[Law] Is this forward pass

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
As for 'coaching'? Not much different from warning a defender that he's overstepping the line (when not material, of course).

Entirety different.
Good game management.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
And what if there isn't a 'next half'. ..last minute of the game and try is scored after an obvious forward pass!

And what if that doesn't happen? And what if . . . . .

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So I think
Decorily is blowing the whistle
Rich Taff (and me) are not blowing our whistle

Anyone else willing to come off the fence ?

If C&O forward out of hands I'd blow. But I doubt it would be C&O.

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
At the level I ref players just want a game, where they can play some rugby, so I am looking for reasons to keep the ball alive - that sounds like play on. (There will be many other opportunities to have a scrum though poor handling on those conditions).

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The difference between the hooker throwing in at a lineout and the pass into a strong wind is that the position of the lineout players is dictated by the laws. They cannot adjust to suit the wind conditions, therefore to keep things equitable, we expect the thrower to try and compensate fairly and make an effort to get the ball to land centrally.

However during passing play the potential receiver(s) can position themselves to allow the passer to pass legally by lining up slightly further back than normal.

I expect referees to sanction forward passes and expect players to adapt accordingly. If you don't, it becomes a lottery with players not knowing how much latitude will be allowed.

Do we really want players saying, "But Sir, I had to - the wind was too strong"?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
what if the wind was strong at their backs so that the pass was backwards but the pod had to stand in front of the SH to receive the ball?

Hint: [LAWS]A player who receives an unintentional throw forward is not offside. [/LAWS]

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So dickie and mcroker also not blowing
So it's 6 :1 in favour of play on , only decorily giving a peep

OB still on the fence .. can't quite bring himself to say if he would blow the whistle or not.. so on the field has the moment passed .. didn't blow it ?

Anyone else ?

Last edited:

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I'm pretty sure OB is saying to blow the whistle.

Having thought about it and seen the points made in this thread, I think my initial management choice may be incorrect. Coaching the pod to stand further back is incorrect, and blowing for a scrum is perhaps the best communication method towards both teams.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If I see it I give it. I don't ignore the laws and it is not in my ref playbook on materiality. Bit like a crooked feed really.

belhysys

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
as someone said, imagine wind from the back. Pass backward, but wind move it forward and get caught by player starting in onside position. Would you blow forward pass..
i doubt

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
as someone said, imagine wind from the back. Pass backward, but wind move it forward and get caught by player starting in onside position. Would you blow forward pass..
i doubt

So for the OP scenario , are blowing whistle ?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
In the OP, to be clear: the ball goes forward from the Scrum Half's hands?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
blowing the whistle
- decorily, bellhysys, Rich NL (change of heart). [OB]

not blowing
- taff, ChrisR . Dickie E, mcroker [Pinky]

not sure / haven't said
- Chuckie B, Simon Smith

[is on the basis of liking a post]

Some of the responses weren't completely clear, please correct me if I have got you wrong.

Anyone else?

Interesting question..

As Dickie said, the corollary is : a severe tail wind, the pod position themselves a 1m in front of the 9.
The 9 passes flat, allowing the wind to take the ball forward to the receiving pod.

If you blew your whistle in the OP then this time round you logically have to play on
But if you played on in the OP ,, then you get to blow your whistle now the wind has changed (phew, as everyone is going to expect you to!)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
not blowing
- Dickie E,

Not quite. I'd blow if C&O

As Dickie said, the corollary is : a severe tail wind, the pod position themselves a 1m in front of the 9.
The 9 passes flat, allowing the wind to take the ball forward to the receiving pod.

If you blew your whistle in the OP then this time round you logically have to play on

I wouldn't blow for forward pass but what about offside?