Is it time to make Mouthguards compulsory for rugby players?

Ewanvj

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I play rugby in the Welsh division 3 and am amazed by how few of my peers wear Mouthguards. For me it is an essential piece of kit that prevents costly and painful injuries while allowing me the psychological edge of knowing I can play full force.

Mouthguards are recommended kit and compulsory in some leagues but with the weight of evidence suggesting mouthguards can guard against concussion alongside the debate about repeated concussions in Rugby at the moment, is it time to up the stakes? What I'm talking about is referees checking a player is wearing a mouthguard before they're allowed on the pitch, just like studs are checked. The GAA, the governing body in charge of Gaelic Football has already taken this step and personally I think it would be a good idea for Rugby to follow suit.

I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of other players/ referees.

Ewan

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
From playing rugby at the age of 9 up to, well still playing the odd game at 44, I have never taken to the pitch sans mouthguard. Not a single, solitary game.

kielikili

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Compulsory here in Germany at every level, although you'd be surprised how many players at top level can provide medical attests detailing their severe asthma that allows them to be exempt from the rule:chin:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
as a club we make them compulsory for all contact games and training up to U19.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
There are two elements to your post:

a) is it a good idea to wear a mouthguard? For me, the answer to that is a clear Yes!
b) should the laws of the game mandate the wearing of such kit? Much more difficult. The laws mandate shirt, shorts, underwear, socks and boots. It doesn't mandate headgear, shinpads or any other safety kit. It DOES say (in the foreward) that the safety responsibility lies with the coach - and by inference the club:

[LAWS]It is the responsibility of those who coach or teach the Game to ensure that players are prepared in a manner which ensures compliance with the Laws of the Game and in accordance with safe practices.[/LAWS]

At present, then, if a player takes the field without adequate safety protocols, the club is liable. Your approach would wish to make this the responsibility of the referee - and as a referee I don't like that approach. Before long, we will start exploring the fuzzy edges of this responsibility, with injured players pointing out that there's plenty of evidence to indicate that a dentist-fitted gumshield is significantly safer than a "boil in the bag" DIY job, and yet the referee allowed the player onto the field. When a forward's gumshield lands in the mud and he deposits it in his pocket awaiting a sluice of water when he's next near the touchline - who is responsible for compensating him when he's concussed before he gets there?

I am a fan of personal responsibility. By all means educate about the benefits of mouthguards - but then allow people to make their own minds up about the extent to which they wish to put themselves at risk.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
There are two elements to your post:

a) is it a good idea to wear a mouthguard? For me, the answer to that is a clear Yes!

I am a fan of personal responsibility. By all means educate about the benefits of mouthguards - but then allow people to make their own minds up about the extent to which they wish to put themselves at risk.

I agree with this.

I made my two boys wear mouthguards from starting rugby. They were at different clubs (don't ask) and at one it was mandatory whereas at the other it was not. Son senior managed to knock out his upper mid incisors before he started rugby so his mum made him wear one (build by a retired dentist) to protect his remaining teeth and our significant investment in his dental work. Son junior was at the mandatory club so that was a no brainer (the wearing of the guard, not my son - however?)

Both are still playing and wear them at all times.

I tried to get on with them (mouth guards) but found myself gagging despite cutting bits off to make them less gag inducing. Luckily I made it to the end of my playing career with all 32 teeth intact - although I am having a wisdom tooth out next week.

Mr Grimsdale!!!!!!!!

Ewanvj

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Glad to hear you all appreciate your gnashers!

Some good points Dixie that I had overlooked, particularly regarding when a mouthguard comes out and the added responsibility on referees. Perhaps it could just be the case that a referee checks that players are wearing a mouthguard prior to kick off but that is where the regulations end??

I do feel that at least work is needed to dispel the taboo of wearing a mouthguard as 'soft' by some clubs. But how can coaches be convinced?

Felk

Referees in England
Post Likes
Never. I've never worn one once in 37 seasons. If you're over 18 then freedom of choice should reign. Why bring the Nanny state into rugby.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Never. I've never worn one once in 37 seasons. If you're over 18 then freedom of choice should reign. Why bring the Nanny state into rugby.

I for one would support your right to be a complete idiot ...

(if the point of impact is a single tooth, it really doesn't take much to knock it right out).

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I play rugby in the Welsh division 3 and am amazed by how few of my peers wear Mouthguards. For me it is an essential piece of kit that prevents costly and painful injuries while allowing me the psychological edge of knowing I can play full force.

Mouthguards are recommended kit and compulsory in some leagues but with the weight of evidence suggesting mouthguards can guard against concussion alongside the debate about repeated concussions in Rugby at the moment, is it time to up the stakes? What I'm talking about is referees checking a player is wearing a mouthguard before they're allowed on the pitch, just like studs are checked. The GAA, the governing body in charge of Gaelic Football has already taken this step and personally I think it would be a good idea for Rugby to follow suit.

I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of other players/ referees.

Ewan
Irrespective of individual view points, it'll never happen.
Let all Adults decide for themselves. The RFU status Quo of 'Highly recommended but not compulsory' is the sensible approach for Juniors IMO. This way there isn't any Insurance liability for 'duty of care' etc, The practicalities of barring kids who turned up without one would turn this subject into a war zone.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The practicalities of barring kids who turned up without one would turn this subject into a war zone.

not really: at our club they are mandatory for kids and any kid who turns up without one can't play (or train with contact).
But we also sell them in the clubhouse, so they can run and buy one.

(if he doesn't have any money with him, yes we'd lend it to him!)

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I do feel that at least work is needed to dispel the taboo of wearing a mouthguard as 'soft' by some clubs. But how can coaches be convinced?

Never heard of that 'taboo', and every single coach I know or have come into discussion with advocates mouthguards......... sounds like isolated hearsay to me ! But Hey, here's a thought , why not make all kids go to school with sun ray visors on , hats with neck covers, long sleeved shirts only, gumshields / elbow & kneepads for playtime, add in banning pushbikes,scooters,skateboards,trampolines,pony's, Frisbees quad bikes, darts & any edible item likely to be a chocking hazard. in fact.....lets live in underground bunkers - it's too dangerous out there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
not really: at our club they are mandatory for kids and any kid who turns up without one can't play (or train with contact).
But we also sell them in the clubhouse, so they can run and buy one.

(if he doesn't have any money with him, yes we'd lend it to him!)

Crossref, I can't believe that you are unable to see all the likely scenario's that would cause schools & teams difficulty in achieving 100% participative compliance on the subject ..so i'm classifying you as devils advocate on this subject. But for the avoidance of doubt, if a player didn't like wearing one, and his parents were still happy for him to play.....would your club ban him? ....... + will you pay me £10 for every player at your club training or playing each week without one when I come and organise a unannounced audit check one sunday am or midweek training night - deal?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Both my front teeth are crowns. I lost one to a cricket ball at school and the other to a squash racket at university. When I started playing club rugby, gumshields were rare, particularly in the backs, so I never got round to acquiring one.

I agree with "highly recommended but not compulsory" for adults.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I have half crowns on both of my front incisors too.

but it wasn't sport, it was "rescuing" my wee bro from some aggro in a discotheque in Newry, Co.Down.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Crossref, I can't believe that you are unable to see all the likely scenario's that would cause schools & teams difficulty in achieving 100% participative compliance on the subject ..so i'm classifying you as devils advocate on this subject. But for the avoidance of doubt, if a player didn't like wearing one, and his parents were still happy for him to play.....would your club ban him? ....... + will you pay me £10 for every player at your club training or playing each week without one when I come and organise a unannounced audit check one sunday am or midweek training night - deal?

browner - clearly there's a possibility that a kid can get out on the pitch unnoticed, so of course you might well win a tenner or two, but honestly that would not be allowed if noticed: the coaches don't seem to have any any relucatance or problem enforcing the rule, and kids being forced to go buy/fetch a mouthguard or sit out are completely commonplace.

I'm not advocating a Law, but our club policy has very widespread support (I've never heard anyone argue against it) and it just doesn't seem problematic to apply.

My son changed clubs last season and the same policy applies at his new one.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
You must be damn old, only my parents called them discothèques !! :bday:

Felk

Referees in England
Post Likes
I for one would support your right to be a complete idiot ...

Who the hell do you think you are. I knew this was too good to be true. I thought I had found a forum where people discussed things without malice or abuse, but I was wrong, all forums have people like you crossref, people who are too free with the keyboard. Never write anything you wouldn't say to someone's face and if you are the kind of guy who would call someone a complete idiot just because you disagreed with them then you lack social skills.

Next time you send someone back 10m or worse yellow card them for being abusive I suggest you have a deep introspective moment.

Its a shame, I was enjoying this forum. Time for a break I think.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
browner - clearly there's a possibility that a kid can get out on the pitch unnoticed, so of course you might well win a tenner or two, but honestly that would not be allowed if noticed: the coaches don't seem to have any any relucatance or problem enforcing the rule, and kids being forced to go buy/fetch a mouthguard or sit out are completely commonplace.

I'm not advocating a Law, but our club policy has very widespread support (I've never heard anyone argue against it) and it just doesn't seem problematic to apply.

My son changed clubs last season and the same policy applies at his new one.

Mine has widespread support for 'highly recommended' ............. but the mum who drops her 14 yr old off at training, lad marches across to middle of pitch in the pissing rain & wind on a February night as mum zips off in car to do the weekly shopping, Oh no, I've forgot my gum shield ..... " sit out over there lad, I know you'll get pneumonia, but you'll have safe teeth to chatter on route ! Q? I wonder why the RFU don't make it mandatory? & whilst we're chatting, why doesn't your club go a step further & make it mandatory for headguards & shoulder pads as well? :chin:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
oh for goodness sake, felt, that's a bit over-sensitive ?

IMO it IS idiotic to play rugby without a mouthguard, and it's hardly very offensive to say so, is it?
but I support your right to make a choice.

but as you were offended: I am happy to say I am sorry I called you an idiot.

Last edited: