Is this tackle OK?

You are from the....

• SH and this tackle is fine at Elite but a PK at Grass-roots

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Looked legal to me - all that stopped the arm wrap was the players bouncing apart. The arm was in position to wrap, which pulls the shoulder in and prevents the point of the shoulder doing the damage. Yes it was solid, but if you tackle without intent the only one who gets hurt is you.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Looked legal to me - all that stopped the arm wrap was the players bouncing apart. The arm was in position to wrap, which pulls the shoulder in and prevents the point of the shoulder doing the damage. Yes it was solid, but if you tackle without intent the only one who gets hurt is you.

people always talk about these sort of tackles in terms of what it takes - mentally and physically - to put a big person down. Fair enough.

But out there on the field on Sunday morning when I actually see one of these ultra-hard tackles performed.... nine times out of ten it's performed BY a big person TO a little one. Not so brave at all.

Davet

Post Likes
Erm - that wasn't anything to do with my post. All I said was that if you go into a tackle half heartedly you will be the one getting hurt - and that is true regardless whether you are big or small. It's not about bravery, if you have a good technique then you don't need to be brave.

One thing that I do get annoyed about is that tackling skills seem not be taught - there is tackling practice, but good technique seems to be expected to be absorbed by soem sort of osmosis, rather than explicit instruction about what is good technique, and why it works. Judo clubs run through the moves in slomo, with demonstrations broken up by stopping and explaining. I rarely see that in Rugby clubs.

EDIP - Explanation, Demonstration, Imitation, Practice - the 4 steps to mastering a physical skill.

Davet

Post Likes
During basic training my Sergeant-Major never touched me either, but he did shout, VERY loudly; with his face about 1cm from mine, I can still see the broken veins in his face and the spittle flecked lips. Not a pretty sight.

I don't think he was "grooming" me.:norc:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
If that had happened in a senior game I was reffing I wouldn't have a problem with it, but technically it isn't even a tackle surely as the victim wasn't held. :chin:

DEFINITION: A tackle occurs when the ball carrier is held by one or more opponents and is brought to ground.
As somebody mentioned previously though, I think he would have been held if the No 10 hadn't bounced off the "tackler".

If it had happened in an U19 game, I think I'd stop the game just to check the No 10 was ok :wow: have a quiet friendly word with the blue player and restart with a scrum to blue. You can imagine a "tackle" that hard putting some kids off rugby for life.

I bet he won't try to catch an overhead ball (therefore leaving your ribs exposed) against a Samoan side again. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I posted this poll in another rugby forum to get a mostly player's perspective.

Poll-1.png

The results are remarkably similar

► Tackle is fine at any level
....REFEREES: 88.4%
......PLAYERS: 86.8%

► Tackle fine at elite but PK at grass roots
....REFEREES: 4.7%
......PLAYERS: 5.7%

► Tackle PK at any level
....REFEREES: 7.9%
......PLAYERS: 7.5%

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Sorry, but don't see what the issue is here?