How NOT to market your rugby club.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
i really want to respond. But I find my inner NO overriding my usual sarcastic self

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Let me get this straight....the Student Union, who presumably represent every student' said the leaflet was "horrific and outdated" (correctly of course) yet calls its newspaper/publication "Beaver Online"?? :wtf:
Oh the irony! :rolleyes:

(The term 'beaver' isn't exactly a nice way to describe the v-jay-jay....so it's really a newspaper titled 'pussy on the website'?)

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
i really want to respond. But I find my inner NO overriding my usual sarcastic self

Looks like the fresher's were introduced to three hitherto unknown concepts ....!

1) University wit/sarc/irony/humour/banter

2) the humour bypass barometer of the sensitive brigade.

3) Politics

I'm wondering whether recruitment went well !?!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
" Beast-like women who play sport just so they can come out​ with us on Wednesdays, and don't let them tell you otherwise"

Really ?
Lol
Lol 2

womens-rugby.jpg

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Saw it in the Standard last night and despaired at the LSE Men's Rugby XV, the do-Goodyear complainers, but most of all the poor lasses who will no doubt be looking outside the University ranks for companionship and entertainment whilst in London.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
What's the coach doing to that girl back Right?
Im sorry ok. My devil took over!!!!!

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
What's the coach doing to that girl back Right?
Im sorry ok. My devil took over!!!!!
I was looking at the 2 front right, but ahem!:biggrin:

Shameful waste of talent at the LSE to do that, but also notice the name of the Student Union Paper and was also like :wtf:

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Took about 3 seconds to find out that the mascot has been a beaver since 1949, though to be fair the etymology of beaver as vulgar slang was first used in 1927:

There was a young lady named Eva
Who went to the ball as Godiva,
But a change in the lights,
Showed a tear in her tights,
And a low fellow present yelled "Beaver"

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Saw it in the Standard last night and despaired at the LSE Men's Rugby XV, the do-Goodyear complainers, but most of all the poor lasses who will no doubt be looking outside the University ranks for companionship and entertainment whilst in London.

Linking Julie Goodyear in this way , shocking , I'm off to complain :) ( sarc ....for the avoidance of doubt! )

Perhaps those poor lasses will find entertainment at the LSE comedy club........... No wait, .... All material has been checked and has been found to be appropriate for the rugby club dinner ....... No wait !!!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Took about 3 seconds to find out that the mascot has been a beaver since 1949, though to be fair the etymology of beaver as vulgar slang was first used in 1927:

There was a young lady named Eva
Who went to the ball as Godiva,
But a change in the lights,
Showed a tear in her tights,
And a low fellow present yelled "Beaver"

Does this theory pre-date that? 1450?

it was thought that prostitutes spread veneral diseases through contact with their pubic area, so the women were made "bald" in that area for health reasons. However, their clients did not like that look and business began to suffer. Therefore, pubic wigs, called merkins, were manufactured for the prostitutes. These merkins were made out of beaver pelts. Hence the term beaver.

It's the firkin Merkin's fault

Maybe it started in London, maybe Zummerset, any recorded script?

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Phil E:283036 said:
LSE rugby club disbanded - seemingly as much from their failure to properly contain/handle the crisis as from the leaflet itself.

http://www.theguardian.com/educatio...cs-lse-disbands-rugby-club-misogynist-leaflet

More like, no one in the rugby club had the bollocks to own up to writing the leaflet. So the club as a whole took the rap.

I guess we are saying the same thing, in different ways...

Seems like the blazers of the club needed to take charge, apologise unequivocally, and if was one of the blazers to force a resignation, if not one of the blazers to take swift disciplinary action against the author.

Instead they prevaricated and the whole shebang crashed down

Chris_j

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
The 'rugby club' in this instance is just a student society. Run by students, no Blazers to speak of. The story goes to the heart of a serious cancer in university rugby. There are no wise old Blazers there to offer sage words, and the culture in many university rugby clubs is increasingly perverted as each cohort that gains power tries to 'go one better' over last year's committee in the depraved inductions they afflict on this year's freshers. That then endures through the year in the behaviour of the rugby society at uni. Rugby players have a bad name at many uni's. My son talks of his torment at being ashamed to say he is a rugby player.

I know too many young players who have been driven away from the game at university by this abhorrent culture. Either the RFU, BUCS or the universities themselves need to sort it out before the game is permanently damaged.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
The 'rugby club' in this instance is just a student society. Run by students, no Blazers to speak of. The story goes to the heart of a serious cancer in university rugby. There are no wise old Blazers there to offer sage words, and the culture in many university rugby clubs is increasingly perverted as each cohort that gains power tries to 'go one better' over last year's committee in the depraved inductions they afflict on this year's freshers. That then endures through the year in the behaviour of the rugby society at uni.
I know too many young players who have been driven away from the game at university by this abhorrent culture. Either the RFU, BUCS or the universities themselves need to sort it out before the game is permanently damaged.
Well said.

Whoever the clown was who thought this was a good idea, needs a boot up the arse - especially for not having the balls to hold his hands up for it.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The 'rugby club' in this instance is just a student society. Run by students, no Blazers to speak of. The story goes to the heart of a serious cancer in university rugby. There are no wise old Blazers there to offer sage words, and the culture in many university rugby clubs is increasingly perverted as each cohort that gains power tries to 'go one better' over last year's committee in the depraved inductions they afflict on this year's freshers. That then endures through the year in the behaviour of the rugby society at uni. Rugby players have a bad name at many uni's. My son talks of his torment at being ashamed to say he is a rugby player.

I agree with this, Chris, and when I metioned blazers I was using it to mean students --- a student club still has the blazers, even if they are 21 year old third years, rather than fifty-someting vets.

Form today's news it seems like the club has form, quite a lot of form. Which I thnik demonstrates the sort of thing you mean.
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/oct/09/lse-rugby-club-racism-misogyny

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
more like it was one of the "blazers" that wrote it anyway....

didds