally.

How many time has he done that?

Davet

Post Likes
Why did the club let the players

Let them - they are adults. They can do what they want. Then take any consequences.

But if - in my own time - my boss said to me "You aren't allowed to go and have a drink", he might not like the answer, and frankly I don't see what he could do about it, he pays me for a job, he doesn't own me body and soul.

He might say, any one who behaves in a way that brings the company into disrepute will face disciplinary proceedings - but that would not include having a quiet pint.

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
- but that would not include having a quiet pint.

They were, apparently, out drinking until 5.00 am and then started drinking on the 7.00 am flight. Hardly what I'd call a quiet pint.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I dunno. I can drink to 5 am, in silence, if you keep the beer coming!

didds

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Let them - they are adults. They can do what they want. Then take any consequences.

But if - in my own time - my boss said to me "You aren't allowed to go and have a drink", he might not like the answer, and frankly I don't see what he could do about it, he pays me for a job, he doesn't own me body and soul.

He might say, any one who behaves in a way that brings the company into disrepute will face disciplinary proceedings - but that would not include having a quiet pint.

Wouldn't flying with a group of employees, your time and fares paid for by your employer whilst returning from a job require you to adopt company standards and give your boss the right expect a level of professionalism?
Now if you had finished a job in France and clocked off, paid your own way home in your own time and then behaved like a dickhead on the flight back then I would agree that your boss could have little say in the matter.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
So important a point you needed to make it twice?!

i note I am not the only person that appears to be (accidentally I am sure :) posting the same post twice ... dunno if that is a feature of any s/w upgrades that may have been made recently Simon?

Its gone form the very occasional to almost daily now over the last few days I have noted. ?? ST had a duplication yesterday or Monday IIRC...

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
.. and I also note I am unable to edit any of my posts unless it uis the final post on a thread any longer, so can't just blank the duplicate either...

didds

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.. and I also note I am unable to edit any of my posts unless it uis the final post on a thread any longer, so can't just blank the duplicate either...
I think the edit feature now only lasts for 30 minutes.