[Law] Incorrectly taken conversion

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
My common sense tells me that, between them, they could manage a drop kick .

Tbh I think you could take any completely random selection of 15 eighteen year olds and within two minutes have at least one of them able to perform a drop kick .. explaining the concept to a 18 year old would require one sentence and a demonstration

Feel free to come up to the North East and do so, am sure it will be appreciated.

In Durham all junior games are appointed, experience has no bearing, some clubs have multiple teams, some have 3 players

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Seriously, are you saying that in North East you routinely start u18 games with a punt ?

Last edited:

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
But it takes about 10 mins to learn to drop kick, and its the very first thing that happens , in every game .. are you saying they have spent two season starting each game with a punt , and every ref in every game has let it go ?

B*******! I tried to learn for 25 years!

Then took up the whistle

Last edited:

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Seriously, are you saying that in North East you routinely start u18 games with a punt ?

Routinely no, and never deliberately in my games, but have there been occasions where the drop kick skill level has been so poor that an attempt to drop it regularly becomes a punt? yes. If having another go doesn't achieve what we want, then I have let it play as long as it's gone 10 and opposition are happy. I explain to players and coaches, and receiving team coach is generally more than happy for his team to get the opportunity to practice catching a restart under pressure.

Again, as long as not material then lets crack on.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I cant find a youtube video of it, but does anybody else recall a Fijian (?) kickoff where the player (a forward?) threw the ball in the air with backspin along its long axis (long axis parallel to try lines) such that it bounced, went up in the air and he volleyed it as it came down again?

didds

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I explain to players and coaches, and receiving team coach is generally more than happy for his team to get the opportunity to practice catching a restart under pressure.

TBH I think this is the important point. IME games when this happens are usually one-sided and the important thing is to make sure players are having fun.

I always remember a ref from my playing days saying "you're 50 points up, it was straight enough" after a wonky lineout throw. Even at the time I recognised that he knew what he was doing.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Isn't Safety-Enjoyment-Laws a good priority? If a team's travelled to enjoy a technically very low-level game of rugby, I don't see how taking up 10 minutes of match time coaching the opponents to do something they've not had the time and/or inclination to learn is going to benefit anybody. It's not high on the list of things to enforce for me.

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Hmm... I’m all up for enforcing the laws, but in game where a technical capability like drop-kicking is preventing any flow of play, surely the right answer is to get the game going. That’s not to say don’t coach - but surely every game doesn’t t need to become a DK lesson.
’m

RedCapRef

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
We are having similar issues down under, I coach girls U15 and U17 club rugby (7s competition only at the moment) and the girls really just want to enjoy themselves and get better. The Drop kick is a skill that we coach but not at the expense of tackling safely, passing, rucking and scrummaging safely. Just because they have been taught does not mean they can execute during a game though, that goes for all skills. We have been lucky with a good number of the referees adjusting their style to work with the girls and some now look for the games as they really enjoy the atmosphere that they generate.
As earlier commented by Flish there are often teams joined together just to get the girls playing at the weekend.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
A drop kick is pretty simple I just dont believe a team of u18 girls, in a game that has an appointed referee can't execute a drop kick

You'd be surprised.

I watched my lad (L5) refereeing a good standard of women's 7s in the Summer (on a live stream) and a few of the teams had players who couldn't kick the conversion from (mostly) bang in front.

One lass, ironically the one who scored most of the tries for Swansea, missed about 5 from in front - whether she was knackered or just rubbish I'm not sure. Either way a coach or someone nominated her to kick as the best (least rubbish) at it??

I often wonder that some women must be football converts and I would have thought they'd be ok at it.

I've let punts/letting it bounce a foot or two in the air and booting it on the way back down (as a restart) go in an effort to "let them play".

Old Tosspottians Ladies in the QF of the plate it's no big deal to me

YMMV

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I wasn't saying penalise them, I was saying do it again, or a different player can do it

A drop kick is pretty simple I just dont believe a team of u18 girls, in a game that has an appointed referee can't execute a drop kick

In a blow out game, with multiple players taking shots and missing, you're going to stress about this?

A very one-sided game and not long into the second half about eight tries had been scored without a single successful conversion so greens (the dominant team) were letting anyone who wanted to try a conversion have a go.

So they gave the ball to a second row who duly tried to punt it through the posts (and missed).

I'd suggest realigning your priorities.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Simon you are saying that a team who are winning a blow out game, and eight tries up , and punt a conversion kick should be given the two points anyway, as it's not important .

I stand by my answer , if they punt a conversion it's no fuss , no matter, but no points . Especially as they are forty points up already

But you disagree ?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The punt missed. It's a non issue.

But the OP question was what happens if it went over ?
I say it wasn't a proper conversion no points.

You are saying I have my priority all wrong .. so the implication is give them two points anyway. 50-0 becomes 52-0 or whatever

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What I am saying is take the skill factor into account. Also it is perhaps best not make too many assumptions.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
disallow the kick. No points and no retake.

If a hooker can't throw straight into a lineout - what ya gonna do? Let them keep retaking the throw?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If you award points for an incorrectly taken conversion then you diminish the skill value of the player who succeeds.

RedCapRef

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I was at a girls 7's Tournament at Canada Bay (Sydney) at the weekend and there was one girl who nailed almost all her conversions including those 5 - 10 metres from the touchline. She was playing for Illawarra Under 13!
Not sure how much coaching and how much just learnt by herself.