[Law] Is this forward pass

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
At the back of a ruck , 9 fishes out the ball and passes to a stationary pod

So no one is moving

The pod is 15m away from the 9, 1m back .

There is a strong headwind so to pass to the pod the ball actually leaves the 9 slightly forwards, curving in flight back to the pod

Who would peep , thrown forward ?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Not sure what the catch is.... but if you mean the ball left the 9s hands slightly forward then that's exactly what it is....forward!

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If he throws it forwards, yes.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Yes, it's forwards. But given it's highly unusual and they're already playing into a fierce wind, I'd have a word with SH and captain at the next pause and tell them that their pods need to be deeper and why.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Yes, it's forwards. But given it's highly unusual and they're already playing into a fierce wind, I'd have a word with SH and captain at the next pause and tell them that their pods need to be deeper and why.

Coaching?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So far one person NOT blowing his whistle and two who haven't said ?

( I know reading legalisticly it fits the definition of a throw forward . I asked who would actually blow their whistle and give a forward pass)

Last edited:

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
So far one person NOT blowing his whistle and two who haven't said ?

( I know reading legalisticly it fits the definition of a throw forward . I asked who would actually blow their whistle and give a forward pass)

Which category do I fit in...not blowing or haven't said?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Which category do I fit in...not blowing or haven't said?

You restated the Law (which I knew, it's why I asked the question) but didn't actually say you'd blow your whistle

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It's a forward pass....so yes I'm blowing!

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Coaching?

Yep, in exceptional conditions.

I've played a couple of matches in storms like that and there's no way the pod is 15m away, mind you; if I ever get to ref at the level that's possible I may well just blow it up as I'd expect better from professionals ;)

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
OK, I'm playing Devils Advocate a bit here, but if we expect a Hooker to take the wind into account when throwing into the LO, why wouldn't we do the same with a SH throwing to a pod?

To be honest, I'm not sure I would count that as a forward pass .... provided the player who caught the ball was behind the thrower when he caught it.

Last edited:

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
OK, I'm playing Devils Advocate a bit here, but if we ask a Hooker to take the wind into account when throwing into the LO, why wouldn't we do the same with a SH throwing to a pod?

I'm all for empathy and game management but should we ask a hooker to take the wind into account? Can they not figure that out for themselves?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
OK, I'm playing Devils Advocate a bit here, but if we ask a Hooker to take the wind into account when throwing into the LO, why wouldn't we do the same with a SH throwing to a pod?

To be honest, I'm not sure I would count that as a forward pass .... provided the player who caught the ball was behind the thrower when he caught it.

Edit..In response to your edit! !

Are you really going to go against what W.R. tell us is a forward pass?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I'm all for empathy and game management but should we ask a hooker to take the wind into account? Can they not figure that out for themselves?
OK, I've changed "Ask" to "Expect".

The question still stands; we expect a Hooker to allow for the wind at a LO, why wouldn't we expect a SH to allow for the wind if chucking to a pod?

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So I think
Decorily is blowing the whistle
Rich Taff (and me) are not blowing our whistle

Anyone else willing to come off the fence ?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
OK, I've changed "Ask" to "Expect".

The question still stands; we expect a Hooker to allow for the wind at a LO, why wouldn't we expect a SH to allow for the wind if chucking to a pod?
Because 9s tend to be annoying little b******s!!

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'm not blowing for that and the other side will get the same consideration in the next half.

As for 'coaching'? Not much different from warning a defender that he's overstepping the line (when not material, of course).

I'm all for seeing some rugby played.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So , I make it

1 person blowing whistle
4 not blowing

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'm not blowing for that and the other side will get the same consideration in the next half.
And what if there isn't a 'next half'. ..last minute of the game and try is scored after an obvious forward pass!