Is it time to make Mouthguards compulsory for rugby players?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
But with gum shields, is there a major downside? I am trying to think of (non-medical) reasons why a player might choose not to wear one, any ideas?
Uncomfortable
Makes it hard to breathe
Cuts the inside of the mouth
Makes you gag
Unhygienic (I accept that they could be sterilised in between games, but by the same token young men might also wash from time to time and do the dishes - let's stay in the realms of the probable)

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
If you want a comfortable one then visit your dentist who will make you a bespoke one with a posh case too!

Ewanvj

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Uncomfortable
Makes it hard to breathe
Makes you gag
Unhygienic (I accept that they could be sterilised in between games, but by the same token young men might also wash from time to time and do the dishes - let's stay in the realms of the probable)

I think this is one of the problems, people still have an outdated view of mouthguards as chunky blocks of plastic that make you gag. Before the custom-fit one I wear now I was wearing a SISU Guard which is 1.6mm thick and you cant even notice you are wearing! (definitely sounded like a rep for sisu then) but my point is there are options available and players should be educated.

I had started to believe that maybe highly recommended should remain the standard before looking into injuries caused by teeth on others, I'm now back at my original compulsory standpoint, it can't be that hard.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
looking into injuries caused by teeth on others, I'm now back at my original compulsory standpoint, it can't be that hard.

yes - that's the factor that one day will cause mouthguards to be compulsory in adults.

adults are free to take foolish risks with their own teeth, but one day we'll take the view that naked teeth are actually a danger to other players, and we'll make people wear guards, just as we make them remove rings, and check their studs/boots for sharp edges.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
A view from a long ago thread on this very topic -you are protecting your own lips/cheeks from injury from your own teeth. Teeth are designed to cut flesh -ask any dog.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Uncomfortable
Makes it hard to breathe
Makes you gag
Unhygienic QUOTE]
+ makes verbal communications more difficult to understand . . . . . .

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
yes - that's the factor that one day will cause mouthguards to be compulsory in adults.

adults are free to take foolish risks with their own teeth, but one day we'll take the view that naked teeth are actually a danger to other players, and we'll make people wear guards, just as we make them remove rings, and check their studs/boots for sharp edges.

For years my elbows, knees, boots & head were a danger to other players, wonder when we'll be forced cover or remove them, or perhaps play in slippers ! ............. If my teeth ever damage an opponent, i'll claim the Horwill Defence, I didn't know his head was there & I was unbalanced by my tongue that slipped on my saliva !

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
And how about a mouthguard for referees in view of the risk of high speed contact?

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I for one would support your right to be a complete idiot ...

(if the point of impact is a single tooth, it really doesn't take much to knock it right out).
I didn't wear one from age 15 up until when I stopped playing aged 21. I was a lock/flanker so my head was often down the bottom of a ruck etc and whilst I have copped a boot in the face/mouth I still have all of my teeth.

I didn't feel comfortable with one in and breathing wasn't easy for me so I decided not to wear one. Now if a referee tried to make me wear one I would pull one out of my bag and chuck it in but it would be thrown to the sideline pretty quickly.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I always wore one. I think we bought one the same day we bought boots. Never played a game without one. Perhaps if you start wearing one from the very start you just get used to it and all the issues that have been raised do not occur?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Now if a referee tried to make me wear one I would pull one out of my bag and chuck it in but it would be thrown to the sideline pretty quickly.

And that's the really pragmatic issue... if it became law how could a referee be expected to apply it across all 30 players spread over a full pitch for 80 minutes? How does (s)he deal with "its somewhere in their 22 where ity got knocked out but I am having to defend in my own half and can't be expected to go an look for it."

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
didds - similar questions could be asked about studs - how do you ensure that players don't change their boots/studs after the inspection (while replacing their rings and nose studs, grabbing their kevlar helmet, adding 2cm to the their line-out grips and pulling on flesh coloured leggings).

I don't see moughtguards becoming compulsory, but if they were I don't think it would be that hard to enforce.

the mouthguard that falls out would be like the shirt that comes off - play on and then go and fetch it.
and coaches would have to have a couple of spares in the kitbag.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
didds - similar questions could be asked about studs - how do you ensure that players don't change their boots/studs after the inspection
More likely is a failure to change - which can be caught by insisting that the player reports to you after the change. I agree it may be difficult to spot otherwise, but lack of a mouth guard would be more obvious.

I don't see moughtguards becoming compulsory, but if they were I don't think it would be that hard to enforce.

the mouthguard that falls out would be like the shirt that comes off - play on and then go and fetch it.
and coaches would have to have a couple of spares in the kitbag.
Coaches? At Old Rubberduckians Extra B? Spare mouthguards - one size fits all?

KieranW

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
This is the first time I've been aware of people who choose specifically not to wear a mouth guard, and it is quite astounding to me! I have an opro one fitted by a dentist and it's brilliant (and actually reasonably priced). Opro came to my college and everyone who required one had a mould taken there. For me it is a no brainer to wear a mouth guard but I don't think the responsibility should fall to the referee. It should be compulsory at age grade with the responsibility falling to the coaches. If adults choose not to then that's their own fault.

And after breaking my nose playing squash I may end up wearing one then as well! Want to keep these gnashers lookin' good.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I often forgot it when I first started playing in high school. When I got braces at 15, my parents made it clear forgetting was no longer an option. From that point on, I never played or trained without one. Our high school association has a strict no gum shield/no play rule. Referees check every player before every game. I have the same policy for training. I will not allow any student to train without one. If I do, and some kid's teeth end up on the gym floor/on the pitch, I can be held liable.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
This is the first time I've been aware of people who choose specifically not to wear a mouth guard, and it is quite astounding to me!
Serious? Out of the whole District squad I help out with, I reckon only 5 players use gumshields. I must admit I find it strange, because in my playing days nearly everyone used them.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Serious? Out of the whole District squad I help out with, I reckon only 5 players use gumshields. I must admit I find it strange, because in my playing days nearly everyone used them.

that's wierd because as kids I bet they wore them, and at the top level they might apsire to all the pros wear them.
Odd that people are taking them out. Must be some kind of strange peer pressure?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
didds - similar questions could be asked about studs - how do you ensure that players don't change their boots/studs after the inspection

you are of course quite right... but its far less likely I would strongly suggest.

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Coaches? At Old Rubberduckians Extra B? Spare mouthguards - one size fits all?

absolutely. Boil in the bag MGs - where's the kettle on the council pitch a mile from the changing rooms?

Non starter.

been thinking about the boots/studs... at least once the game has started its unlikely to occur. the GS could be discarded in an instant. And I don't accept its easy for a ref to ensure such a law was enforced - At least half the players at any time are at least 10m away. the back 3? Not a chance.

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
shrug.
yes if someone is determined not to wear one, and willing to indulge in some subterfuge, then I am sure they get away with it, just as with many other rules.
If I was detemined to wear illegal studs I'd simply have a spare pair of boots to wear at the warmup and stud check -- and swap them before the game started.
If I was determined to wear a knuckle duster I could do the same.

but in practice : in clubs where mouthguards are compulsory somehow it just doesn't seem contentious or hard to enforce.

(but I am not advocating compulsory wear for adults)

this debate is reminding of the debate over compulsory seatbelts back in the 80s - which was also contentious but looking back seems like a fuss about nothing.

It's still going on in China though --

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/11/chinese-thwarting-seatbelt-laws-with-t-shirts/

I guess people could similarly paint their teeth :)