How appointements are done in your countries?

Loïc

Referees in Finland
Post Likes
Hello guys,

I am wondering how appointements work in your countries. Because I am webmaster of the main French Refereeing Rugby Site, I received several emails this summer from English guys (and Aussies too) asking me if it was possible to get a game during their stay in France.

Mainly because of insurance issues (and probably our appointment system) this is quite impossible.

To explain how it works here in France in few lines :

1- All referees have to be a member into a rugby club (except profesionnal refs who are directly "linked" to the FFR).

2- Subscribing a "ref licence" is managed by the club, and the ref licence cost is paid by the club (not necessary but very often).

3- Depending of the club level (Top14/Prod2/Federal 1/Federal 2 etc...) each club needs a number of refs (6 in Top14, 4 in Prod2 etc..). If they can't provide the required number of ref, they have financial penalty (Top14/ProD2) or they loose points (Non-profesionnal french leagues).

4- All appointements are done on FFR website for all refs. We have incoming appointements and previous appointements.
Appointements.jpg

5- Appointements are done by the FFR for TOP14/PROD2 and Federal Leagues (1/2/3). District Leagues (Honneur, Promotion d'honneur etc...) are done by Districts.

6- According to match number in the week end and the number of refs available, we usually know at least one week in advance our appointement for the next week end.

7- All appointements are paid (50€ for all non-Federal games. 75€ for Federal 2 and 3 games, 150 for Federal 1 games, 350€ in ProD2, 550€ in Top14).

That's how it works here in France. I'm quite curious to know how it is in your countries.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Good question.

As far as I'm aware, in the UK one can apply to the RFU -through one's Society - for insurance to officiate abroad.

I suppose there is often an assumption that if we are appointed a society in the country we are visiting then we are covered. We, as visiting referees, need to ensure that we are covered.

It's true that instances of injury are rare, but all it takes is one awkward tackle etc.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Loic, the English equivalent of the FFR is the RFU. That body only appoints referees to high-level games (Level 5 and better). At L.6 and perhaps 7, a federation of several neighbouring referee Societies will appoint referees with the potential to reach that exalted RFU level. Below that, individual referee societies appoint to levels 15 to 7.

The individual Societies are independent bodies. Most (perhaps all) affiliate to the RFU, but are not formally a part of it so far as I know. My own has only recently started charging for membership (a nominal fee - £10 per annum). Many Societies use some form of software programme to ask referees for their availability and appoint suitable referees to suitable games. The programme that is making most waves at the moment is called Who's The Ref - a web-based application with activity done primarily online, relieving the poor Appointments Secretary of much of the tedious work that traditionally goes with that role.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Loic, the English equivalent of the FFR is the RFU. That body only appoints referees to high-level games (Level 5 and better). At L.6 and perhaps 7, a federation of several neighbouring referee Societies will appoint referees with the potential to reach that exalted RFU level. Below that, individual referee societies appoint to levels 15 to 7.

The individual Societies are independent bodies. Most (perhaps all) affiliate to the RFU, but are not formally a part of it so far as I know. My own has only recently started charging for membership (a nominal fee - £10 per annum). Many Societies use some form of software programme to ask referees for their availability and appoint suitable referees to suitable games. The programme that is making most waves at the moment is called Who's The Ref - a web-based application with activity done primarily online, relieving the poor Appointments Secretary of much of the tedious work that traditionally goes with that role.

even that doesn't tell the whole story - as societies also only appoint matches down to a certain level - which would include all the organised leagues, and youth games from U17 upwards, sometime U16.

Below that level referee societies have limited interest and at U17 friendlies, most all U16 games, and pretty much all all U13-u15 games the referee is appointed by the home club - what we call a 'club-ref' , or by the home school - a 'school-ref'. Club refs around where I am sometimes also look after low-level adult games - 4th XV friendlies, the 'Blldogs' social team etc.

The system is lot more casual and ad hoc than in france.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I believe the home union of the visiting referee is still responsible for that referees insurance even when they are refereeing in a different country.

This is why you need permission of your home nation when you referee abroad.

It will be the home nation that tells the visited union how good you are, and what level of game they can give you. If that info is wrong, it is the hone union that could cop it.

So I see no reason why an officially sanctioned exchange to France can't be arranged?

As for how appointments are done. It's almost the same, except refs do not have to be club members. They are instead members of a society or association that covers games in their local area.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I believe the home union of the visiting referee is still responsible for that referees insurance even when they are refereeing in a different country.

This is why you need permission of your home nation when you referee abroad.

The permission to referee abroad (for RFU refs) will give you public liability during the game.
What it won't cover is the ref himself getting taken out and breaking a leg or such like.
In addition normal trip insurance won't cover you during the game, even if you are a ref rather than a player.