How's this season going re new law interprretations down in the weeds?

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I operate around Level 7 and 8.
Unfortunately my one pre season match was called of so first fixture will be Saturday.
Anyone noticed any difference at all?

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Tbh there has been a little more 'complaining' from the players pointing out what they believe is a 'high tackle' but a quick explanation soon puts them in order.

I have done 4 matches ranging from vets to L5 and (no surprise) the worst for this was the Vets. I had to point out the Captain of one of the sides that persistent appealing could/would earn a YC as set out in WR Clarification/Guidelines for the start of the 2018/19 season :biggrin:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Two games so far at Level 8 and 9. No real changes.

I ask them if they are aware of the new high tackle protocol..they or their coaches are.
I am being a little stricter on over the shoulder tackles than I was last season but no one is complaining.

Axial loading? Not really an issue, I have always told them to maintain their own balance and not pre-engage.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Just checking something. I was playing on Saturday. Had my opposite number leaning on me on "Crouch." Hand his hand leaning on my shoulder. I'm a LHP. I really have an issue with it and think that it should be allowed. Just been told that it wasn't by another ref. Can anyone clarify?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Just checking something. I was playing on Saturday. Had my opposite number leaning on me on "Crouch." Hand his hand leaning on my shoulder. I'm a LHP. I really have an issue with it and think that it should be allowed.?

did you mean "think that it should NOT be allowed" ? Just checking.

didds

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
did you mean "think that it should NOT be allowed" ? Just checking.

didds

Sorry. I meant to say I DON'T have an issue with it and think it SHOULD be allowed.

I was just checking that there was nothing prohibiting this. As it could possibly destabilise like in Axial loading. Without the neck/spine issues.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
There should be no contact on crouch.
The prop (and therefore the players behind him) need to be balanced and supporting their own weight, so there is no need to touch the opponent. If they are doing that it indicates instability

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Just checking something. I was playing on Saturday. Had my opposite number leaning on me on "Crouch." Hand his hand leaning on my shoulder. I'm a LHP. I really have an issue with it and think that it should be allowed. Just been told that it wasn't by another ref. Can anyone clarify?

The laws say "no player's head is touching the neck or shoulder of the opponent", so it's not been outlawed due to axial loading. At the lowest leagues, it's probably a helpful balance for the elderly and less gymnastically-inclined props. If it's in any way destabilising things, I'd stop it on those grounds.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Disappointing start for me poor game, lots of dissent from players and many clearly were not aware of new high tackle interpretations resulting in a card count of 3 yellows and a red to 4 yellows.
I handled the red badly.
Awarded a try to lots of heated wrong appeals about "double movement" I am in RL land!
One of the home players decides to shout out "He's a ****ing ******"
Deciding it was aimed at me I blew my whistle, said I'm not accepting that language and I issued what I thought was that players second yellow followed by a red.
Turns out it was his brother that had been yellow carded but I then stuck with the red.
Have reported it as such and I'll leave it to the suits.
Bad day at the office, I'll suck it up and move on.
I'll have to get a bigger notebook if this continues!

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Had 1 U16 game so far. Had 1 High tackle. No card needed. No flash points.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Couple of positional tweaks and work on speed. Get a better whistle was mentioned too lol. But Scrum and LO management were really good. Communication with the players was good and signals were also good. This was the feedback from my ref coach. All in all quite positive I think.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Yeah, I did. I wasn't 100% sure I would, but yeah I did. I felt that I'd done pretty well too. I was asked what I thought I'd done well, I gave my answers and my coach agreed.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
That, and don't make the house signal for a scrum :)[/QUOTE

I hear you... but it does have its use.
When the full back shouts from 40m away " What's it going to be Ref?"

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Couple of positional tweaks and work on speed. Get a better whistle was mentioned too lol. But Scrum and LO management were really good. Communication with the players was good and signals were also good. This was the feedback from my ref coach. All in all quite positive I think.

What kind of whistle were you using?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
That, and don't make the house signal for a scrum :)

so what is the signal for a scrum? Or is it just that it doesn't get signaled at all, ever, so anybody not in ear shot of the ref has to guess based on what the forwards may start to do - or not.
?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
so what is the signal for a scrum? Or is it just that it doesn't get signaled at all, ever, so anybody not in ear shot of the ref has to guess based on what the forwards may start to do - or not.
?

I'm presuming what's meant by crossref is that there is no need to give this ('house ') signal along with ie before or more usually after the horizontally extended arm signal.

Last edited: